Is obesity 'normal' where you live, or 'abnormal'?

Options

Replies

• ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I live in chicago and I wouldn't say its normal here but there are a lot of overweight people here. There's is a family in my highrise thats severely overweight. I've helped the mom up the 4 steps in front of the building and son is always in front smoking a cigarette leaning on the railing annoying the non smokers. Most of my friends have some weight they could lose and some of us are on our journey while others don't care enough.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's at about 30%
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Most people here aren't obese, but there are certainly a plurality of overweight people here.
  • Here I wouldn't say a lot of people are obese but a lot are overweight.
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    I'm in Western Australia and I'd say that it's about 30% here. But I have noticed recently that there are quite a few overweight kids..... I'm talking kids as young as 4. It's sad to see parents putting the kids health at risk and setting them up for a lifetime of bad choices and unhealthy habits :frown:
  • Poetic_Photography
    Options
    Obesity is pretty common where I live...
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Poorer areas tend to have more unhealthy food available as I've noticed and health food breaks the wallet anyways. But in wealthy areas lots of health stuff is available.. Where I used to live, 90% of people were super obese...I was poor...do you know how hard it was to be poor and a vegetarian!? Only 1 or 2 things available to eat.... in my current area (wealthy) everyone is pencil thin and if you're fat, you stand out we have 3 GNC stores in one area!!...America does not care about health, or else health food would be cheaper :(
  • RetroRob
    Options
    I live in London and obesity is normal, we are the 10th fattest country in the world
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Very common where I live...but the town I live in is pretty poor. I"m in the southwest part of VA
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eigl45hfh/1-minneapolis-minn/

Minneapolis/St. Paul was ranked #1 healthiest city in 2012..... so I am definitely the odd woman out. Minnesota is a VERY outdoorsy state in general.
  • marywanoKC
    Options
    I think that there's an even mix here. In my office ('burbs tending towards a more affluent demographic, but bordering the middle income neighborhoods) many of the patients that we see are overweight, but then you also have the "trophy wives" who balance it out. They might not be the most "fit", but they're definitely skinny (anti-depressants, lots of stress, etc). It really depends on the area of the city. When I'm around my house (midtown, very bohemian, walk everywhere if you can, hippie stores, smoke shops, diners and coffee shops) there's a lot "slimmer" body type. Not to say that you don't see any overweight people, but it's less likely.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    it's normal. sad, but normal. people see me and say omg you're soooo skinny.
    mmmm, no. you're just really fat.
    was that too mean?
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I had to check the stats myself and I am actually pretty shocked that 70% of america is either overweight or obese.

As for me and where I live, overweight its not quite as accepted as the norm. Where I am FROM on the other hand, being overweight and obese is the majority and way of life. No attention to health or fitness, no health food stores, no place to run or cycle outdoors. Its sad. :frown:

I also checked the reports, and Portland OR (close to me) ranks 7th healthiest in the country. Thats good to know!
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I live in Southern Oregon and while you would think that with all the organic food and outdoor activities that are available that obesity would be the least of the public health issues around here. Unfortunately, it is also a relatively "less affluent" area and overweight/obese people are common. That said, when I see the heavy children, it takes me aback :-(

Interestingly (or maybe not,) when I moved to this area several years ago, I collapsed into a major black hole of a depression and my weight issues soon followed. I don't have any statistics available that drive a correlation between mental health issues and weight gain. Anecdotally, however, it seems there are quite a few people that I have met that moved into the area, suffered some sort of mental episode (i.e. depression) and then had to deal with significant weight gains.

There's a postcard available at the local convenience stores which shows a local woman on the beach: She must weigh at least 300 lbs. It's funny and sad all the same time :-/
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Abnormal. I live in South Florida, and everyone is beautiful. Its a great thing and keeps me motivated for sure!
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I actually live in the least obese state in the Nation. Obesity is not nearly as common here as it was in Texas. Here an obese person or child would stand out
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It is definately normal in Alabama. From kids to adults the south seems to be the fattest part of the USA...not really something to be proud of...
  • wntrbreez
    wntrbreez Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Obesity is the norm here in Kentucky. I'm not a small guy (yet) but I'm probably average or smaller than the typical 40 year old guy around here.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I live in Hastings, Sussex, England.

It's a town in which many are poor and live on carbage.

Many, many obese including kids.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Where I live, in Bermuda, I would have to say that obesity is the norm. Stats suggest that obesity is at 67%.