How many calories do you burn in the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I burn right under 100 in 10 minutes doing pretty high intensity cardio. I weigh 148.

Edit: Looking back at my exercise, it looks like I've been hitting right at 560 in an hour if I do only cardio.
  • VonTinka
    VonTinka Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yeh it's pretty spooky...the machine says my heart rate is 180 too it matches my hrm perfectly too hmm i also suffer from palpitations from time to time. I do have asthma and tend to struggle with breathing through my nose ect...but my asthma isn't really that bad in the gym.
  • RatherBeFishing
    RatherBeFishing Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have avg'ed a 175 heart for a 50 min workout pushing it really hard the was 973 calories burned if I would have done an hour it would have been around 1179 (just under 20 calories a minute). I am 35 years old my so called max heart rate is 185. Working out up near your maximum heart rate doesn't hurt you at all unless you have health issues, it just makes you burn out quicker. Max heart estimate is 220-age if you want to have an idea what it should be. From the research I have done you can burn up to a max of 20 calories a minute if you are working out really hard 95-99% of max heart rate.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/SM00109 Calories burned at hour
  • zoedicko
    zoedicko Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i usually burn 600 calories. i do 15 minutes on the cross trainer level 7, 10 mins on the rowing machine, 15 minutes on the bike level 8 and then 12 minutes on the treadmill incline2.5 and speed 3.9 for 12 minutes, then run on treadmill incline2.0 and speed 5.2 for 6 minutes. then i will do weights for 15 minutes
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    between 300-500. Yesterday I burned about 500 running 3.5 miles and lifting weights for 20+ mins. I was in the gym for over an hour
  • GodzillaR35
    GodzillaR35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    40 minutes Eliptical,i weigh 240lb,heart rate always over 150 i lose 550 calories consistently
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Increased body weight makes you burn more calories than a smaller person - I don't know your weight, but I see a large goal on your ticker, so maybe this is part of it. Plus, even if you sat around for that hour, you would have burned calories. The HRM tracks all caloreis burned for the hour. So, the exercise wasn't all of the calories, some were just normal bodily fnction calories.

Example: for me, I wore my HRM for three days and averaged the number of daily calories to see my actual tdee - it averages a little over 2100 a day (which equals 88 per hour). So when my HRM says I burned 430 calories during a workout I subract the 88 to get my exercise caloreis (342).

have you tried the wear it for three days to get your average?
  • winfieldv
    Options
    50 minute on treadmill, walking/jogging / sprinting (500) on average then weights total to about 600 when I go on a serious day otherwise it's 35min for a 5k on the treadmill and half hour weights (400)