What to do with lots of ricotta?

Options

Replies

• ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, Ricotta is not the shortest distance to your destination.

Depending on what brand you get its super lowfat and sodium

The brand i get has 80cals/ 70g serving.

Which is like 1/3-1/2 of a cup and i cant find any other cheese to beat that
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    GNUDI! It's my favorite pasta and easy to make. They're similar to gnocchi (if you've had that) but much more pillowy and decadent. They are also simple to make. 3 parts ricotta to one part all purpose flour with some grated parmesan cheese thrown in. Mix together to form a loose-type dough. Cover and place in fridge for two hours. Then, pull out of fridge and scoop out into small balls (I use a melon baller so they're all the same size) and place on a cookie sheet, then place in fridge again for an hour or so. When ready to eat, boil for about 5 minutes or until they float to the top. Then top with your favorite pasta sauce. You can freeze any you don't want to prepare for the meal...they freeze really well. They are so delicious!
    Bump
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Bump for the gnudi recipe. Sounds terrific.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who realizes this thread was started last year?
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, Ricotta is not the shortest distance to your destination.
    One of the great things about the MFP method is you can fit ANYTHING into your diet and still lose weight. I have buttermilk pancakes (real deal, not some diet version) twice a month. I make spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna, hamburgers (well, husband handles those). Last week I made a chocolate layer cake for my son's birthday (total butter: 30 tablespoons). Had a piece of cake almost every night this past week and still lost 2.5 pounds.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I add about 1/4 cup to my oatmeal in the morning and top with berries. Makes it creamy and yummy.

That sounds so good! I am going to try this tomorrow! I lot ricotta cheese! I like to add a little splenda, cinnimon and spread on toast or just eat by the spoonful! YUMMMMM
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    One of the great things about the MFP method is you can fit ANYTHING into your diet and still lose weight. I have buttermilk pancakes (real deal, not some diet version) twice a month. I make spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna, hamburgers (well, husband handles those). Last week I made a chocolate layer cake for my son's birthday (total butter: 30 tablespoons). Had a piece of cake almost every night this past week and still lost 2.5 pounds.

Yup! I made lasanga last night...homemade! And it was only 440 calories and the serving looked just as big as one from Olive Garden...and so much yummier too! You just have to know how to use ingredients so that they work out in your favor.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    GNUDI! It's my favorite pasta and easy to make. They're similar to gnocchi (if you've had that) but much more pillowy and decadent. They are also simple to make. 3 parts ricotta to one part all purpose flour with some grated parmesan cheese thrown in. Mix together to form a loose-type dough. Cover and place in fridge for two hours. Then, pull out of fridge and scoop out into small balls (I use a melon baller so they're all the same size) and place on a cookie sheet, then place in fridge again for an hour or so. When ready to eat, boil for about 5 minutes or until they float to the top. Then top with your favorite pasta sauce. You can freeze any you don't want to prepare for the meal...they freeze really well. They are so delicious!

Yum!
  • brittryan1017
    Options
    Bump! All of these ideas sound delicious!
  • naveej
    naveej Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump for excellent ideas thanks to everyone who posted their recipie
  • I mix it with some PB2 or chocolate protein powder
  • SusieDerkinsRocks
    SusieDerkinsRocks Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been using it in place of mayo on sandwiches! Still gives a creamy texture and adds moisture but is so much better for me!
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    Thank you for posting the gnudi recipe! I'm going to try it today!
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    Tiramisu! You can make the ladyfingers with almond flour to keep it low carb, ricotta can be used in lieu of mascarpone. I even made a vegan version for some friends a couple weeks ago using tofu and they loved it.

Here's a good recipe - http://satisfyingeats.blogspot.com/2012/01/breakfast-in-my-worldgrain-free-and-sf.html

Wow! Thanks for posting!
  • ijavagypsy
    Options

You are soooo correct! That's one of the reasons I'm here. It's simply a matter of conscious choices so far. I have to learn more about the reset metabolism thing.
  • erinalysa14
    Options
    I have a huge tub of it myself! Ricotta pancakes are great and EASY. I use one cup of fat free ricotta, 4 eggs, 2/3 cup of flour. Made 8 large pancakes. I also sweeten ricotta with cinnamon sugar and vanilla and put it between two slices of French toast for "stuffed French toast" using Arnold's sandwich thins.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This is a WONDERFUL breakfast food. You can mix a little jelly and honey into it and top pancakes or waffles. You can add a 1 tsp of sugar and 1 tsp of Cinnamon to 1/2 cup of ricotta and place it on top of toasted cinnamon raisin bread... YUM! You can even get fancy and mix thawed frozen fruit and honey to fill up Crepes!
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Make a ricotta cheesecake :)
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I was planning lasagna for dinner and I will definitely have some ricotta left over.
  • almostgoodbye99
    almostgoodbye99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious! Thanks!

I think I want to go buy some ricotta cheese now just so I can do this!! Nice.. :)