Crazy Early Morning Workout People

Options

Replies

• moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Got any tips for us peeps that still can't drag our butt out of bed? :smile:

do it once. after you do it once and feel how amazing the rest of your day goes, you won't look back. :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 4:30. I have to get up before I think about why I'm doing it. I am NOT a morning person. But it's worth it. Most days I wouldn't get it done otherwise.
  • Cinabean
    Cinabean Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am a night owl. I HATE getting up early (yes, all caps). However, with two kids & crazy schedules - I find that for a regular routine, I'm better off getting up early. I started by setting my alarm a little earlier each day. Yoga sessions of ~15 minutes have led to this morning's session of ~40 minutes, all before waking my youngest up. I feel much better when I sit down to work for the day (I'll sometimes jog for a while with the dog after the bus comes)...but still detest getting up early. lol
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm 5:30 during the winter. I'm going to aim to be up a bit earlier in the summer when it gets brighter earlier. I try to fight my natural rhythms as little as possible.
  • TimSPC
    TimSPC Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to switch to early workouts for a while. What are your secrets?

Use an alarm clock that allows you to pick a song to wake up to. I use my phone's alarm and I pick a song that is either motivating or pleasant to hear in the morning.

The worst thing in the world is to wake up to some screeching, beeping alarm. Why would you want the first thing you hear every day to be something you don't want to hear?
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Best tip I have is to sleep in your workout clothes. That way you are already dressed and ready to go. And it makes you feel stupid if you slept in your workout clothes and then didn't get up to work out. :smile:

The downside is that my body is so trained to get up at 5:00 am that even on the weekends I am wide awake and raring to go. And if you have a "friend" sleep over after a night of drinking, they will just about want to kill you when you are bouncing around the house at 5:00am.
  • methridg
    methridg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I will be completely honest here. I do my workouts at 5am simply because then when I get home from work at 6pm every night, all I have to do is cook. I can just relax and not worry about anything! Granted, I DO feel better throughout the day etc. etc. but my motives were mostly to be able to sit around at night and not feel guilty! :)
  • ludiball
    ludiball Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    (Sigh)... I am so NOT a morning person and I already get up at 5:30 to get to work..but all of you are motivating me to give it a try. I always say that the only thing that will get me out of bed early is a fire or a bomb...and the bomb would have to blow me out. But..I am nothing if not open-minded... so I will give it a try. Here's to hoping that it sticks...
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I get up around 4:50. Used to hate it; now I love it. It is awesome to look at the clock at 7:00 and know I've busted my behind in the gym for 45 minutes, cooked breakfast for my family, had a shower and dried and straightened my hair, put on a suit an heels, and nudged the kids through getting dressed AND I still have the whole day to get things done. I'm so much more productive this way!
  • xNightguestx
    xNightguestx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think I may give this a go tomorrow! Currently on half term as I work at a school and I get so lazy as the days go on lol maybe this will keep me buzzing all day!
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the dark side. I am up at 4:30 and out the door to the gym before 5. It's the best way to start your day! It does suck getting up early some days but it's worth it!
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Yes morning workouts are awesome I'm up at 4:30am normally even though this week I have been slacking a little. :drinker:
  • JayFred71
    JayFred71 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I LOVE getting my day started with a morning workout! The only day I donot do this is on Monday's, but that's because I take a Zumba and an Aerobics class after work on that day. Since it's essentially 2hrs worth of working out, my reward is sleeping in. That being said, "sleeping in" means waking up by 6:30am! :-)

I always set my coffee maker the night before, so I can have a cup before my workouts. But the endorphines that kick in, early in the morning, are THE BEST!!! And last me all day. Just be sure to go to bed at a decent time as well. Good rest is JUST as important as exercise and nutrition!!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Welcome to the morning--it takes some getting used to, by like everybody mentioned, it starts my day off right. I'm up at 5:00, workout from 1/2 hour to an hour, and by the time I'm done, my kiddos are up, and we're ready to go :). I also don't feel like I'm missing out on any of my precious family time 'cause everyone else is sleeping :).
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join the early club but then you have to goto bad by 10pm latest.
  • JennyJo23
    Options
    I was the same way.. I barely get up at 6:45 much less any earlier to work out. This week I started getting up at 5:30, working out from 6-7 and I still have time to go home shower and get ready for work at 8. It does make me feel good doing this. I do dread that alarm clock but after I'm up and on my way I know I'll feel better. Today however I didn't go (shame on me) but with snowfall of around 5 inches or so I don't want to get out in it to go to work much less to work out. But I'll be up and at it tomorrow morning. keep up the good work everyone. Have a good day
  • babyblues4
    babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    5am work outer here! Love working out first thing in the morning! LIfe gets too busy once the hubby and kids get up and the first thing to go on the back burner is my workouts .. so early morning it is
  • trccc
    trccc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Up at 4:30, watch the morning shift guy unlock the doors at 4:57, and back home by 5:45 to get ready to leave for work by 6:15 or so. A bit hectic to get it all in. BUT the benefits - the workout is DONE. If work sucks that day, I can go home and do NOTHING. And I am more energized during the day. And I do not have to sacrifice family time at night to go work out. Oh, and the gym is never as crowded at 5 am as at 5 pm. Well worth being an early riser and worth going to bed by 9:30 or so. That's what the DVR is for!
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:05am to workout and on the days I oversleep, I hate it! I am more sluggish during the day and start dreading doing the workout after work when there are a million other things going on and my daughters (5 and 3) try to 'help' me or follow the dvd - cute but DISTRACTING! Plus when I workout in the evenings I find that I can't fall asleep for hours.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    (Sigh)... I am so NOT a morning person and I already get up at 5:30 to get to work..but all of you are motivating me to give it a try. I always say that the only thing that will get me out of bed early is a fire or a bomb...and the bomb would have to blow me out. But..I am nothing if not open-minded... so I will give it a try. Here's to hoping that it sticks...

Just do it!! I said the same thing a few months ago. I already get up at 5:30, why would I want to get up even earlier?? But about once a week now, I'm getting up at 5:00 and hopping on the stationary bike. I get to watch the news, burn ~200 calories, and get some energy for the day. It's not so bad.

I ALWAYS lay out my workout clothes the night before, so it's all ready for me to change into. And have a bottle of water handy. Makes it much easier if I don't have to go looking for stuff.

The energy I get for the rest of the day, plus not having to worry about a workout in the evening, definitely makes it worth getting up early. On the days that I plan to get up at 5:00, I've actually been waking up a few minutes before my alarm. Guess I'm getting used to it!