Fat Makes You Fat/Fatter

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting, thanks for posting! :drinker:

(Especially interesting for me because I am *always* over on fat, which isn't a problem right now because I'm not eating a surplus, but it's good to know for the future)
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    its kinda the same way that carbs make you fat
    and protein makes you fat
    and fruit make you fat
    and anything in excess will make you fat
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    and fruit make you fat

Right, but
    Excess dietary fat leads to greater fat accumulation than does excess dietary carbohydrate,

So yes, a surplus will cause weight gain regardless, but fat results in gaining more fat than carbs.
  • tobilinjo
    Options
    and the difference was greatest early in the overfeeding period.

Yeah, what would happen, if they had the ability to better adapt to this "new" macro?

How long had this study been going?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    and fruit make you fat

Right, but
    Excess dietary fat leads to greater fat accumulation than does excess dietary carbohydrate,

So yes, a surplus will cause weight gain regardless, but fat results in gaining more fat than carbs.
    Carbs are protein sparing resulting in a better ratio of lean mass to fat accumulation.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Yeah, what would happen, if they had the ability to better adapt to this "new" macro?

Then they would adapt better. What is your question?

6 weeks.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    interesting and @Mokey41 I would say excess anything in macros is going to have a negative effect on the person.

I don't necessarily agree, people have their macros set in varying ways and get the same/similar results so I think there is room for a little extra without negative effects. People who have "excess" protein seem to thrive here :flowerforyou:
  • tobilinjo
    Options

6 weeks.

I guess, longer study time would show different results.

Especially when they would use different fat sources. lard sucks :-)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

6 weeks.

I guess, longer study time would show different results.

Especially when they would use different fat sources. lard sucks :-)

Why? What do you base your conjecture on? Look at the graph. At 6 weeks you have a differentiated starting point - a leaner rat but higher BF% on the keto - what makes you think things are going to go differently from that point?

Not challenging, I'm interested in your development of the idea.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the data. Honestly, it's really useful for me right now, so big extra thank yous!

Obviously, I'm not in sync with the test subject because even though I am "bulking", I do not eat a significant amount over maintenance. If there is an impact in gaining less fat while adding mass then right now is exactly the time for me to test it on myself. I have been reading a lot on nutrition and thinking that my fats were more important than carbs. I've been eating around 50+ grams of fat most days, which is .4 or my total body mass (yes, I'm small). Probably should cut it back a few grams and see if I get better results. I will note that my bf% has gone down since I started eating this way, but it coincided with a change to the 5/3/1 lifting program and upping overall calories, particularly protein, so we will see.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats are necessary for your body to work properly.
  • BadAzzBea
    Options
    Bump to read later ..
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Fat suits make you fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    bump to review latter..
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Thnak you, will read and post later -- at a glance, yes there is some contradiction.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I can't access the full study. What type of fat were they feeding the rats. If it is the one I am thinking of they were using an unnatural food source. This could get into a pretty long thread filled with all kinds of study links debating either side of the argument though.

I would also like to know this.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Can we get a retard's version of this? I'm didn't understand any of the graphics. :ohwell:
  • tobilinjo
    Options
    @Wendy

What's your specific question? In my opinion, a high fat diet is an useful tool to shred weight when beeing overweight.

For heavy lifting, especially bodybuilding, the power of the right carbs should be used.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    @Wendy

What's your specific question? In my opinion, a high fat diet is an useful tool to shred weight when beeing overweight.

For heavy lifting, especially bodybuilding, the power of the right carbs should be used.

Why would a high fat diet be any more effective than any other diet holding cals and protein constant?