Success stories by upping calories PLEAS

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What is this "clean eating" people are talking about?

A bad joke.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    What is this "clean eating" people are talking about?

A bad joke.

I'm still confused. I wash my foods before I eat them. :-/
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I never plateaued, but I started here at 1200 calories (plus exercise calories), realized within a few weeks that wasn't appropriate, upped it to 1350 (plus exercise calories) and then 1500 (plus exercise calories) when I got closer to my goal. Overall, an average of 1600-2200+ total calories while losing.

I've been maintaining for over a year and a half now, and I eat between 2000-2300 total calories.

fb-cover.jpg

Just wanted to point out the ravens suck!! I'm a Steelers fan :(

Steelers!
  • NINAjustdoit
    NINAjustdoit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I broke a plateau by simply upping my calories! It seemed counter intuitive at first, but I feel so much better. This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. I'm a believer in TDEE-20%
  • Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bumping this. I decided earlier today to try upping my calories too because I am at a stand still. I am very curious to read others imput
  • willieswenson
    Options
    Absolutely, tried to cut wayyyyy to quick a year ago and completely stalled for a month. Upping calories can work, but something else that works is upping your fats. Most people cut calories on a linear progression, which makes sense, less mass requires less maintenance calories. Most people cut out fats first because they are most calorie dense but this can be VERRY counter productive. Fats help the body absorb Vitamins A, D, E, K and helps regulate HORMONE function, which is key while changing body composition. Eating too little fats can cause a lack of Vitamin D, which causes MORE hunger (less leptin released) and turns your body onto fat storage by increasing the release of parathyroid hormone and calcitrol. That would be my recommendation, try increasing your fats, and slightly increase your caloric intake. It worked for me, I cut out too many fats and stopped losing, added them back...more eggs and peanut butter and a few less carbs and when right back into full on shred mode.
  • JennyJStewart
    JennyJStewart Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    TDEE-20% has been the way to go for me. It gives me enough calories to feel well, have energy, be a good mom, but still lose weight. I also am careful to keep my carbs down - nothing drastic, mostly eliminate bread and I avoid sugar. I may not lose fast, but I know I am changing my lifestyle and losing for the long term. This is sustainable.

In regards to "clean eating"...Good quality food is worth every penny and since i am eating less, I use the savings to eat better. What I have taught my kids is that just like it would be silly to eat an organic apple once a week with everything else junkfood and expect the apple to improve your health, it is silly to freak over a piece of cake or treat once a week because you think it will ruin your health.

Be balanced.
    Enjoy life.
    Live well.
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MirjaH79
    Options
    TDEE-20% has been the way to go for me. It gives me enough calories to feel well, have energy, be a good mom, but still lose weight. I also am careful to keep my carbs down - nothing drastic, mostly eliminate bread and I avoid sugar. I may not lose fast, but I know I am changing my lifestyle and losing for the long term. This is sustainable.

In regards to "clean eating"...Good quality food is worth every penny and since i am eating less, I use the savings to eat better.

I totally agree!

My principle is to mainly eat foods that actually look like the original plant, animal part or seed. That is, choosing whole grain bread, whole grain müsli, and meat, veggies and fruit that are non-processed or as little processed as possible. That includes making my own marinades if I use any, and preparing my meals not from scratch but eg. with frozen veggies and ready-to-cook chicken breasts with no factory added topping or sauce.

Oh, and I've cut down using sweeteners and sugar but I love the occasional cake, ice cream or pastry, with no guilt! :bigsmile:
  • GinJon
    GinJon Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • asizesix
    asizesix Posts: 134
    Options
    bump! :)
  • fitnwhole
    Options
    bump
  • Tootce01
    Tootce01 Posts: 184
    Options
    Bump
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    That is an excellent question. I'm quite curious about that as well. Everybody says "eat more, starvation mode, bla bla bla". Has anybody actually reached a plateau and then lost some more weight by increasing calories?

I was eating 1200 and under calories and lost 22 lbs. Then I got stuck ... the scale would go up a few ounces, down a few ounces, up a pound, etc.

Checked my BMR and TDEE and upped my calories to 1600-1900 and I've lost two pounds. It's nice to see the scale move again!
  • SarahAquino84
    SarahAquino84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I bumped my calories up every single time and it helped me. See these two posts for details.

Success Story:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/824418-secrets-to-successfully-losing-100-pounds

Pictures:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/839527-100-lbs-later-before-and-after-pics
  • Biffa92
    Biffa92 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started off on MFP eating 1200kcals plus eating back exercise calories, I lost weight, consistently, but after about 6 weeks, I panicked about where I would go from 1200 to keep on losing weight.

I then read Dan's in place of a road map, started eating TDEE -20% so averaging 1750 calories a day, I haven't looked back, I lose on average 1lb a week. I don't lose every week, sometimes I stay the same for a fortnight, and then lose 2 or 3 pounds in quick succession, slowly but surely the weight is coming off.

I don't eat clean, or watch my macros (not even sure what they are?) but I have always cooked from scratch, rarely eat processed meals, love baking (and eating the results).

I am looking forward one day to posting my own success story when I reach my goal weight.
  • m00njelly
    Options
    Don't be afraid! I hit a plateau that wouldn't budge for nearly 6 months. I recently did my TDEE minus 20% through Scooby's Calorie Calculator, ate at 1800 for 3 weeks combined with kickboxing once or twice a week, and guess what? I lost 11 lbs.

I will always calculate my calories on his website because it killed my nasty plateau I had been struggling with for months. I almost gave up. I will also note that I didn't weigh myself for the 3 weeks. I don't believe in weighing myself every day like I used to -- it would just drive me nuts. Plus, when I was lifting and jogging, my body was changing but my weight wasn't. Don't be afraid to up your calories and take a break from the scale. Just remember to exercise and be dedicated to logging what you eat. The scale WILL budge.

Also, don't forget to adjust your calories for whenever you lose 5 lbs or more!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!