What's the single most effective change you've made?

Options

Replies

• Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have a few most effective things. I know it said one, but I feel like breaking the rules today :bigsmile:

1.) Protein - I NEVER knew protein would be the one thing that kept me going. I don't crave fast food or horrible crap. I stay full longer, and it keeps me happy. I HAVE to have some good source of protein with every meal, or I get cranky.

2.) Planning my food out a day in advance. I barter with myself all day if there's stuff I want, so the food in my day is subject to change, but knowing exactly the parameters of what my day is going to look like helps keep me within range. If I don't have the calories for something, it means I have to exercise (no slacking off), so I can have it.

3.) State of mind. I don't know when it happened, but something within me switched off. I weigh myself often, but the numbers don't affect me. I just want to see the rhythm of my body and what it does throughout the day. All I care about is my health. I'm not putting unnecessary pressure on myself. I'm not beating myself up if I have a cheat day and then spend the rest of the week working off what I ate in one day. This is life. I don't mind taking a detour.
  • triciareeves1
    triciareeves1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Cutting out processed foods and grains. I feel great!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I sold my car and bought a bicycle. If I want to go someplace, I can either wait for a bus, pay for a cab or jump on my bike (cheapest and fastest transport method). An added bonus to this strategy is that I am not only getting more fit and lean, I'm also able to pay down my student loans much faster than I ever imagined.

The 2nd most effective change was to eat more protein. I was vegetarian at one point and felt terrible. I feel much better now eating lean meats.
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Either:
    - planning all of my food at least a day in advance, so that I actually stick with it
    - taking breakfast to work and eating it at 10 instead of 7 - this has totally stopped my cravings and I don't need to snack anymore

I'm not sure which has been better, but the two in conjunction have totally changed my diet!
  • mickatoad
    Options
    Bringing fruit to work so I'm not (or at the very least less) tempted to eat junk food.
  • traceyfunk
    Options
    Meditation. Makes everything easier - will power not required.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Reducing my simple carb and sugar intake, and weekly meal preparation.
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Not getting out of breathe after walking and working out. I have asthma and no attacks in two years.......Thinking of it as a lifestyle change and not a DIET.........Also being able to keep up with my 7 grandaughters, and having fun.......
  • MissyINGa
    MissyINGa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love reading all the tips! As for me, it's definitely logging my food. Makes me think twice about eating it when I realize how many calories are in it.
  • jcc4
    jcc4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For me it seems to be a tie between: 1) logging EVERYTHING that I eat and holding myself accountable for putting it into my mouth and 2) realizing that if I chew gum while I am preparing my children's lunch for the next day that I don't mindlessly snack on food that I shouldn't be eating.
  • FabulouslyFitTam
    FabulouslyFitTam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    WATER!!!

I am a sweet tea addict and I love soda. I'm also a fan of martinis! So, getting in 80+ oz. of water a day instead of the sugary stuff has definitely helped.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Acknowledging the difference between mental hunger (just wantinng to eat because food is there) and physical hunger.....I struggle with this every single day but knowing that it exists has helped me make better decisions.
  • seaweedeater1
    seaweedeater1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    HOW did you break the sugar habit?
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    cuting back on fried foods. I eat them every now and then but telling yourself you WILL not eat them for a certain set time works! ( i did not fried foods February) But I'm going to continue it as long as I can!
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating digestive biscuits with my morning coffee.:smile:
    I eat 5 almonds instead.
  • bdreilly84
    Options
    Stopped drinking soda within the last week. Granted I only drank diet, but my cravings for sugars have gone down so much it is crazy. Not to mention the amount of water I consume has dramatically increased.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Enjoying the gym! At some point I crossed the line between just going to the gym and actually 'loving' the gym. Now I'm addicted.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Broke the bread habit. Bread was my go-to for everything -- toast for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, toast for snack, baguette with dinner. Now it's a rare treat.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Counting my calories.
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think tracking everything I eat, made me more aware of how much I ate & also the calorie count of food out there. So many foods I thought was healthy turned out to be a diet killer. Also planning out what I am going to eat - esp if I am going out.