Any other science minded people out there?

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Mechanical engineer here, and working on my masters.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,677 Member
    Options
    PhD in Math.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    just a plain lab analyst here, but i used to be a bricklayer.... go figure? lol
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Here.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    nerd here!!
  • pinchincents
    Options
    It's crazy trying to find time for everything so good for you for pushing through! I am a mom to 5 children who are 12, 10, 8, 2 and 1 years old. I'm a full-time college student who strives to be on the Presidents list all the way through. We are also a homeschooling family and I also run a business from home. It is crazy trying to fit in working out with schoolwork and everything else. Not easy at all, but we keep pushing through because we want to have more energy and live a healthier life. I have a ton of baby weight to lose over the next year or so. Whenever I want to give up, I look at my future of pain. That keeps us going.

I'm currently getting my Bachelor of Science in Information Technology. Keep up the great work!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    i only do BRO science sorry

jokin , yes its my passion
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Present -- trained as a Biomed Engineer (BS, MS, DEA), cell adhesion, hip design, ex lab-rat... 20+ years in healthcare related work.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/evgenizyntx

Every once in while one of the nutrition, health or weight loss subjects will grab my interest and I'll read up and post my impressions here. Latest was on BMR calculations and a few of the issues: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/896207-bmr-equation-references
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I don't have much of a scientific mind so maybe someone can help me. What's the scientific reason why our own farts smell good and everyone else's farts are disgusting?
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I am a professor of theoretical physics, I assume that counts?

AWESOME.
  • norghost
    Options
    I don't have much of a scientific mind so maybe someone can help me. What's the scientific reason why our own farts smell good and everyone else's farts are disgusting?

Every day, science strides proudly forward, giving long awaited answers to important questions like these. How is the layout of our solar system? How does evolution work? How do we perceive farts?

On a related note, this is my new favorite interwebsite: http://examine.com Although I don't think it has the answer to above question yet.

edit: wow, this forum is stupidly simplistic. No URL linking, no bold/italic, no embed.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Had no idea there were so many scientists on this site alone. Really wonderful. :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

that would make a really good PhD thesis for someone. The first question I'd want to know is whether the effect is purely psychological - i.e. you know it's your fart so it doesn't disgust you, but the idea of breathing in someone else's fart does, so the smell is interepreted as being more offensive..................... or, can humans really distinguish their own farts from those of others purely by the smell.

I can just imagine some of the experiments that would be necessary in order to answer these questions. :laugh:
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am a professor of theoretical physics, I assume that counts?

Oh wow, I'm a theoretical physicist too! Not a professor yet - I have an independent/senior researcher position at the moment - but working towards it!
  • fkwilhelm
    fkwilhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I was able to make my office healthy during renovatiin when I moved - I havea standing desk, e.g.
  • sabaman27
    sabaman27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Third year medical student! science > not science
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I was able to make my office healthy during renovatiin when I moved - I havea standing desk, e.g.

I'm jealous!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Sorry. "Science," if you can call it that, conflicts with my religious beliefs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you smart people sure are impressive...
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    bill neigh the science guy