who else isn't too worried about 'the rules'?

Options

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    This should be renamed as the 'common sense approach to diet'..... So many people put them selves under so much pressure....well done to you.

Thanks, means a lot x
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I am a rule follower. To not follow the rules...BLASPHEMY!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Rules for losing weight: eat at a deficit
    Rules for health: meet or exceed your nutritional requirements and exercise

What else is there?
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I think the only rule is to make sure you eat enough!

All these people on 1000 or less a day :(
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i make my own rules. and what im doing is working! i have lost 37 lbs since january 1st. i eat! i made exercise fun when i was not working the first month. me and a friend went to different classes at our gym. we set ourselves little goals and had fun walking on the treadmills and other equipment. i see a victory as being something i change from what i previously did. i am being more active because i want to. im not going to stress out and do insanity and heavy intense workouts. i eat what i want and use this as a guide. guide meaning, i plan better. i still eat my chocolate! pizza! junk food! i just dont eat the whole pizza. im not going to diet the rest of my life. so im going to learn how to eat better. i have had binge moments. i have gone places and had cake and appetizers. that is part of life. i have my calories set at 1600 and go over. im not going to beat myself up cause im not in the 1200 calorie club. or the clean eating club. i also have to shop on a budget. so i do include processed foods. i dont follow any rules. and i have deleted friends who constantly obsess over the stupid things. im not going to use scales and heart monitors. im not going to be 60 plus and weighing my food and tracking my calories im burning with things strapped to me. i can go on forever about this! and i love the ones who use health problems as an excuse. i have diabetes, high blood pressure, and pcos. YES you can lose weight with those problems. and correct them just by getting off your butt. but many people dont want to just move. they think about quick fixes and pills. again. are you going to take pills to maintain when your 60? done ranting!
  • nannybubbles
    Options
    Hi and well done... couldn't agree more... sorry to be lazy but I have had to paste from my profile that i wrote yesterday as I have to go out.... but as I am new here, I would like to be added as a friend !!!

Since age 11 (loooooong time!) I have gained, lost, gained, lost ad nauseum then last April / May time, not exactly sure when, my car broke down and I realised I was well and truly stuffed. In almost every sense of the word. I didn't know how I could get home. Although it was only half a mile ??, (tho all uphill) I had reached a point where I just couldn't do it. Luckily I managed to flag down a neighbour who gave me a lift.

I sat in my house, at the top of the hill and realised I had two choices. Either walk down to the shop and back up that pig of a hill (even my fit, adult sons say it is a killer!) or starve! So I did it. Then something just clicked and I started walking... a bit like Forrest Gump and that's how I started to get my life back. I truly feel I have escaped.

I have now lost just over 100lbs and I have, quite literally, made it up as I go along with no other help except my dear old body telling me what it needs. Hungry? Eat. Thirsty? Drink. Tired? Sleep. Energetic? Walk. No pills, no potions, clubs or anyone barking at me to go faster, higher, stronger. And it has cost me nothing in monetary terms but given me so much because I truly cherish being alive now. The first thing I ask myself every morning is: Fatter or thinner? If the answer is thinner, which it always is, I pull on a trackie and trainers and just go.

The fundamentals aren't rocket science.
  • nookeetoone
    Options
    I have started incorporating treats and food that I like that I know aren't that healthy in my diet.... But limited. I am also not scared of going over 1200 anymore. I put my deficit to about 1300, and if I eat over, I do not panic as it's a friggin -deficit-.. It's not like I'll gain back everything or anything at all from a little over eating due to me already eating so little in the first place. I do not mind "maintaining" for a little while in the name of yummy stuff :D I am in no rush. I already like my body even if im kinda overweight. to me, it doesn't matter if I lose everything in 3 months or in a year. I know it comes off eventually because I've made a -lifestyle- change. Yes I might eat the things I did before sometimes. But I've made a promise to stay on the healthy side, buy as much organic food as I can, eat good nutrition, give up sodas(for the most part... I probably wouldn't mind them on events and such) and exercise. Exercising really helps.. In just few days I noticed my stamina is increasing, muscles going firmer and Ive been experiencing some interesting dumps in my weight.

But yea, don't sweat the small stuff... And if you binge one day, just make sure the rest of the days are cool :) Somehow I think that the different intake of calories might even be good. But I have no way of knowing.
  • belle19822000
    belle19822000 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot happier now that I've stopped trying to lose weight and instead have focused on making my body more healthy. Weight loss will most likely be a side effect of that--which, I won't lie, will be nice--but it's not the reason I eat the things I eat or exercise.

TRUE. I've gotten to that place a week ago. -I am currently 67kg, dropped down from 70 (on NY's eve) and that is the turning point. I was on that weight last year, but felt big, unfit, weak, older.... Because I was on antibiotics all the time, and those ice creams and pizza's really didn't help :sad:

I had a craving yesterday, ate some sweets ( I haven't touched them in a month!) and that's it. No regrets. I'm cranky, my period has just started, and I don't feel the need to apologize to anyone, not even myself.

I have to admit, my mood is better this morning, probably because of the chocolate I had last night, but I even exercised heavy, which I don't do on my TOM days. I just felt like it.

I really hate the fact that a lot of people here are judgmental, and there are also may who wanna quit (because they are always hungry, etc...) instead they should only be doing what's right for them, and not being on some idiotic STRICT regime that won't do them any good LONG-TERM.

Just take care of yourself!:flowerforyou:
  • I once learned about an 80/20 rule...be on your best 80% of the time and 20% allow for your splurge. Whatever it maybe.

Personally I just found this ap...and so far I dig it. I am not "learning" anything about rules and blah, blah, blah...however...I do find myself making different choices becuase I just don't wanna put something "bad" in my logs. I feel like I have been learning LOTS over the past few years...and it feels that all is starting to click. AND...I am loving the journey so far. It's great to see how my day adds up...makes me think about things.

Today, I was in SO MUCH pain and it was raining sideways here...so I didn't go out for my activities. It was a stressfull day at work...and I had and emotional convience eating...and now I am having my second glass of wine....and I am OK with it all...this is about making a transition, and a transformation for me...not about a crash diet...not about rules.

How can I change how I think and feel about food...if I am CONSTANTLY obessing about it? I do my logs and my excercises (when I can) and allow for the process to shift...it's taken me a LONG time to get here...it's not gonna change overnight.

I think it is beautiful for so many people to be contemplating where they are at with "diet" and excercise. I want to feel good. I want to be happy...sure...that means loosing some weight and getting stronger...it doesn't mean obessing and beating myself up
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    ME!!! i used to obsess and read every little thing and think i had to follow it or i wouldnt lose weight. Now i just eat healthy, burn more calories than i eat and workout/weight train. Thats it. I do log but its for my own benefit so i can track my intake.
    I really dont have time for all the sciences and rules and things and i think you can over analyse it too much. All you'll do is drive yourself crazy and end up with no life.

Move more-Eat less......simple
  • beautiful.
    thank you for the post!
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Me too, I hate rules! . but MFP has helped me learn and do much better. My pals have helped me stop having so many lazy days.
    I no longer complete my dairy , but I do use it to keep tabs for the day.
    If I stop loosing weight or getting fitter, then I may be a goody two shoes again, I like to feel free though!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Btw if any like minded people want to add me, go ahead...
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there were rules. Am I in trouble? :embarassed:
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I stay within calories and try and average a 300 calorie workout each day. That's IT. I don't worry about all the nitty grittys, I don't worry about the 'should's' and I don't really get too worked up if the scales do idiotic things. I feel amazing, fitter, healthier, happier and 9 kg lighter since boxing day.

Who else out there is like me, almost along for the ride, but seeing results? Tbh, if I had to follow the myriad of 'must-do rules'on here, I'd either go mental or give up. Just make it easy on yourself, I say. Good choices, because you want to be healthy.

Anyway, can anyone relate? I'm not havinng a go at those who are way more into the specifics, coz it evidently works for them, but I don't think its necessary for all :)

Pretty much sums it up. What this place did for me is made me aware of how much I was putting away.
    I have learnt so much from various threads and groups on here, and have adopted and adapted stuff that works for me ... I eat more healthily, I exercise, and the lbs and inches are coming off!
    I understand more about what my body needs to function than I did when I started and for those threads, I thank them!

And if my progress looks slow - that's because a great mate on here suggested once that I flip to maintenance over a weekend to have some wiggle room to live life! And it suits me just fine :-))
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 - Stay at or near my calories.

That's it. I've been on maintenance for a couple of years now just following one rule.
  • rafa46
    rafa46 Posts: 18
    Options
    Kind of with you on this one - so far not too worried if I'm a bit over my calorie limit if I've made healthy choices all day. BUT I've only just started MFP and have only lost 1lb in my first week... so I may change my mind later on! Having said that, I do feel happy and positive about the food changes and choices I'm making.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Seeing as a poster on here has just fleeing proclaimed in upper case that I drink ALCOHOL!!!!!!! and suchlike, and that her diet (which isn't recorded on here, coincidentally) is so much cleaner than mine, I think I qualify for this category. I think her argument was that, by not restricting myself to bland, single ingredients, pointing out she wasn't telling the truth about something factual meant I couldn't possibly be as good a person as her.

Whatever. The real world is full of junk and good things alike. A single junk meal isn't a disaster. It doesn't mean you are doomed to failure and your immortal soul is forever cursed. It's the cumulative total of your choices in food and actions that determines your progress.

People at a healthy weight make those choices all the time. Those who are heavier have to learn to do it.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, THANK YOU for creating this topic!!

I was just thinking about this today. People on my FL, on Tumblr or anywhere else where I follow people who are trying to lose weight and be healthier, sometimes just puzzle me with all the details and numbers. Numbers of completed work out routines, how many grams of what, how many calories and when... It's all just too much for me. Let alone the fact that there doesn't even seem to be THE set of rules. Everyone is following a different set and don't get me wrong, it seems to work for a lot of the people I see here and that's great. I'm just not convinced that their success would be that much different if they changed their diet around a little or if they stopped focusing on the numbers all that much.

I haven't been that successful myself yet because I keep falling off the wagon. I thought I'd have to obsess about the details much more which scared me but seeing all you guys here who have lost so much weight without following "the rules" makes me feel like I can actually do it. All I need to do is get better at logging everything and not cheating on myself all the time.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    rules.jpg

Rules were made to be broken. :smokin: