Consistent calf cramps

Options
2»

Replies

• cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I actually went to get fitted for running shoes the other day after I had been doing my c25k training in Vibrams. The running store did the whole nonsense and then basically couldn't suggest a better shoe for me as I'm a neutral runner and have the right form. I was kind of looking for another shoe that had just a little bit more cushion but still a minimalist shoe as shoes with lots of cushion make me roll my ankles. But the problem we encountered was finding pairs that were offered in wide. My vibrams fit my wide foot just fabulous. I know I could work on not landing on my heels which is something that has come to my attention, but I don't think it's the shoes.

I grabbed some Gatorade powder to put in my water for my workouts in hopes that it may be electrolyte imbalance so I do have things on hand to make small adjustments and see what helps. If this continued, I was going to focus on strength training in the meantime.

I still appreciate all of your thoughts and ideas. Bananas go bad so fast here so I may just snag a supplement for the potassium.

Whoa, back up the bus! If you're really doing this in Vibram Five-Fingers, that alone is likely what's causing the problem. Not that I have anything against them, I have a pair myself, but it's a tough transition from normal shoes to the VFFs. Imagine walking on your tip-toes for miles. That's effectively what's happening, even if it does not seem like it, because your calves are likely tight from wearing "normal" shoes. If you're going to go minimalist, you need to take it really slow and probably should consider going minimalist for your other footwear too. Transitioning from heels to a minimal shoe to run in would be enough for you to experience exactly what you're experiencing.

The other option would be to do your c25k in a regular running shoe and SLOWLY transition to a more minimal shoe over time.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I wonder also if it's not just poor shoes? Running shoes are tricky things. If you weren't fitted at a running shoe store, where they check you stride, pronation, arch, etc., this would be worth looking into.

I actually went to get fitted for running shoes the other day after I had been doing my c25k training in Vibrams. The running store did the whole nonsense and then basically couldn't suggest a better shoe for me as I'm a neutral runner and have the right form. I was kind of looking for another shoe that had just a little bit more cushion but still a minimalist shoe as shoes with lots of cushion make me roll my ankles. But the problem we encountered was finding pairs that were offered in wide. My vibrams fit my wide foot just fabulous. I know I could work on not landing on my heels which is something that has come to my attention, but I don't think it's the shoes.

I grabbed some Gatorade powder to put in my water for my workouts in hopes that it may be electrolyte imbalance so I do have things on hand to make small adjustments and see what helps. If this continued, I was going to focus on strength training in the meantime.

I still appreciate all of your thoughts and ideas. Bananas go bad so fast here so I may just snag a supplement for the potassium.

bananas go bad fast everywhere. but thankfully we can unpeel them and then freeze them and they keep for longer that way :wink:

on yeah and if you're wearing minimalist shoes you definitely need to work on landing no further back than the mid foot.

good luck
  • sum1serin
    sum1serin Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Whoa, back up the bus! If you're really doing this in Vibram Five-Fingers, that alone is likely what's causing the problem. Not that I have anything against them, I have a pair myself, but it's a tough transition from normal shoes to the VFFs. Imagine walking on your tip-toes for miles. That's effectively what's happening, even if it does not seem like it, because your calves are likely tight from wearing "normal" shoes. If you're going to go minimalist, you need to take it really slow and probably should consider going minimalist for your other footwear too. Transitioning from heels to a minimal shoe to run in would be enough for you to experience exactly what you're experiencing.

The other option would be to do your c25k in a regular running shoe and SLOWLY transition to a more minimal shoe over time.

I don't wear heels. All my shoes are very flat. Think converse for normal wear, flipflops (if I'm going out of the house), I'm barefoot in and around the house or no heeled mary janes 2 days a week. So I am going really slow. I didn't just decide to suddenly start running in these. I've walked.... and walked and walked. So it's not a pushing too hard too soon kind of thing as I've been using these since December. There's no option of doing a more cushioned shoe right now because there's no shoes for me to try on at the local store and per the other post- I roll my ankles with other "running shoes".
    I had the exact same issue with shoes. I have wide feet & weak ankles and any of the shoes with a bigger heal, lots of cushion, I would constantly roll my ankles. On the other hand I couldn't do the Vibrams or Merrels for barefoot running, they were too hard on my legs & feet. I actually started wearing Reebok Flex and I love them!! just the right amount of cushion & so comfy!!

I'll have to look into those then, because I did want a backup pair because the vibrams I have are getting well worn and the running store here locally really aggrivated me when I went in- basically telling me I was out of luck because they only get so many wides in and they go fast but couldn't tell me when they get shipments in so I can actually be there to simply 'try' them on and order a pair. Did you feel you could order your regular size or did you go half a size up?
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Someone else mentioned it briefly above, but you might look into a foam roller. I had a calf pull that kept nagging at me, but using one of these before & after runs worked miracles:

http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Performance-Revolutionary-Roller/dp/B0040EGNIU

There are other options out there, and some are quite a bit cheaper. :)

If it's both calves and in the same general place, then it could be related to the shoes. From what I gather (and I'm no expert), if you're working on more mid-foot landings rather than heel-striking, calf pain's not uncommon.

Also keep in mind that walking & running are pretty different mechanically. Even if you're wearing flat shoes while walking, transitioning to a slow jog in something like the Vibrams is going to be a major change if you tend to heel-strike when running.

You might want to try running in something with more heel for a bit, and see how the calves feel, then start a few short runs in the Vibrams, easing into them. I've got some friends who made the change, but did it by starting out with no more than 10 minute runs in the Vibrams, running in thicker-heeled shoes the rest of the time until they got used to it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Meh, I wear vibrams all the time and I get the cramps when I wear "real shoes" for speed walking.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

I don't wear heels. All my shoes are very flat. Think converse for normal wear, flipflops (if I'm going out of the house), I'm barefoot in and around the house or no heeled mary janes 2 days a week. So I am going really slow. I didn't just decide to suddenly start running in these. I've walked.... and walked and walked. So it's not a pushing too hard too soon kind of thing as I've been using these since December. There's no option of doing a more cushioned shoe right now because there's no shoes for me to try on at the local store and per the other post- I roll my ankles with other "running shoes".
    I had the exact same issue with shoes. I have wide feet & weak ankles and any of the shoes with a bigger heal, lots of cushion, I would constantly roll my ankles. On the other hand I couldn't do the Vibrams or Merrels for barefoot running, they were too hard on my legs & feet. I actually started wearing Reebok Flex and I love them!! just the right amount of cushion & so comfy!!

I'll have to look into those then, because I did want a backup pair because the vibrams I have are getting well worn and the running store here locally really aggrivated me when I went in- basically telling me I was out of luck because they only get so many wides in and they go fast but couldn't tell me when they get shipments in so I can actually be there to simply 'try' them on and order a pair. Did you feel you could order your regular size or did you go half a size up?

New Balance actually specializes in wide sizes.
  • gilberts3
    Options
    Hi when I started exercise I had cramps during and after exercise I started drinking Gatorade and the cramps stopped
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    tonic water with quinine in it
  • tallvanurse
    tallvanurse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I wonder also if it's not just poor shoes? Running shoes are tricky things. If you weren't fitted at a running shoe store, where they check you stride, pronation, arch, etc., this would be worth looking into.

I agree. A friend was experiencing a lot of calf/shin pain. He went to a store known for checking just these things. He bought new shoes and inserts to correct the rotation of his foot. They also suggested a compression "sleeve" for his calves. The shoe stores warned him that it might take a week or so to notice a difference but he noticed immediately. It certainly can't hurt to be fitted.
  • sum1serin
    sum1serin Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I actually was told about this the other day but had no clue what it is... but now I do. :D How much do you drink and how often?
  • vferrarii
    Options
    Stay hydrated, also I would try getting some potassium in, potassium is an electrolyte that is involved with muscle. Eat a banana or oranges/juice. Other high K foods include avocado, fish, tomatoes, broccoli, dried fruit, etc.
  • ErikCory
    ErikCory Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I sometimes experience this as well and keep a bottle of Canada Dry Diet Tonic Water at my bedside. I sip it as needed.
    It has quinine in it which I dont believe you can purchase in US as independently as it is illegal. My grandmother gave me tonic water on ice when I was growing up in the 1950's to help with growing leg cramps, and it always halped.:smile
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Another condition that can cause muscle cramping is hypothyroidism. You may want to get a blood test to have your thyroid checked if you have not had that done and it continues. Also, claudication is another condition that can cause problems.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I actually was told about this the other day but had no clue what it is... but now I do. :D How much do you drink and how often?

I drink this for restless leg syndrome. it really does work. I hate the taste of tonic water but a couple of good swigs before bed (maybe 1/2 cup) really makes a difference.
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

^^^ This!! My mom gets charlie horse cramps all the time and many nurse friends recommended tonic water because of the quinine! She says it has helped. Give it a try!