I hate this crap...

Options
I'm trying so hard to get on a 2000 calorie diet and its really pissing me off. I can only come up with about 1500 calories before I end up at my sodium max. After trying to find ways to get it down and failing, i said screw it and forget about sodium. Now i'm struggling trying to keep my sugar levels down. My sugars mostly come from fruit, vegetables, and milk which pretty much puts me at the limit MFP sets.

Counting all this crap will drive you crazy and its by far the most frustrating part of losing weight. I can deal with the hard exercises and not eating what I want, I cant deal with micro managing all these damn numbers!!!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    So quit micro managing. I've never paid any attention to any of those numbers and 2 years later I'm still alive and maintaining.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Unless you have specific medical issues (as defined by a doctor) that require low sodium, don't even track it.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    oh sweet jesus
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about sugar, but try to keep a handle on sodium. Sugar is really unnecessary to track unless there's a specific reason, especially if its all natural sugars.

edit: this is just what I do , other people may have different opinions, and that's okay!
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    So quit micro managing. I've never paid any attention to any of those numbers and 2 years later I'm still alive and maintaining.

I agree. I never pay any attention to the macros and have kept the weight off for 10 months.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    dont count fruit sugar. eat less processed food and cook everything from scratch for sodium
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Unless you have specific medical issues (as defined by a doctor) that require low sodium, don't even track it.
    You can "turn off" certain settings.
  • tammyclinch
    tammyclinch Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    2500 is ok for sodium if you have no problems ..but done freak out if you go over...unprocessed food have less sodium and add more fruit and vegs
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    This site is just a guide.. sodium only makes you retain water unless you have an underlying medical issue it's not a huge issue to go over.

Fat/sugar from fruits and veggies isn't the problem, its added sugar that is the problem. You can't differenciate between the two on here.

If you eat *healthy* *whole* foods you'll have no problems staying within good ranges for all those.

I worry more about getting the calories where I want them.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Play on words - hehehe (micro managing - managing your micronutrients & being so nit picky lol)

But that.
    If your sugar is coming from fruit, veggies, milk, ie REAL food and not chocolate & jolly ranchers (both of which are in my diary lol), it's not a problem

I track sodium simply because I'm curious but relax, it's not a huge deal
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Turn off those settings unless you have a specific reason to monitor them. I have a problem with sugar....of course I'm trying to bring it down, but I don't let sodium and sugar monitor my day. If I'm eating good and I go over, I'm ok with it unless I'm having a specific problem.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You're focused too much on other nutrients. Get your calories first. Then, just pick one or two things that are really important to you and manage them. Everything else will fall into place.

Coincidentally, sugar really has no consequence on weight loss (for those that can produce insulin normally) so personally I don't even bother with that one.
  • maryannville
    maryannville Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    To lower sodium, eat less soup, more fresh veggies, less restaurants, less deli meat, less cheese. More chicken breasts, vegetables, protein powder, unsweetened almond milk . Check out my food diary. I try to stay under 2000 sodiums... but yeah, they tell me don't look at sodium unless you have issues with it... but I still think it makes me hold more water, but holding water doesn't matter really. If you eat more sodium just drink more water... it is as simple as that in my opinion. For me, sugar makes me gain... lowering my sugar has helped... even fruit has sugar. yes its better than a candy bar, but still sugar. try to eat fruit in the morning so you have all day to burn it off... never at night!
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to sodium and cholesterol only because my family has an extended history of heart disease. And I don't like the water retention a lot of salt give. But I don't even pay attention to sugars.

As far as the bumping up to 2000 calories...is everything you are eating low calorie things? If so I would bring in some regular foods. Like instead of skim get whole milk, cook with olive oils and such. Bring in more calorie dense foods...etc...
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I watch my sodium too-less processed foods helps keep it under control.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I've never once tracked my sugar or sodium - I'm sure I'm crazy over. I'm okay with it.

I know micromanaging will drive me insane, so for now I only track fat/carbs/protein and I also track fibre but only because I love pooping.
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I don't really believe natural sugar, within reason, or sodium, without a medical issue, is a big deal. However, if it really bothers you, the easiest way to manage your sodium is to never buy food where the amount of sodium exceeds the amount of calories. Since your caloric goal is under your sodium goal, you'll never have to think about this again.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I ignore sodium, which is a good thing because one of my staples is canned soup loaded with piles of stir-fried veggies. My blood pressure is so low that it's near the minimum for donating blood, and I'm 60. If you don't have any problems that are made worse by too much sodium, maybe you can relax on that.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You can "turn off" certain settings.

I highly recommend editing the "Nutrients Tracked" so that you can watch the items that are the most important for you. (Do this under "My Home" > "Settings.") This will change what appears at the bottom of your diary on the website.

For myself, I swapped out sugar and sodium for calcium and iron. I've got low blood pressure, but a family history of osteoporosis and a personal history of anemia, so calcium and iron are important for me to watch.