Build Muscle while calorie deficit?

Options

Replies

• smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what the difference is between building muscle and toning?

When most people say they want to "tone," what they essentially mean is that they want to maintain muscle mass while decreasing their body fat %. This is usually accomplished most efficiently by lifting heavy and eating slightly below maintenance calories.

Building muscle can only be done by eating at a calorie surplus and lifting heavy for a long period of time. This is usually done once someone reaches their ideal body fat %.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I have to say, as a newbie to this site, this thread has left me entirely confused. So, I have lost 50 pounds in about 12 months with another 30 to go...My workout routine does not include heavy lifting, but does include lower and upper body strength and resistance training every other day using lighter weights. I have seen a significant change in my muscle tone (especially upper body) and personal strength. As I still have 30 pounds to go, am I understanding that I should not move to heavy lifting until I am no longer working in a calorie deficit to drop these 30?

Yes, but it is attributed to the fact that you are at a caloric deficit, not because your rep range is 15+. You will lose fat but will sacrafice some muscle as well. Lifting heavier helps to prevent the loss of strength and size from a caloric deficit., Total prevention is basically unavoidable though.
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what the difference is between building muscle and toning?

Toning is a marketing term for "Those with low bodyfat" = a defined look or showing seperation between muscle groups etc. In other words it just means you are lean or have low body fat.

Building muscle is simple adding more lean mass to your body, done through eating at a caloric surplus coupled with resistance training.

You beat me to it :)
  • melt2svelte
    Options

When most people say they want to "tone," what they essentially mean is that they want to maintain muscle mass while decreasing their body fat %. This is usually accomplished most efficiently by lifting heavy and eating slightly below maintenance calories.

Building muscle can only be done by eating at a calorie surplus and lifting heavy for a long period of time. This is usually done once someone reaches their ideal body fat %.

So if I am doing cardio and strength training as my exercise regimen, I cannot build muscle or tone?

I just find it confusing based on my own results so far, as I am eating on a deficit, I have lost weight, but my thighs have not decreased in size. In fact, they have increased in size, they are firmer, and the muscle seems to be more visible as well. My jeans are getting tighter in the thighs, but looser in the waist. Is there an explanation for this?
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    Bump.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

So if I am doing cardio and strength training as my exercise regimen, I cannot build muscle or tone?

I just find it confusing based on my own results so far, as I am eating on a deficit, I have lost weight, but my thighs have not decreased in size. In fact, they have increased in size, they are firmer, and the muscle seems to be more visible as well. My jeans are getting tighter in the thighs, but looser in the waist. Is there an explanation for this?
    Newbie gains. If you're new to lifting you ca. Still build muscle while eating at a decifit for about the first six months or so.
  • Motria
    Motria Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had a question about this business of "calorie-deficit-to-lose-fat" versus "calorie-surplus-to-gain-muscle". How fast can our bodies shift from one mode to the other? What if I decide to eat more and lift weights Mon-Wed-Fri and then reduce calories and do some cardio on Tues-Thurs? Will I lose fat part of the week and grow muscle on other days?

Hrmm.. now that the experts are online, can someone take a crack at my question above? Is this the formula to build muscle *and* burn off fat, or am I just drunk on my post-workout merlot? :drinker:
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    I had a question about this business of "calorie-deficit-to-lose-fat" versus "calorie-surplus-to-gain-muscle". How fast can our bodies shift from one mode to the other? What if I decide to eat more and lift weights Mon-Wed-Fri and then reduce calories and do some cardio on Tues-Thurs? Will I lose fat part of the week and grow muscle on other days?

Hrmm.. now that the experts are online, can someone take a crack at my question above? Is this the formula to build muscle *and* burn off fat, or am I just drunk on my post-workout merlot? :drinker:

Its more so an overall net effect. You would be basically spinning your wheels and maintaining.

Example: If my maintenance is 2000 calories and i eat 500 (1500 calories) below today and 500 (2500 calories) above that tomorrow its a net of 2000.
  • melt2svelte
    Options

Newbie gains. If you're new to lifting you ca. Still build muscle while eating at a decifit for about the first six months or so.

Ah! Interesting. Is there a site you or others would recommend in regards to it? I would love to learn more.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Ah! Interesting. Is there a site you or others would recommend in regards to it? I would love to learn more.

http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My edited post is below...................:smile:
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Eat a slight calorie deficit. However, load up on the protein. The general rule of thumb is 1 gram/protein per 1 lbs of body weight (if you weight 150 lbs, eat 150 grams of protein).

Wow, that's about 3x the protein I eat on a typical day. Serious carb-hound here. Thanks for the info!

I've heard it as 1 gram per pound of lean body mass, so that's what I do. So for me, 130 lbs, 25% body fat, I aim for 97 grams.

It is a lot, I have trouble reaching it.

That's what I do too. I think protein intake or requirement differs from person to person as well as according to age.
    Here is a link I found interesting.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbprotein.htm
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    I would also reccomend a few youtube channels:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OmarIsuf - Omar Isuf
    http://www.youtube.com/user/strengthcamp - Elliot Hulse
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Team3DMJ - Eric Helms specifically is highly educated
  • melt2svelte
    Options
    Thanks everyone! (OP, I'm sure this is helpful to you as well!) :)
  • Motria
    Motria Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Its more so an overall net effect. You would be basically spinning your wheels and maintaining.

Example: If my maintenance is 2000 calories and i eat 500 (1500 calories) below today and 500 (2500 calories) above that tomorrow its a net of 2000.

Thanks! This made sense once I thought about it a little more. :huh:

Thanks also to others who posted about appropriate protein intake. In looking at my food diary this month, there is never a day that I reached 90 grams and just a few where I broke 60. If I want to put on some of this "newbie" muscle mass that folks are talking about, I need to take in more P!
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Muscle requires protein to build. Not calories. If you do not get enough protein your body will eat away at muscle as well as fat and you will heal slower and get less out of strength training. If you have trouble getting it in your regular diet try a protein powder. A scoop in the morning and a scoop at night before bed or right after a work out. Personally I eat a lot of tuna. I hike 4 days a week and strength train 3 days a week. I add protein powder after a work out and the next morning to add to the healing and gain.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Yup muscle gain comes from your nervous system here and is mainly your muscles telling your brain to build more of me to help me for the next time I am put under tension.

Google search muscle building in deficit, and newbie gains, body re composition, modern encyclopedia of bodybuilding, there are literally tons of articals
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Muscle requires protein to build. Not calories. If you do not get enough protein your body will eat away at muscle as well as fat and you will heal slower and get less out of strength training. If you have trouble getting it in your regular diet try a protein powder. A scoop in the morning and a scoop at night before bed or right after a work out. Personally I eat a lot of tuna. I hike 4 days a week and strength train 3 days a week. I add protein powder after a work out and the next morning to add to the healing and gain.

Just like eating fat doesn't make you fat, eating and overeating protein won't grow muscle. Calories are energy, and although certain micronutrients effect the body more, they are all still converted to energy - a calorie. Personally I would rather go with carbs over protein for muscle growth
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

This is my issue too. My legs get enormous. Right now I'm only doing a couple exercises for legs, mostly just squats and lunges and a couple things with an exercise ball. I'm not doing any weight on them. When I got back to work out a month ago my legs were smaller then. It wasn't until this week when I got on this new plan I changed up what I was doing to be far less legs. except for cardio
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I'm in the process of upping my protein intake. I'm vegan (nohatekthanx)so that cuts a lot out, but to be fair, before that I didn't eat much protein from meat, the main source of my protein was dairy, which I can never go back to eating even if I wanted to because I discovered I'm allergic. I do have protein powder so I'm trying to use it daily, it has 15g per serving. I should be out soon so I'll need a new one so I'll get one that's higher, I'll probably get vega or sun warrior. I was having a protein smoothies for breakfast but I think I'll just move that to a snack and eat breakfast instead and that should bump up protein and calories a bit. The rest of my meals I try and balance to get the most bang out of my meal in nutrients, protein-heavy wise I include lots of beans and whole grains and veggies since veggies add up. If I'm eating a salad I add in beans like soy beans or nuts or chia seeds..ect.