Is obesity 'normal' where you live, or 'abnormal'?

Options

Replies

• himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Here in sunny Florida there are plenty of overweight and obese people. However, there are also a lot of hot bods. Tring to be one of the hot people.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I'm in LA, so it depends on where I go. In the poorer communities it is very common. In West LA/Beverly Hills/Beach communities, not so much.

When I visit my family in Ohio though, I feel like the thinnest person in the world.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I come from the least obese city in Canada: Richmond BC!!
    http://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-suburb-the-least-obese-city-in-canada-1.659588
    I'm from Richmond too. Richmond also has the highest immigrant population in Canada and the highest number of Asians in North America. In China less than 5% of the population is obese so this makes sense.

I am in New Brunswick right now and there are more overweight people than there were in BC, but 20-40 lbs overweight, not necessarily obese.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I live in Nova Scotia and obesity is very normal here. I noticed it a lot since I grew up in Ontario where it wasn't as common
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Normal. At 5' 11" 195lbs (more or less) I'm usually the "skinny" one in the room.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    in downtown columbus you see a lot of corporate types, OSU students and bikers that tend to be fit. in the suburbs or at the malls overweight is much more common for some reason. it's interesting the demographics you see downtown vs. suburbia.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    totally abnormal. I live in a town where everyone is running with their dog, jogging, etc. The town is completely tailored for bike riders. super active community, I like it!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Normal here in Wisconsin, but a little less so in the cities (Madison and Milwaukee), I'd say. It's the land of cheese and custard and beer! :drinker:

I went to Denver two years ago and felt morbidly obese compared to them. Good job, Colorado!

Oh, I would say Milwaukee is quite obese, especially in the poorer areas.
    I live in the city itself and you can't go to a Walmart, etc. without seeing several large people on scooters.
    My husband works as a paramedic for the fire department and a majority of the people he sees on runs are obese.
    It's sad.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Very normal here in TN
  • Bubsys_mom
    Bubsys_mom Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, being overweight is very common where I live. What's sad is the amount of children and young people who are overweight.

My husband and I are both overweight. I hope we can change that so our son doesn't end up taking after us and our habits. :(

Guess that is what happens when you live in the South around some of the worst foods for you. :/
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I live in the midwest, near Detroit, so it's very normal. I fully believe that lower income levels and obesity have a strong correlation.

Yep
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm from the uk (south Wales) and its really uncommon I've only ever seen one person that is so big they need. Wheelchair and that was shocking! On the other hand living with not many obese people means u have a clear understanding of what healthy weight is! Although it could be because I avoid any fast food places?!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    NYC. Lots of thin people here. On top of that, I sometimes interact with young people in the fashion industry. Even at my lowish normal weight I sometimes feel if not overweight, "large."
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Obesity is NOT normal in Colorado. It was ranked as the first (or at least one of the first) in healthy-weight people. There is so many activities to do both summer and winter. Of course, we are known for skiing in the winter, but also hiking the "fourteeners" * in the summer.

NOTE: The "fourteeners" refers to the 53 mountain peaks in CO that are 14,000 feet or more.

Just makes me stand out more and feel bad about myself.

Ditto.. I'm not really that overweight either.. and I feel like i stand out.

that being said.. I don't think people are overly thin here either.. I live in the middle of 3 military bases though.. so that probably weighs into that as well. Most of the soldiers that I am surrounded by look healthy and strong..
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It's definitely normal here. We were voted the fattest city in America a couple of years ago by Men's Health.

It's not suprising to me. We have a street festival that is second in size to Mardi Gras and you can get virtually anything you want deep fried.

Sounds almost like Houston. That is where I am from.
  • akilahleemarie
    akilahleemarie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I live 2 hours north of seattle, wa and lets just say a healthy slender person stands out in the crowd. There are far more healthy men than women...but yeah...a thin woman sticks out around here...talking about age group 21-60...
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Abnormal .. this is Orange County, Southern California
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Normal.. people tell me I'm too skinny LOLOLOL I have just reached a "normal" weight. hahahahaha!
  • alisonsurf
    alisonsurf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I live outside Cleveland, Ohio in an inner ring suburb with a very mixed demographic. Obesity seems highly correlated with income level in elementary school, but I was astounded when I volunteered at the high school and saw how many girls are overweight! When I went there 25 years ago there were a few huge girls and a couple that could stand to lose a few, but the majority of us were normal to thin (we didn't have busing and no one got a ride back then!). There is still no busing, but the thin girls were the exception, not the rule. Boys did not seem to have such a disparity, however. I saw ~50% of the freshman class in 6 classes of ~30 students so I think that was a large enough sample size to make a fairly accurate assessment. I think it is telling that when you see the kids coming out of school at the end of the day, it is not the fat kids walking home.
  • prexiouslb
    prexiouslb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i live in Houston, Tx. one of the fattest cities..

obesity is normal for both adults and children... i think pets too.

LOL U SAID PETS TOO..haha