How many pound did you lose before you noticed?

Options

Replies

• AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have lost 9lbs. To look at me, you can't really tell. I can tell though. My clothes are definitely bigger on me. At Christmas, I could not zip up my Columbia boots. My calves were too big. Today I took the garbage out and decided to try them on. They zipped up with room to spare. So it's the little things. I think I have to lose about 20lbs for other people to notice.
  • hiryze
    hiryze Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It took about 20 pounds to notice any change in myself and almost 40 pounds until everyone else noticed. I also didn't have to go down in clothing until I lost 30 pounds and since I've lost the last 10 I have gone down two sizes- weird.
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Only at ~35 pounds lost did I start to notice it in pictures and how certain parts of my body felt. In the mirror, it still looks the same to me (despite fitting into smaller clothing).
  • RoboGal12
    RoboGal12 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I went from 205 to 185 a few years ago, I didn't see a change, but I did feel it with my clothes. I got lots of compliments from people on the weightloss, but I. Just. Couldn't. See. It.

Last year, when I went from 185 to 163, same thing. Could not see a difference, but clothes of course felt better. I ended up going back up to 185 (am currently 180, with 150-155 being my goal), and while I obviously saw the difference on the scale, I didn't think I *looked* that different. It wasn't until I compared front/side bra & underwear photos that I took at 163, and then new ones at 185 that I could see the difference.

It's amazing how twisted I see things from what they actually are, both in good and bad ways.
  • lilncbrat
    lilncbrat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have lost 32 and I still don't see it. I went from 217 at my highest to 184 right now and I don't feel any different. My stomach is still huge. I did lose 2 cup sizes and maybe 1 pant size but thats it. It is so frustrating.
    :explode:

Tell me about it. I have lost 4" of my chest. I didn't have a whole lot there anyway!
  • lilncbrat
    lilncbrat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am confused as dont know pounds, we work in kgs here( Australia).I have recently lost 3kg , in 2 weeks and have not really noticed it yet.I am almost the same weight now as I was when I stopped going to the gym last july so happy with that.There must be somewhere on this site to convert to kg but I havent found it!

It's easy to determine. One kg is the equivalent of 2.20462 pounds. So you have lost about 6.61386 pounds. We round it off so in USA you have lost 6.6 pounds in 2 weeks. That's quite impressive.
  • buckslayer85
    buckslayer85 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    5pounds
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    Its funny bc I know at least 3 different people who lost substantial weight (30+ , even 50+) and said they didnt feel any different and didnt see much change. Whats interesting is they could not have been more wrong I could tell and so could everyone else around them and the changes were in fact MAJOR and theyall looked great!

My theory is this: I think when some of us are heavier than we want to be, we avoid mirrors and dont REALLY look at ourselves. And are in a little bit of denial. Once we lose weight we become more body conscious and critical of ourselves.

My cousin M recently got divorced and towards the end of her marriage had really put on the lbs. Had gone from a thick and toned 150 to about 210. Everyone noticed as the weight came on fast. A mutual friend C in the mean timewas going through the same pre divorce weight gain and was basically the same size/build/weight as M.

Funny thing is both M & C kept commenting ont he others weight gain not realizing they were both about the same. It wasnt until later, after they dboth lost the weight, and saw pics of themselves at their heavy weight did it really hit them how much heavier they both used to be. M said she had no idea she had ever been that big and was shocked to compare the photos and realize she arguably was larger than C when she thought it was the other way around. A little but of body dysmorphia
  • calell83
    calell83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70 pounds and I still can't tell if I am just looking in the mirror. The only indication that I notice is that belts are too big and I need smaller clothes, but by sight I still can't.
  • Heather4nne
    Heather4nne Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I don't see it yet, both one of my bosses noticed today, and I'm definitely feeling it! It's tough, especially when you're used to seeing the same person in the mirror every day, to notice positive changes if you've been stuck in negative mode. Hang in there; you're doing great!
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It is usually 15-20 lbs for me.
  • amadilla
    amadilla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Take pictures!
    I am only down 8lbs and I don't feel it in my clothes or see it in the mirror...but today when I compared pictures I started to see it! Got me more motivated

progress22_zps0d094cfd.jpg
  • needsalife3
    needsalife3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Look for the little things. At 10 lbs down I looked down and my watch was on the inside of my wrist so I started fastening it one hold tighter. Weird that my wrist would lose weight first. At 15 lbs my bra had big wrinkles. Today at 16 lbs I put on a belt that I regularly fastened in the middle hole and I had it cinched to the last hole. Looking in the mirror I don't think I would see a 100 lb loss because I have some sort of blindness when it comes to looking at myself. But if I pay attention to other things I think I'll see it. No ones noticed anything yet but I do have 100 lbs to goal.
  • lxymthw
    lxymthw Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My husband started noticing at about 10-15, I didn't notice until around 20-25
  • travelerrr
    Options
    I noticed around 20 pounds - dropped a size, looked smaller, collarbones more prominent, etc. I'm now at 32 pounds down, and, aside from one earlier comment, other people just started commenting yesterday.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I lost 26 pounds (from 210 to 183) and still I don't get reactions like `Wow, you lost weight!`

I asked my family if it shows and they said it kinds shows, if they look closely. It's my case too. I know that I have lost from here and there, that I am smaller in `volume` and weight too... but I can't say it shows.

But it might be that people don't say it because they try to be polite.

I am sure that is the case. People are afraid of saying "have you lost weight?" for many reasons. Maybe it sounds like "hey! You used to be fat!" or "hey, I don't pay attention. Are you sick?" I am sure that going from 210 -183 shows, and I am sure you look AMAZING!!!! <3. I would take their silence or modest comments as a fear of crossing the line. In the US, we don't say things about people's weight for fear of offending. That was a culture shock for me when I moved in with my husband and his parents (Taiwanese). You lose weight, they say something, and they usually conclude the sentence with "Because you used to be fatter" hahaha
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    ^^My inlaws. Not my husband! He is sweet haha
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Its funny bc I know at least 3 different people who lost substantial weight (30+ , even 50+) and said they didnt feel any different and didnt see much change. Whats interesting is they could not have been more wrong I could tell and so could everyone else around them and the changes were in fact MAJOR and theyall looked great!

My theory is this: I think when some of us are heavier than we want to be, we avoid mirrors and dont REALLY look at ourselves. And are in a little bit of denial. Once we lose weight we become more body conscious and critical of ourselves.

My cousin M recently got divorced and towards the end of her marriage had really put on the lbs. Had gone from a thick and toned 150 to about 210. Everyone noticed as the weight came on fast. A mutual friend C in the mean timewas going through the same pre divorce weight gain and was basically the same size/build/weight as M.

Funny thing is both M & C kept commenting ont he others weight gain not realizing they were both about the same. It wasnt until later, after they dboth lost the weight, and saw pics of themselves at their heavy weight did it really hit them how much heavier they both used to be. M said she had no idea she had ever been that big and was shocked to compare the photos and realize she arguably was larger than C when she thought it was the other way around. A little but of body dysmorphia

^^^^^This, I think.
    Somehow, I managed to slide up at least 25 pounds, without getting "pushed out" of my clothes til the very end. I think it was a combination of (a) not really looking at myself in the mirror, (b) having gravitated to clothes that had a fair amount of range. It seems like everything has stretch in it these days, for example. I think the old-school rigid jeans would deliver that message much sooner!! So it makes sense to me that it would work the other direction too.

I've only lost 2 pounds on the scale, but I started working out and tracking about 3 weeks before that, and so I am juuuust starting to feel little changes, but they aren't visible.
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    Well I lost 30 lbs before I noticed it in my clothes (my pants kept falling off). People around me noticed after 10lbs.
    I honestly didn't see it until 40 lbs.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I had/have a lot to lose....most people did not notice until I lost 40 - 50 pounds then they constantly noticed. As far as myself, it took a little longer, I think our mind takes a while to catch up with how our body actually looks. I don't think we can be completely trusted to see ourselves as others see us. As for 10 pounds, I still can't tell a 10 pound difference. May I suggest using measurements instead of weight, it may help you out a bit. Keep going, you got this!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!