Fast Food - Call Out!

Options
Question: for those who like to eat fast food (or it is simply more convenient for many of the on-the-go dieters), what are some good healthy meals/substitutes from many of our popular fast food chains? I'm looking for ways to eat healthier, and although I am willing to give up fast food, I am curious about some of the healthier alternatives at many of the fast food chains I used to eat at.

Here's a list of the chains, and you tell me what you would order from there as a healthier substitute to the usual:

McDonald's
Carl's Jr
Burger King
In-N-Out
Wendy's
Fred's Burgers
Weinerschnitzel
Roberto's
Alberto's

There're more out there, and share them with me. What would you normally order from there and what do you order as a substitute now? What are healthier choices from these? What other fast food chains am I missing? Tell me about them and what you would suggest. I'm open to all options. :)

Replies

• kitty_764
    Options
    Nothing. Bring something from home.

Edited to add - if you want to eat healthy, it's best to scratch those places off of your list, except for a rare occasion as a treat.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    There is no way I am going into any of these fast food restaurants and getting a salad. I would rather not eat at all.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    McDonald's - Quarter pounder w/ cheese and nuggets.

In-N-Out - Double double w/ animal style fries.

Those are the only places I somewhat occasionally eat at. It's not a common occurrence so I usually either fit it into my day or I accept that I'm over for the day. I'm not going to get a salad at McDonald's. Although, at In N Out, if you wanted to, you can get your burger "protein style", which loses the bun.
  • randaswilson
    Options
    I would research some healthier restuarants in your area. there are some in every place but they go unnoticed
  • jomo1113
    jomo1113 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    McDonald's - Egg McMuffin
    Carl's Jr - (Hardee's down here in Alabama) - Turkey burger has made it's way to the menu
    Burger King - probably avoid this one like the plague
    In-N-Out
    Wendy's - Ultimate Chicken Grill sandwich and a small chili
    Fred's Burgers
    Weinerschnitzel
    Roberto's
    Alberto's
  • cwick56
    cwick56 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Cup of water
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The last 2 times I've had fast food its been subway.

I could really go for a cheeseburger and fries but tonight it pizza night. I will take it!
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Do you not have a Subway close by? That's the only "fast food" I will eat.
  • LisaGod85
    LisaGod85 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Going to a fast food joint for a salad is like going to a hooker for a hug....

Try to keep fast food an occasional treat only
  • joolson45
    joolson45 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds: get a happy meal...or grilled chix sandwhich... skip the fries if possible..

My favorite fast food on the go is KFC..grilled chicken breast (remove skin) side of coleslaw...
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only like McDonalds and Wendy's, but I try to avoid these places as much as I can lately. If I do go, I get a jr sized burger instead of a full sizde. If I just have to have fries, I order the kid's meals.

I also like how Wendy's will let you get the baked potato, chili or salad instead of fries with your meal.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    If I am getting any kind of take out food now, I get sushi.
    If I ever do find myself in McDonalds, I get a snack wrap. That way if it's dinner time I sit and think "Ok, a snack wrap or an awesome plate of goodness?" and I choose the latter.
    To be honest, these things should be considered a treat and therefore get what you like, this is just how I do it for the time being. If I really wanted a Big Mac, I'd get one. But to be honest, eating at these places makes me feel like **** and makes me break out all over my face. The food is just plain bad for you!
  • poundis
    poundis Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    McDonald's : I usually have chicken nuggets or the southwest salad with grilled chicken.
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When I am out and nowhere near home (i.e., been gone from my house since 6am and its 5 pm); I have a couple favorites. At McDonald's I'll get the grilled chicken Caesar salad with balsamic vinaigrette and no croutons with a yogurt parfait. Filling and under 500 cals. At Wendy's I get a plain baked potato and small chili. Burger King doesn't really have anything healthy (IMO). Another thing I discovered is WaWa's (PA) or 7-11's. They usually sell Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, and cheese sticks to tide you over until you can get home.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I like Burger King's grilled chicken blt salad it is big and filling but lots of sodium, also I don't use their dressing I use light zesty italian it is only 6 calories
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Oh, why order a 'healthier' substitute? Why not just order less then and/or eat less then you normally would? If you're going to eat fast food you may as well enjoy it. :P
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    I get a grilled chicken salad with light dressing from McDonald's, Burgerking, or Wendy's. I will also get the oatmeal from McDonald's or a grilled snackwrap on occasion. If I'm in a splurge mood, I'll get a small chicken nugget meal.
  • lizlucas1
    lizlucas1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For those who recommended Subway: I did some research on Subway, and the information I received about their healthy foods (although much better compared to many fast food chains) isn't that great. I still am partial to Subway over any of these fast food chains, but I am curious about for those who are more disciplined at this than I am (no excuses here), what are some healthier alternatives (if any) from these restaurants? It's more of a research poll than anything else. Not to mention, for those rare (EXTREMELY RARE) days where I crave a burger, what would you suggest? (I haven't eaten any burger in over a year -- I usually substitute chicken sandwiches over a burger any day).
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Going to a fast food joint for a salad is like going to a hooker for a hug....

^^ My husband just said this to me yesterday!!! :laugh:
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wendy's-
    Potato and a small chili. Put the chili on the potato. Yum.