Getting Rid of Cable

Options

Replies

• RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    We have been cable/satellite free for almost 13 years. Only have Comcast for high speed internet. I've never regretted it. Too much crap on anyways and I think it was one of the best things we did for the kids. Now we just utilize Netflix streaming and discs to watch exactly what we want when we want.
  • jneill69
    Options
    In lieu of my earlier comment about not giving up cable due to sports, I can also say we have a Roku and an Apple TV. Both are great.

Apple TV is awesome because it can stream your itunes library. And, if you are technically savvy, you can also stream movies from a computer on your network (PC or Mac).

Roku is also awesome and has a lot of "channels" you can download to add more functionality.

I don't think either would be worth it without Netflix and/or Hulu.

Oh, and if you have Amazon Prime, the Roku can stream free movies from that. Apple TV cannot.
  • dancinmama
    dancinmama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just got my roku, it's great!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Get a roku and netflix and you'll be fine. I've been cable free for probably 6 years now. I was doing the Xbox 360 thing for a while with my Netflix, but decided to ditch the Xbox Gold membership (used to be $50 a year, but I heard they upped the price). I think the lowest end roku is like $50, one time investment and you're good. Also, there is an app for your roku (I forget the name) that will let you watch youtube videos as well. Pretty darn convenient. But then, I barely watch sports so that sort of thing was never a big deal for me. The games I do watch I go over to someone else's house and watch it on their TV :smile:
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    We only have internet.
    No landline and no cable at all.. not even good old basic abc, nbc etc.

It's fine.... you get used to it, you get more active.... and honestly with netflix/hulu and streaming on most channels websites I don't even miss it.
  • ldbuster0
    Options
    I should give up cable. We have cable, Netflix, and a Roku. We just keep wasting money.
  • jumpingsquare
    jumpingsquare Posts: 10 Member
    Options
  • Eifersucht
    Options
    We ditched cable almost three years ago and I love it. We pay $52/month for internet and $30/year for phone (MagicJack). Netflix streaming lets me watch basically whatever I want, with the exception of The Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy, which my fiance buys online because he's hooked on them. I watch Grey's Anatomy on abc.com for free.
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Two years cable free here. Best decision ever. I ended up getting more hobbies, doing more things with my husband, etc. We have Netflixs, and I watch some streaming online. I do miss the local news.

If your worried about ESPN, Xbox live has that on it, if your a gold member. :)
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    We live with my parents (long story short: I wanted to be a SAHM when my son was born in 2007, so my parents let us move in with them; we're still here because the economy tanked...plus we get along with my parents...they live downstairs, we live upstairs...it works). They have cable on the tvs downstairs. We do not have cable on our tv upstairs. Mainly because I'm not sure where they'd have to run the line for our tv (and I like to re arrange my living room every 6 months or so), but also because we don't watch a lot of tv as it is. Mainly just the news and on occasion, some reality shows we both like. Never heard of Roku...but it sounds like it's worth looking into.
  • oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am currently leaning towards getting rid of cable in the next week or so and trying to go with just internet. I figured if I can get used to it now(the down time of sports) since I follow the Reds and they rarely are on TV here in SC anyways, so i am not out much.

I may start with xbox 360 for a while- my concern is the XBOX being on a lot more than normal. I have a blu-ray player and I believe it has an ethernet connection so i need to look into it too before I purchase a roku
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Cable free for 5+ years. We get Netflix and Hulu through XBox Live. The only thing I was bummed about when ditching cable is we pay more than half of what both cable and internet would be for just internet. I have to look at it as a cost savings for something we didn't really use anyway - but you pay more because you only get one service.

It was a minor adjustment because any TV watching I do now is deliberate. No more channel surfing or catching an old movie on the weekend. I have to CHOOSE something.

It does have my kids spoiled though. There are so many kids shows on Netflix my son doesn't understand when we go to other people's houses and you can't watch Sesame Street 24 hours a day. They only get 1-2 shows a day but they can pick from the entire universe of kid's shows - not just what is on TV at the time.
  • Compudad
    Compudad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use a product called the Visio Co-Star. It is a small Google TV box with several different video streaming services, a web browser, email and any other Android application that you can get.

It cost $100. and is the best thing ever to happen to television. Got mine at visio.com
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    In FL i had a booster antenna and got more channels from the antenna than from the cable connection, so only paid for internet.
    In CA, I think that they have jammed the antenna channels, so bought both cable internet and tv for $56/ mo.
    They really saw you coming!

I expect that antenna tv is on the way out, because ATT and cable pay millions in bribes, whoops! pay millions in campaign contributions to Congress.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have been cableless for almost two years. Get a Roku, Netflix, and Hulu. That way you can watch TV shows and rent movies through Amazon when you wish.

Pretty much this. Cable is a waste of money. I gave it up a couple of years ago--even with my Netflix/Hulu subscriptions, I'm still saving tons. Other shows I'm able to watch some way, whether online or otherwise.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Well I do love my tv shows on HBO and Showtime. Right now I'm actually going to get rid of internet, especially since the DSL isn't working these days. I pay a little over $200 for cable, internet w/ phoneline. I figured I can do away with the internet, especially since I tend to use it mostly while at work. I have a side job but I can always go to a local coffee shop and use their free wifi or swing by the office and use their free wifi. I can easily do without the internet, plus I have some access on my cell phone. Thanks I think I've just decided.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I wanted to get rid of the cable but my wife said if I did she would move back to NYC to live with our daughter. So I'm stuck with it.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched TV in over 10 years, except for occasionally I see Letterman when I'm staying at a hotel.

I do not miss it.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Roku, though I haven't yet set it up. My main interest in it was to subscribe to thegymbox.com channel, but I'm growing attached to the idea of ditching DirecTV entirely. I live with my folks to help care for my father who suffers from a form of dementia. If I can get something similar to the Military Channel for him on the Roku--and he can use the remote without trouble--I just may do it.