Fitness myth pet peeves...

Options
Top of my list: "Women shouldn't lift heavy weights or they will get bulky"

If I hear one more person say that...I lift moderately heavy weights (10 reps or less) 3 times a week and I continue to get lean.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Top of my list - that you need a heart rate monitor. And that they are totally accurate for calorie burns.

But the bulky thing is high up there.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The bulking one gets to me, too. Only about 2% of females even have the capability to bulk up. It also bugs me when people gain a pound in one week and others suggest that it's all muscle. No one can gain 1 pound of muscle in one week!

I also hate it when people imply that cardio is bad or somehow a waste of time. Grrr.
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    Another one would be people that think they know a special formula that works for everyone's body. I'm a mesomorph, I need a good balance of weights and cardio to get the body I want. I did it 10 years ago and got the results that I wanted. Some people need more or less cardio depending on body type. People so badly want to listen to everyone instead of experimenting and figuring out what their body likes.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    You can spot reduce

You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (this made me sad when I found out)

Women get bulky if they lift heavy

Gaining strength and gaining muscle are the same thing
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    "You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time"

Ohhh that hurt me to my heart when I found that out. :(
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Another one would be people that think they know a special formula that works for everyone's body. I'm a mesomorph, I need a good balance of weights and cardio to get the body I want. I did it 10 years ago and got the results that I wanted. Some people need more or less cardio depending on body type. People so badly want to listen to everyone instead of experimenting and figuring out what their body likes.

I agree with this one. What works for you will not work for someone else because you are not the same person. You could use it as a rough guide, but don't expect the same result.... Don't people read the fine print?
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    Bigger means stronger (talking about biceps in my arms)...NOPE! I'm smaller now than I was a year ago- and can lift WAAAAY more!

You have to eat 1200 calories to lose weight...pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!

You can't eat cheeseburgers, chocolates, cupcakes........HA!

You can spot reduce....(nope, doing crunches will not make you lose your belly- you need to get rid of that fat by eating right and working hard!)

Thin people are always fit.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    You can't be fat if your an ectomorph. It's to do with bone structure and the disposition to gain fat.

I was an ectomorph at 295lbs and I am still an ectomorph at 203lbs.
  • sharmaineclement
    Options
    Ah, I mean I lift 15 lbs about the same amount a week, and its just toning, as long as your not lifting on top of fat, I think people think that doing crunches and lifiting is going to help you loose weight, cardio has really helped me slim down and now i lift etc.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    going faster = burning more calories

This just really isnt very true. I see women going super fast on the elliptical machines with little to no resistance and i want to tell them to slow down and bump up the resistance but i suspect that would be rude.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I hate when I hear another woman say she wants to "tone up".
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Everything that's ever been said on MFP.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    1. You must eat breakfast to "boost" your metabolism

2. Eating after a certain time suddenly turns to fat
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    going faster = burning more calories

This just really isnt very true. I see women going super fast on the elliptical machines with little to no resistance and i want to tell them to slow down and bump up the resistance but i suspect that would be rude.

But that makes it harder!
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Anytime I read/hear this, it is like nails on a chalkboard. A pound of dirt weighs as much as a pound of feathers. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so you can have more of it, but the two weigh EXACTLY the same.
    ^^^^^^ THIS!! Cracks me up every time!
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Eat many smaller meals to boost your metabolism.

Squats are bad for your knees/back.

How much can you bench, bro?
  • theJamesHey
    Options

We all know a pound is a pound is a pound.

But you hit the nail on the head, Muscle is more DENSE than fat, so by definition, a cubic foot of muscle weighs more than a cubic foot of fat, just like a cubic foot of dirt weighs more than a cubic foot of feathers.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    everything that's ever been said on MFP

^^^ that's for you, secretlobster!

ETA...

damn... ok how about duplicated posts? or posters who never read the prior responses?
    or...

OMG I'm never going to make my 1000 calorie limit today... I can't possibly eat that much!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    You can spot reduce....(nope, doing crunches will not make you lose your belly- you need to get rid of that fat by eating right and working hard!)

Couldn't agree more! It starts in the kitchen and you'll get a whole lot more out of TOTAL body work than "spot" training any day :)