MELALEUCA vitamins?

Options
Cheri1218
Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
I have used the women's formula of daily vitamins from Melaleuca and really like them, but can't afford them. I bet a regular daily vitamin would probably be fine, but I wondered if anyone has found something similar they like.

Replies

• cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    When I need to do something like this, I take the bottle with the vitamins and % compare to generics in the store and go with that one. Good luck!
  • Cheri1218
    Options
    When I need to do something like this, I take the bottle with the vitamins and % compare to generics in the store and go with that one. Good luck!

I need to do this for sure. But there is also something the Mel vitamins supposedly has that makes them absorb better in your body. Maybe it's just big hokey. :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    Supplements are not really regulated. I feel like the claims by the manufacturers are just marketing hype. I buy Centrum. Who knows if they are good or bad. I figure at least it's a huge company so the ingredients are probably fairly fresh. But I could be totally wrong. :laugh:
  • Cheri1218
    Options
    In case anyone else wonders, I did find one that was almost identical to the Melaleuca, without the monthly obligation to buy. It's GNC's Women's Ultra Mega multivitamin.
    GNC's is stronger in 17 of the vitamins and minerals, equal to the amount on six, less than the amount on five (but still 100% allowance or better for four of those) and the "secret" ingredient in the Melaleuca (Boron,as boron amino oligofructose complex) is 150 mcg in Mel, but 2mg (which is 2,000 mcg) in the GNC.
    The price is about identical (about $16.99 for the vitamins only - Mel tries to sell it in a pack with an added calcium suppliment bottle for more), but like I said above, there is no monthly obligation to worry about.
    You can get it at a GNC store, and also online through Amazon and Drugstore.com (my latest favorite website besides MFP!)
  • auuudriana
    auuudriana Posts: 18
    Options
    Off topic but my mom totally used to work for them.
  • Cheri1218
    Options
    You get what you pay for: Melaleuca is worth the money-even if you don't become a preferred customer and just by them direct!

Oligo binds minerals to organic compounds to mirror the way they are naturally found in fruits, vegetables, and other whole foods.
    Proven by science to be up to 10 times more available for absorption than the competition †
    Traditional mineral forms can crystallize in the intestines, making them difficult to absorb. Oligo helps keep minerals soluble in the intestine—where nutrient absorption takes place.
    Protects antioxidant vitamins from free radical damage up to 5 times better than the leading brands †
    Traditional mineral forms can cause an increase of free radicals, robbing the antioxidants in your multivitamin (vitamins A, C, and E) of some of their potency before they can be absorbed. Oligo guards the minerals, reducing their ability to generate excess free radicals.
    We challenge our competitors to produce any evidence contrary to these scientific findings
    Oligo was developed by Melaleuca scientists and verified by leading researchers in the field. We challenge all vitamin and mineral supplement manufacturers to perform their own test and see how their supplements stand up against Oligo.

You seem sensitive. I did not mean to hurt your business, just stating what my internet search has shown. In the majority of my googling on the effectiveness of multi viatmins, Melaleuca is almost never mentioned. Maybe they should try to get into more studies. It would seem more valid if other researchers besides your own actually ranked the pills. In this one that I did find that finally mentioned them, the Mel brand ranked 39 out of 101, but the GNC brand ranked 19 for effectiveness. Maybe you should complain to those scientists too.
    http://www.multivitaminguide.org/
    I plan on buying the GNC vitamins today and will switch directly to those so I will be able to see if I feel any different. I will let you all know if I do.
  • JHenryID
    JHenryID Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I need to do this for sure. But there is also something the Mel vitamins supposedly has that makes them absorb better in your body. Maybe it's just big hokey. :smile:
    It's not a big hokey. It has been scientifically proven.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Studies ? Perhaps from the salesmen ?

The statement "It has been scientifically proven" is not proof.
  • JHenryID
    Options
    The statement isn't proof, but the studies are. No sense arguing -- truth will win out.
  • Bambalama
    Bambalama Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Then cite the studies, otherwise it's all baloney. Provide a link, and it had better be a link to a scientific journal. If studies are not peer reviewed, double blind, etc, then it's just advertising, and not from a real scientific study. I haven't seen any definitive studies to suggest one way or another. I don't support Melaleuca because they are too into politics.
  • JHenryID
    Options
    Here is one: http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-9-61.pdf

The Oligo process received a patent in September 2012, so there is likely info that can be looked up there that you might be interested in.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Here is a thread from today coincidentally that has links to four studies in The Annals, a peer reviewed journal, that show no efficacy for vitamin supplements for healthy people.
    Most people are wasting their money.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1153345-vitamins-overrated
  • cmriverside
    Options
    If anyone here is a customer or marketing executive or is curious about the company, please contact me. There's a lot of information to the company and its research that get lost within the site.

So, proof is in the 'pudding' which i hope if you are all challenging yourselves to loose weight, arent eating -_-

This is a Journal which can be found within the website.

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-9-61.pdf

bumps a year old thread with his first post, encourages people to "contact him" about the magical properties of the over-priced MLM Maleleuca Vitamins.

Right.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    AND DON'T EAT YOUR PUDDING. Or JSF.
  • Zoko69
    Options
    Here is a thread from today coincidentally that has links to four studies in The Annals, a peer reviewed journal, that show no efficacy for vitamin supplements for healthy people.
    Most people are wasting their money.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1153345-vitamins-overrated

I'm assuming that this is the post in which you were relating to...

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1789253

" They conclude that most mineral and vitamin supplements have no clear benefit, might even be harmful in well-nourished adults, and should not be used for chronic disease prevention."

A very simple statement with a complicated situation.

1) MOST Vitamins and minerals had no CLEAR benefit. Which seems to imply there are those that are or may be beneficial. (and Melaleuca is the only company i know to have such claims on their vitamins and a journal to back it up i.e. my previous post.)

2) Might even be harmful in well-Nourished adults. First, an intake than what is necessary from water can be lethal ( http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill ). Thus, we can conclude to any obvious point that anything in overabundance may be harmful. Second, being well-nourished isn't as simple as it sounds, nor is available for all. My personal diet consists of a lot protein and few carbs and varied greens and fruits. Taking vitamins is necessary for me (assuming that they work) because of the lack of actual nutrition i consume, unfortunately. But i feel healthier, more energetic, and cognitively functional than the people i surround myself with, well nourished or otherwise. Or maybe that's the meditation and energy work that I practice....(There are those that claim that they do not eat anything whatsoever, that they are just as healthy as those of us who still need to consume physical objects to be nourished.)

3) Should not be used for chronic disease prevention. I completely agree. The point of consuming nutrients in a regular patter is to maintain homeostasis of the body. In fact, there is much evidence to create the contrary, that fasting (opposite to consuming nutrition) is a way for the body to help detox itself.

So, are vitamins necessary? Not necessarily, and neither is food apparently. MOST seem to have no benefit on those who are already properly nourished. Now, I wonder how that would translate to those lacking a proper diet by choice or by chance. Maybe it's even possible to nourish poverty stricken individuals. Now that's a research subject I would love to see (and after this post am going to look for.)
  • Zoko69
    Options

bumps a year old thread with his first post, encourages people to "contact him" about the magical properties of the over-priced MLM Maleleuca Vitamins.

Right.
    '
    i'm pretty sure i didnt say anything about them being "magical". And i was expressing my openness to potential customers, already customers, and possible marketing execs who might not have known where to get information from (which im assuming since some people claim to use them here).

So, as my third post, I'd like to take that pudding away from you since that "bad fat" seems to be getting into you head causing cognitive dysfunction. I do sincerely hope that your 18,460th post will be something that adds to the conversation with a sense of growth rather than some sort of ignorance.

p.s. Whats JSF?? >:o
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Right.
    '
    i'm pretty sure i didnt say anything about them being "magical". And i was expressing my openness to potential customers, already customers, and possible marketing execs who might not have known where to get information from (which im assuming since some people claim to use them here).

So, as my third post, I'd like to take that pudding away from you since that "bad fat" seems to be getting into you head causing cognitive dysfunction. I do sincerely hope that your 18,460th post will be something that adds to the conversation with a sense of growth rather than some sort of ignorance.

p.s. Whats JSF?? >:o

awesome third post.

:huh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

marketing?
  • rtk8
    rtk8 Posts: 2
    Options
    I encourage everyone to look at the facts, instead of just throwing out conjecture and misstatements. Obviously some science is better than others, and for some companies none is ok, and they are proud of it. That has not been my experience with Melaleuca. Melaleuca has received two patents on their vitamin technology from the US Patent Office: #8,273,393 B2 and #8,697,258 B2, that does not happen without science. The patent must show uniqueness and originality. Melaleuca also had world leading scientists, Dr Gary Beuttner leading free radical scientist at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, and Andrei Kamarov research professor at George Washington University Medical School on the research team that developed the Amino Acid Oligo Fructose technology, and they are listed in the whitepaper that was submitted in the patent process. After all it is not what we take that is as important as what our body can absorb and use. Common sense tells us that we can eat rock that is full of minerals, but our bodies can't use it. That is essentially what many manufacturers do. That whitepaper is available at the following link: http://www.oligofructosecomplex.com/documents/oligo_whitepaper.html.
    As for me, I have had much personal success in the relief of my allergies, reduced blood pressure, and reduced cholesterol thru the use of their products. I have tried many supplements in the past from GNC and local health food stores and spent many times the money I do with Melaleuca's supplements, and I never had any improvements in my true health. My experience with other companies is that they claim to have science, but you rarely ever see it. Melaleuca on the other hand This is probably more than you wanted to know, but if you want to go deeper this will give you a starting point.
  • rtk8
    rtk8 Posts: 2
    Options
    I totally agree that most vitamin and mineral supplements are a waste of money..Most, not all. Most minerals are in an isolated form: look on the bottle for carbonate, sulfate, gluconate, and even chelate. The body can use very little of those forms. The best way for us to get vitamins and minerals is from food, primarily fruits and vegetables. Melaleuca's Amino Acid Oligo Fructose technology mirrors the way that plants deliver vitamins and minerals to the body. A couple of problems here: 1) In only 2009 CDC reported that only 14% of adults receive their daily allowance of fruits and vegetables. 2) Our food supply is nutrient deficient: from 1940 to 1991 the mineral content in vegetables decreased by 43%, and in fruits decreased by 22%. So, how do we get those nutrients? 3) As we get older (40+) our bodies absorb all nutrients less efficiently, so we need to eat more quantity for our bodies to receive what it needs, which generally means more calories. A vicious cycle. Why do most diseases occur after 40? The Nobel Prize winner, Linus Pauling, concluded that every disease could be traced to a mineral deficiency? Minerals are considered the "spark plugs" of the biomechanical engine called our body. Minerals are the trigger for over 20,000 catalytic reactions that occur in our body on a daily basis. Without those minerals those reactions don't occur. Important? You decide! Melaleuca's supplements are a superior choice, and I think they are the cheapest "health insurance" policy on the planet.