Ladies with hysterectomies

Options
2»

Replies

• teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yes, I still get bloating and food cravings, acne, painful breasts, etc. I also get twinging pain in my ovaries (I have/had endometriosis). My doctor told me the only thing that would change after my hysterectomy was the pain would be gone and I wouldn't see red. I had endo, adenomyosis, and fibroids. Best decision I ever made, although I think it may be affecting my weight loss...
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    When my wife was 34, she had a radical hysterectormy and kep the ovaries. IT didnt effect her weight, but the ovary would constantly become inflamed and had to have it removed a few months ago. Weight gain shouldnt be an issue. Just diet/nutrition/exercise.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that there was such a thing as a hysterectomy when keeping the ovaries. I thought all the internal "plumbing" was moved. My wife is thinking about it (we already have three kids and I've been snipped), but I'm guessing she'll want the ovaries gone, as she's looking to get rid of all the PMS symptoms.

Removing her ovaries will get rid of all the PMS symptoms, but she'll be facing a whole different set of symptoms because her hormones will be affected.

I had a hysterectomy, but kept both ovaries. I've never had any PMS symptoms and I'm going on 5 years post surgery now.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Weight gain shouldnt be an issue. Just diet/nutrition/exercise.

False. Weight gain CAN be an issue, depending on what types of hormone replacement therapy you're put on. Contrary to what some believe, medication can cause weight gain. I'm not saying you can't do anything about it, but it is a real issue for some people.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Weight gain shouldnt be an issue. Just diet/nutrition/exercise.

False. Weight gain CAN be an issue, depending on what types of hormone replacement therapy you're put on. Contrary to what some believe, medication can cause weight gain. I'm not saying you can't do anything about it, but it is a real issue for some people.

note: I said "shouldnt" not "will".
  • rladd6421
    Options
    i had a hysterectomy when i was 32 but i got to keep my ovaries. I never noticed any "PMS" symptoms and still don't but that could be because i only had one about 3x a year anyway. I love the decision i made and wouldn't change it for anything.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    note: I said "shouldnt" not "will".

I got that. But gaining weight after hysterectomies is very common and often does present an issue. Just because you can diet, eat well, and exercise to lose the weight doesn't make it a "non issue". I may have misunderstood what your point was, though, so I apologize if we're really just saying the same thing.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    abdominal hysterectomy in 2004, left one ovary in...and once i had recoved from the surgery, i gotta say - best i'd felt in years and years!! rarely do i get any pms type symtoms anymore, although i do credit the occasional crying jag to that...best move ever, although I am having a really hard time w/workouts involving lower abdominals, not a clue if its actually due to the surgery or that's just my weakest muscle...probably the latter...
  • jez4ever
    jez4ever Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    What about the sex life after? My wife is thinking about having it done. However, we don't want to mess that up! Honest answers, PLEASE.
  • teachmom32
    Options
    No change in sex life. If anything, it's better because there is no more pain.
  • MBNagel74
    MBNagel74 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    No change in sex life. If anything, it's better because there is no more pain.

^ This
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    If you still have ovaries then you are still ovulating, meaning hormonal fluctuations will be no different than those of a woman with her uterus intact. (The ovary is still the major source of estrogen and progesterone and they are still being produced in a cyclic manner). This will continue until you run out of oocytes to ovulate (menopause).

ETA I haven't had one, I'm a reproductive biologist.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    What about the sex life after? My wife is thinking about having it done. However, we don't want to mess that up! Honest answers, PLEASE.

honest - after recovery - sex better!! (and no more - not this week honey ;o)
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy and removal of one ovary December 5. I can still feel the hormonal fluctuations, including bloating and weight gain. The difference is that without menstruating, I can't keep up with exactly when it will happen. I used to track my cycle on an app on my phone. Once my period started, I could predict when the next round would occur. Because my cycle was never perfect, I had to wait until one started to predict for the next month. Now I don't have that marker, but I can pretty well tell what is happening when it hits.

It is great not to have the cramps and mess. Definitely the right choice for me. Unpredictability of pms is a minor complaint for me.
  • teachmom32
    Options
    Yep, this week would have been period week. I can tell because my breasts are lumpy and hurt so bad! Hopped on the scale this morning for my weekly weigh in and only dropped .2 pounds. Stupid hormones and bloating! Oh well, hopefully next week will make up for it.
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I had my hysterectomy when I was 28 (16 years ago) and they left my ovaries. Yes, I had symptoms early on, but now I don't have any problems at all. I did gain weight...which is why I am here! :bigsmile:
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

honest - after recovery - sex better!! (and no more - not this week honey ;o)

Sex is DEFINITELY much better!!!