i hate going to gym alone

Options
do most of you train with buiddies? it is kind of depressing working out alone and also unmotivating. i think i should recruit a workout buddy.

Replies

• benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the gym on my own. Once a week I attend an RPM class and go swimmng with my wife. I don't mind attending the gym on my own.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Insanity with my wife. Were doing it together!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i train alone, but i run which is kind of a solo thing. occassionally i'll meet up with mates for a run for the motivation.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    I love going to the gym alone haha. If I go with others, they don't make any difference to my motivation, I feel like they slow me down even.
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i prefer going to a gym alone :) i can not talk to someone while i workout
  • XDiet_SlayerX
    Options
    I enjoy going to the gym alone. That is my me time. I see friends in there from time to time I went to school with in the past and say a quick hello. Although I really don't like training with anyone unless I need a quick spot when I'm going to failure on a set or maxing out.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Have you actually worked out with a friend before though, at a gym? I find it distracting and irritating, unless said friend is at the same place as me fitness-wise, and into the same exercises.

Otherwise, so what, who cares.
    bXOMzvi.gif
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I really prefer to work out alone. It's my "me" time to get in the zone. Most of my friends don't like to work out the same way I do, and it's a distraction. I do like friends for longer hikes. However, I feel like if you do like that social aspect, join a class and meet some folks perhaps?
  • Bdmiller42
    Options
    I enjoy working out alone. I'm not much of a treadmill person so I just run with my dog. It's nice to have company during a jog in my opinion.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My wife and I lift together constantly. It can be a bit of a chore with plate swapping and whatnot, but the very few negatives are well worth all of the positives. ;)
  • AmandaW01
    Options
    I prefer to go to the gym alone - I worry that if I had a workout buddy it would demotivate me if they stopped, or weren't there - I also like to completely zone out, be by myself inside my own head and not have to chat or look after anyone else. Its my time for me and as a working wife and mum of 3 I don't have that very often :-)
  • Dexidah
    Dexidah Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have really bad social anxiety, so if I don't take someone with me I'll probably not go at all. lol

I haven't had any trouble when I've taken my work-out buddies, I can usually stay pretty motivated even if they decide to stop and sit for awhile. I just like knowing that there's someone there that I know, I guess. Helps keep you accountable and gives you a good boost of "umph" if you're feeling a bit sluggish.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Iv got to admit I like my alone time at the gym. I use it to completely switch off from whats going on in my life. I fond I dont think about anything other than my workout, pushing that bit harder, going that bit longer and occasionally a quick glance at the cute guy lol
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I hate going to gym with people. I love going alone. just me and the ipod!
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Working out alone works depending on what you do I think. You also need to find a gym buddy at the same levell or fitter\stronger than you (depending on goals).

I like training on my own, but have set more PR's with someone there, push more, and get the extra rep etc, Is hard to find now, as not many people in the gym lift my numbers

Can't do cardio with a buddy as I'm - Too competitive, and I suck at cardio
  • never124get
    Options
    When I used to have a gym pass it used to be my "me time"...now I don't have it and I work out at home and are constantly interrupted but everyone and their mother. It's life though...I really should get back to the gym though...
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I usually go with a friend, and we help and support each other, but at the moment due to our work commitments I go on my own and its not too bad. I usually just focus on what I am there for to be honest. You tend to get use to the other people who attend. I also do a dance class and I do that on my own.
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I hate going to the gym.
    Zone out watching movies or listening to music and just push harder.
    Nothing worse than having to encourage somebody who is reluctant to be doing something imho.

You will have the excuse of not having your buddy there as reason not to go at all.
    Suck it up.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out alone.

Although spotting can become an issue.

I think people are specifically avoiding me during my working sets as I've asked them to spot me too many times.
  • Sarahlascelles
    Sarahlascelles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I understand your dilemma, I dislike the gym floor at the best of times. Have you considered classes?