Alcohol

Options

Replies

• momedge
    Options
    I just added a glass of red wine to my calories for the day./
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    Wine, Qream (the strawberry flavor taste like Quick...dangerous), and mixed drinks (margaritas, cosmos, tinis, etc)
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason I've always found that drinking, even in moderation and within limit, always hinders my weight loss. If I drink once a week I find the rate at which I lose slows dramatically. I can still lose while drinking, but cutting it out altogether makes it sooo much easier!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I didn't know alcohol was completely taboo in a healthy lifestyle. Daily drinks are probably not so good, since it is basically empty calories, but a little here and there shouldn't hurt. Multiple servings a day carry some health risks. I've never been much of a drinker, but I maybe have a glass or two of wine each a month. Some months I don't have any at all because I just don't think about it that much. :drinker:
  • annus123
    Options
    IIFYM...that is all I can say.

IIFYM is the mindset that each sort of macronutrient is the same for body composition (ie slow released carb is the same as sugar). Do note the fact that I said body composition, if you aren't getting in correct micronutrients you are still unhealthy. IIFYM also doesn't follow the philosophy of replacing your macros, hence the 'if it fits', it does not mean you can replace all your carbs with alcohol, or all your protein with alcohol, as you are losing the macronutrients needed for body composition.

Having a few drinks on a weekend isn't going to do anything noticeable, but if you really think that drinking decent amounts of alcohol and just making it 'fit your calories', you are going to have a disgusting body composition. You may also want to read up on the effects that alcohol has when consumed, and what it actually does to carbs and fat.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • kelbax22
    kelbax22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For me..if I drink I do not lose weight. It stalls my body for about 3-4 days. So I decided to not drink for the first 2 or 3 months of losing weight. I am 7 weeks in, 11 lbs down, and I haven't drank. Once I am halfway to goal, I will drink like 3-4 drinks 1 night every other weekend. Everyone is different..I gain a few lbs after drinking so I choose to skip it for now! :)
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    2 beers and 2 glasses of wine tonight...seriously, I'm not giving up everything!
  • whitneyas
    whitneyas Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well, I am not the most successful MPF person... but oops, I just drank a whole bottle of white wine. I am still within my calories if I use my exercise ones. I have found when I don't drink or eat sugar (except in a few pieces of fruit) I lose the most weight, but you can drink moderately and still have success.
  • bensherman1
    bensherman1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I still have the occasional beer or three or six, and I've still been losing, though I will say that trips to the gym replacing sitting at the bar some nights has probably had a positive effect :). I think the overarching theme of this thread is that as long as its done in moderation, its not a big deal.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I didn't know alcohol was completely taboo in a healthy lifestyle.
    To be clear - I wasn't making a value judgement or moralisng on what other people do.
    And I apologise if anyone felt that I was moralising.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I don't drink for personal reasons, but never had a problem losing weight when I did drink. I concur with everyone who says you can't deprive yourself of things that give you pleasure if you are going to make a lifelong change.
  • SNOWolfx3
    Options
    My boyfriend saved me a little liquor for when I get off work ^_^ Shh.
  • Sassystac76
    Sassystac76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is.... Thank you ALL!!!!

I kinda really like my glass of wine with dinner and maybe the occasional martini!! So I appreciate the honesty here! As I still want to feel I have a life, with socializing, unwinding and just relaxing with a glass occasionally (as I am having one now) :happy:

I've just joined this site and am looking to shed a few bundles of pounds as i gain a few positives of health and better living! You all just made it easier with a smile :wink:

Stacey
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I just have to be careful when I get the drunk munchies. I'll get drunk, want to eat something greasy and bad for me, then the next day I'll get hungover and need to eat bad again to recover. So that cycle definitely sets me back but if I just drink and eat smart then I can still have fun. :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Like most things (chocloate, fast food etc) sensible moderation is the key - I drink alcohol once or twice a week, maybe 2 or 3 half strength spirtis with diet coke - does not add many calories - 35 per drink to be exact - so is easy to fit into calorie count for the day without doing anything silly.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I love my beer. I figure as long as I don't deprive myself of food to "horde" calories for beer, and as long as I count everything I drink, I've got nothing to worry about.

This ^^^^ Eating or drinking just about anything in moderation will not prevent you from losing. So please feel free to enjoy the occassional glass of your favorite adult beverage, I'm on the last of my 2 for the night now. Cheers :drinker:
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    heck yes i do :-)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    over past few months I have lost three percent body fat and I have been drinking...

I had a two vodkas and a beer tonight...but I do not drink during the week....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I just have to be careful when I get the drunk munchies. I'll get drunk, want to eat something greasy and bad for me, then the next day I'll get hungover and need to eat bad again to recover. So that cycle definitely sets me back but if I just drink and eat smart then I can still have fun. :)

mmmm late night waffle house runs...
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I brew my own beer and I have 9 taps in my basement.

I drink. A lot. And I don't think it's hindered me.