Insanity and sore muscles, need advice

Options
Hey!

I started Insanity on Monday and I'm unbelievably sore!! I can't go up or down stairs, sit down with out support etc. How do you get over the soreness?? I can barely function at work, but I would like to keep going, so any suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I took ibuprofen and stretched. I work at a call center so I could minimize the movements when needed.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I felt really sore when I first started as well. Make sure you stretch really well. Don't worry it will get easier :)
  • gennafer731
    gennafer731 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Advil, foam roller, massage, keep moving (sitting still and sleeping seem to make soreness much worse when you do have to move), and yoga/stretching.
  • vickidemartinez
    Options
    Ibuprofen, warm up exercises and stretching before work. It will get better. Don't stop!
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i took advil the first week but kept working out and drank soooo much water the second week the soreness was gone i have one step in my house and i was having trouble that first week
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Boost your potassium! I'm not /sure/ of the science behind it, but it has always worked for me. Have a banana and some sweet potatoes and you'll start to feel better. :)
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Stretch as much as you can,stay active and some recovery formula,I find really helps me.I don't have the beachbody one.I just bought one from the pharmacy and I find that it really helps with my soreness.

WELL DONE on doing insanity!Keep it up!!I ca not say enough good things about it!It's amazing :smile:
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Drink TONS of water. That, and some pain reliever, really does help. Drink an extra 2-4 glasses, at least. I didn't believe it, then tried it, and it does help, a LOT!!
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen before bed, Ibuprofen upon waking.

you're asking your body to do something really hard. it will adjust in time.

keep pushing play!!
  • lawrence_warmachine
    Options
    If you're new to intense\this training, then maybe it's a shock.
    Before exercise, warm up. Just do the same movements as the workout, but lighter resistance for a bunch if reps, so it's not a shock to ur system.

After workout, cocoa can help relieve pain. I think doing a 'bar hang' after lifting helps.
    I recommend using the Power Plate post workout to stretch statically.
    Also do deep knee bends n stuff after.
    Tiger balm or ;CAUTION: 'chilli muscle rub' lightly applied before bed. TINY amount.
    Then sleep in a jogging suit. It warns you up like HELL.

Honestly, I do this myself. Having deep tissue massage, hot cupping or acupuncture reeeeally help.

Secret weapon/ jump rope skipping whilst breathing deeply: will loosen up every single muscle in your body.
    Use a 'speed' rope. Believe. U think ur too stuff but you'll do it., not on concrete tho.

If you're sore don't train for a few days. Maybe a week. Eat well, balanced fats n proteins and keep moving.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    It wears off by the end of the first week, so don't worry too much. You just have to grin and bear it.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it. After a while you will get to the point where you cant get yourself to be sore, no matter how hard you work/lift. I would kill for that burn.
    Nothing but good stretching and working out that lactic acid will help. Just give it a few days...and for the love of God dont let the soreness discourage you continuing to bust your *kitten*! It will get better I promise
  • heatmack
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I will be giving them all a try this week!
  • squashyhelen
    squashyhelen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt in a bath! It's my go to pamper reward for working out esp hard.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Stretching, hydrating, advil and just time.....after a while, the soreness isn't as bad, but it never goes away.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options

Oh I LOVE baths! There are so many different things to do with baths!

I take this one bath sometimes with epsom or sea salt and baking soda, and I just float in it. It's supposed to be a detox but remember, bathing in salty water will dehydrate you so bring a nice big glass of water or tea in there with you. And don't stay in there longer than 20 minutes.

If you have any essential oils or aromatherapy around, they can really add to your bath experience.. lavendar is my favorite, but you can add sage, eucalyptus or chamomile. Anything relaxing for you will help relax your muscles :)
  • kg4ulu
    kg4ulu Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Keep doing it! Seems to me when I am sore I still do the workout at hand when scheduled and it helps loosen me up. Take the other advice as well: stretch, Epsom salt baths, ibuprofen, and heating pads too.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Add some lavender essential oil to the epsom salts and it's like a spa retreat. The magnesium in the epsom salts is absorbed by the skin and takes care of the aches. Works like a charm for me after a race! :heart:
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don't do Shaun T's stretches. Do your own for twice (or three times) as long. I found that he never stretched enough, nor did he stretch your arms. I found that helped me.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Advil and use the foam roller if you can find one. They definitely help. Don't do any static stretching before the workout though, save that for afterwards. You can actually do MORE damange by static stretching cold muscles. Stick to the warm ups in the videos for stretching.

It will get better as your body adapts. But personally, I don't feel like I've worked hard enough if I'm not at least a little sore the next day.

Have fun and DIG DEEP!! :flowerforyou: