Most ridiculous serving size?

Options

Replies

• tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    A Tombstone pizza serving size is 1/5 of a pizza. How do you cut a circle into 5 equal pieces???

I don't bother. Just multply by 5 and then divide by 2 or 4 or however many you cut.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I giggled at some of the ridiculously small serving sizes you guys came across (especially the Pam spray! lol).

In all seriousness, the stuff that completely screwed me when I started trying to eat right was following the serving sizes on pasta!! It said "Serving size - 125g". The first time I served it up I thought "Holy cow that's a shedload of pasta" but I served it anyway because that's what the packet said to eat (it was actually about 1/3 more than I would have served us pre-lifestyle change). It wasn't until my partner said "no, I can't eat that much" and tipped half of it back into the pot that I started to think maybe it was a stupid size but I really wanted to have faith in the serving sizes on the packets! I have since learned that it's totally ok to make 125g of pasta for the TWO of us and it's now only 175-250 cals each (depending on the type of pasta and whether it's fresh or not) instead of up to 500 calories each!
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    This is slightly off topic for this thread, but some of the serving sizes that users have entered for nutrition information on this site are ridiculous in a very BAD way.

For example, for Humm brand hummus, the serving is listed (in more than one entry) as "1/3 cup (15 grams)" . . . . . . well, the 15 grams is correct, but that's for 2 Tbsp.

So if anyone isn't actually fact-checking on the label, and is measuring by volume, they are getting over 2.5 servings and counting it as one -- on a relatively high fat/high calorie food.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm Norwegian, and truly puzzled over the whole "serving size" thing - more and more label their products per 100 grams and for that I'm thankful. Why call it a "serving" in the first place? I can have seconds or thirds, no problem, but "one serving equals not enough for anything useful" is just.... crazy - and definitely not very helpful. Probably just the manufacturers' way of selling a product that seemingly is healthy, low-fat or whatever. I like the gram/desiliter approach when it's possible to estimate. I try to use "cups" for measuring pasta, that is an understandable approach (though 1 cup of pasta is still.. tiny...)

I'm basically puzzled over serving sizes in general (I rarely have ONE serving), beginning to learn the oz-world and make do with a calculator if need be. Shouldn't be necessery but still. One thing I really don't understand:

Net carbs

What is that, anyways???
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    Anything that measures a service in OZ. Like tortilla chips or Pirates Booty. Just let me know how many I have to count out....

I disagree here due to the fact that at least a third of the chips in the bag will get broken, and I'd rather not try to piece them back together before eating them. Also, I can't think of any chips or crackers etc. I've had that don't list in weight AND number of units (ie "30 grams/approximately 16 crackers") --- but I'm in Canada, so maybe laws in the US allow manufacturers to get away with more shenanigans.
  • Arianwyn_T
    Options
    my coworker bought scooby-doo gummies, and my other coworker and I decided to read the label --- 1 serving was 8 gummies for 80 calories. that's 10 calories for a tiny little waxy nugget for sugar with a weird after-taste! She asked if we wanted some . . . we declined.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I don't know about serving sizes but I have an irrational hatred of any container that has fractional servings. Servings per container - 2.5. WTF?

"How many servings shall we put in a container? Two or three? Oh, *kitten* it, let's just split the difference and call it two and a half."

So if it's just me and the wife, we have to store or throw half a serving, or over-eat.
    If it's me, the wife and our daughter, we get stiffed on the servings, or have to open two packets and store/throw two servings.
    If my step-son is visiting, we have to open two packets, and store or throw a serving.
    Or you could just not eat the exact serving size they recommend.. Ie 2.5 servings a pack, 85 cal a serve, 3 people eating it
    85 * 2.5 = 212.5
    212.5 / 3 = 71 cal each. Easy peasy.

Agree that it's silly, but throwing stuff would be 20x sillier
  • greyoutside
    Options
    I don't know about serving sizes but I have an irrational hatred of any container that has fractional servings. Servings per container - 2.5. WTF?

"How many servings shall we put in a container? Two or three? Oh, *kitten* it, let's just split the difference and call it two and a half."

So if it's just me and the wife, we have to store or throw half a serving, or over-eat.
    If it's me, the wife and our daughter, we get stiffed on the servings, or have to open two packets and store/throw two servings.
    If my step-son is visiting, we have to open two packets, and store or throw a serving.

So this is exactly what I was going to say. Two is optimal because I can split those things with someone. Three is okay, because then I just eat 1.5 servings and call it good. 2.5 is just silly.
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options

If cereal is bad, what about granola???? 1/3 of a cup? 1/4 cup? Who in the world can eat 1/4 cup of cereal? What's the point?? Granola's so expensive, anyways. If you're going to buy it, you might as well be able to ENJOY!!
    Granola is atopping,not equal to cereal. 1/4 cup is plenty mixed in with yogurt.

I also have hard time with ice cream. 1/2 cup is too little. But Once when visiting Louisville KY, I saw many places selling a " personal pint". Pint's a pint!! Not to be eaten alone in one sitting, use a scoop!!

Pam....the best!!! 1/3 seconds!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    In new Zealand everything has to have nutritional info per 100g as well as the manufacturers arbitrary serving size.
  • RabidCarrot
    RabidCarrot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was trying to buy some nuts. Every bag I picjked up was 3 servings. WTF? How can you open an already small bag, and just eat 1/3 of it. It's just ridiculous.

^^this^^ and the small bags of barenaked granola same thing 3 servings @ 140 cals each
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This is slightly off topic for this thread, but some of the serving sizes that users have entered for nutrition information on this site are ridiculous in a very BAD way.

For example, for Humm brand hummus, the serving is listed (in more than one entry) as "1/3 cup (15 grams)" . . . . . . well, the 15 grams is correct, but that's for 2 Tbsp.

So if anyone isn't actually fact-checking on the label, and is measuring by volume, they are getting over 2.5 servings and counting it as one -- on a relatively high fat/high calorie food.

I've noticed this, but I believe it's some problem with the entry settings for the Data base.

If you have a food like peanut butter, on the jar it says -serving size 32g / 2Tbsp.

If this is input into the Data base as - serving size= 32g (equal to 2Tbsp), and then you recall the Peanut butter to enter into your days food the drop down choices for serving size may be

32g (equal to 2Tbsp)
    1g (equal to 2Tbsp)

The Data Base only converts and calculates the first figure given not anything in the brackets. So '2Tbsp' stays the same no matter what weight is entered/eaten.
    Confusion as it is not always clear if the 2Tbsp equals 32g or 1g, etc
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    PAM cooking spray for the win!!!!

pam-nutrition.jpg

1/3 second spray? really? WTF?

This wins hands down. Oh gave me a good laugh this morning...
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    Options
    I need to know who just eats half of the brick of ramen?? If I'm going to embalm myself with salt and carbs, I'm going big. I"m eating the WHOLE brick.

For the record, I actually only eat half a brick of ramen, unless I'm eating it dry. I just can't eat that much pasta at one time...I'll have half for lunch and half for dinner.

I hate anything that a serving size isn't "x peice/s" if like bread, "x whole cups" like cereal, or "1 container" like a bottle of juice...canned food being all "2.25 servings per can" ugh :\
    Or anything measured in teaspoons... or things like doritos... 11 chips? no. if I'm eating doritos I'm eating more than 11 because I don't get them often enough for that. Haha.
  • joddumz
    Options
    Twix.... 2 servings.... since when?

amen!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Quorn tikka masala ready meal. 1/2 a pack is a serving. Who eats half a ready meal?
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Quorn tikka masala ready meal. 1/2 a pack is a serving. Who eats half a ready meal?
    well that actually makes a lot of sense in some cases :smile: for instance,one of my fav carb sources are ready made potato mash,500g...half of that with 2 oven roasted salmon fillets..believe me,thats a full one meal.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be surprised if the next bottle is measured in fathoms...or fortnights? Leagues! Shakes of a badger's tail.

I LOL'd at this. :laugh:
  • smantha32
    Options
    (haha I forgot the quote - it was for the cheesecake factory!)

YES THIS DRIVES ME CRAAAAAAAZY! I've actually asked them for their nutritional information and they looked at me crosseyed like they had just seen a ghost or a zombie :ohwell:

You can get it online. Be very afraid though. They have more calories than any other restaurant in the country. Even their supposedly healthiest salad is over 2,000 calories.
  • smantha32
    Options
    PAM cooking spray for the win!!!!

pam-nutrition.jpg

1/3 second spray? really? WTF?

I think I read some woman sued them over this. The calories were low enough that they could put "0" per serving, so she was spraying a crapload of it into her pans, but when you use a bunch of it there ARE actually calories. She sued for false advertising. I think she won it.