Fast Food - Call Out!

Options

Replies

• chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    1) I do not order french fries. Ever.
    2) I only eat half of the bun if I get a burger - or no bun at all.

McDonald's - depending on what I'm eating the remainder of the day, I order a 4 or 6 piece McNugget OR I will get a quarter pounder with cheese ordered with one slice of cheese, no mustard, no pickle (because I don't like them) - I will eat only 1/2 the bun or no bun at all. I broke it all down in my foods so that I can log it easy - comes out to around 252 cals or something like that.

Wendy's - same thing on the nuggets or the McDouble plain and no bun. I tend not to eat salads anywhere fast food - I have a reaction to whatever they put on them or what they are washed in.

Most restaurants have "meal builders" on their websites. I always calculate what I'm going to order before I get there.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Also, you can order a smaller burger (regular burger, double burger, happy meal etc.) and replace the fries with Apple Slices - a lot of them have this now. Unsweet Tea (add your own sweetener if needed), Diet Soda or milk for the drink. Goodtimes burgers are also supposed to be a better 100% real beef burger as well.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    *bump*

I have no specific, tried-and-true suggestions, but poking about the Culver's website the other day I noticed they have several soup and sandwich combos under their "Mindful Choices" category; I plan on pairing their Tomato Basil Ravioletti with a grilled chicken sandwich (probably sans bun) when next Husband gets a Culver's craving.

http://www.culvers.com/menu-and-nutrition/mindful-choices/
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When I go to those places (which I am weaning myself away from), I try to forgo the fries, unless I am really craving them.

You did not list Chik-Fila, which has great Chicken Wraps made without any dressings (they give them to you on the side), plus their website has all the nutrition information on all their items.

When I go there, I order the Chicken Caesar Wrap and a Yogurt Parfait - very filling and good!
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    On that list I only got o McDonalds once in awhile and I get the Cheeseburger Happy Meal.
  • TiffersStr1
    TiffersStr1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Subway is my fast food joint of choice. I usually stick with the turkey breast/oven roasted chicken..with no cheese or dressing on 6 in multigrain wheat. Onions,peppers,lettuce/spinach, tomatoes and cucumbers. Or I get one of their salad bowls with turkey or oven roasted chicken and the same veggies. And if you're out, I'd use one of their low fat dressings. I usually bring it home and use my own fatfree dressing or balsamic vinegarette dressing. Sodium is high on these but not so much if that's your fast food for the day.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're in the vicinity of a Jimmy John's: Order an Unwich (lettuce wrap), hold the mayo. :)
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Any time I go to a fast food place, which isn't too often, I skip out on combo meals. I just get the sandwich I want and a bottle of water. I never miss the fries or the extras you can add on.
  • ericafaye6988
    ericafaye6988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If I eat fast food I stick with Chipotle or Panera Bread. Although, we all have those days where we just can't say no.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken, apple slices, water, diet drinks, or go find Subway.
  • ericafaye6988
    ericafaye6988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh and Chick-fil-a has good chicken wraps. Leave off the dressing though.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Going to a fast food joint for a salad is like going to a hooker for a hug....

Try to keep fast food an occasional treat only

Love this. lol
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Bring something from home.

If you want to eat healthy, it's best to scratch those places off of your list, except for a rare occasion as a treat.

Gonna hafta agree with this one. Cutting FF out of 99% of my diet is probably one of the top three reasons I was able to lose my weight so easily.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    coffee and tea.
    My teenage sons are having McD this evening after late night at work (mine) and sports practice (theirs). I collect it on the way home and enjoy a coffee whilst waiting! :drinker:
  • jsrussell2127
    jsrussell2127 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my life calls for "fast food" - literally, so I have the problem of finding things that fit into my calorie count. I have found that even at fast food restaurants, you can stay within your limits by portion control. Half a burger. Half of a small order of fries. Grilled instead of fried, etc.

When at McDonald's, ask for a tray liner. Everything on their menu is listed on the back with the nutritional info. Also, go online to the restaurants' websites and look at their nutritional info before going.

Chili's (not really fast food, but call-in can be fast) has a "lighter choice" meal which is a 6oz sirloin with steamed broccoli for 250cal. You can't beat that. And, it'll fill me up. :)
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Obviously a lot of us know about fast food options :laugh: we aren't fat for nothing!!!
  • katmumn
    katmumn Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to do fast food, I prefer Culvers (I do like their soup) and Jimmy Johns (add dijon hold the mayo). Chipotle, Noodles & Company and Subway are the only other options close to work that I would consider. Near home, I have better options for healthier eating.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    McDonald's -- egg mcmuffin (if not breakfast, cheeseburger Happy Meal)
    Burger King -- it's been so long I don't remember what they have - Whopper Jr, I guess. No fries. I remember not liking their fries
    Wendy's -- chili

Of your list these are the only three I've ever eaten at (I had never heard of most of those places). I don't eat at these places, but if I had to eat there, this is what I'd probably order.

ETA: if you have Pita Pit near you, that's the way to go. The hummus or baba ganoush wrap packed with veggies in right around 300 calories and full of good stuff.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    There's a book (and website I think), called "Eat this, Not That". It was kind of catered to men and advertised in Men's Health and such as men tend to eat out more often--lunches, etc. Works for women too but I gave mine to my boyfriend who is not inclined to look up calories. It has lots of chain restaurants in there and gives you the better choice with more volume and less calories then you might otherwise order. It is made for people that don't want to count calories but still make a better choice. Since assuming you are on here, you are already counting calories so be empowered and look them up and choose accordingly what fits in your day. I've been shocked before at looking up calories after the fact to realize that a turkey burger or grilled chicken or something that I thought was the better choice had more calories than a cheeseburger.

I would most likely choose a grilled chicken sandwich no sauce. Or I read once that a plain hamburger with chili or a side salad is the best choice at most fast food places. I think choosing something where you can get more food for the calories is better than say eating just half the whopper because then maybe you would still be hungry. I can't resist french fries so I try not to go unless I can fit the splurge into my day.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I had to look up Weinerschnitzel. So you're telling me you have a fast food hot dog place out west? GOD. DAMN.

That's one of the places I actually miss. I haven't been to Weinerschnitzel in 20 something years.