Recording when you go over cal goals

Options

Replies

• horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I record it all, unless there was alcohol involved and I forget. :) But I try!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I love seeing my overages. It helps me prioritize things like burgers (keep) over coffee creamer (ditch) . FUN! It's not a catastrophe for me when I go over. Better over than under for me because its just a guideline. Here to lose fat not weight.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I record it all.

Some days I under eat and some days I over eat.

I usually tend to just make sure I hit my goal for the week.
  • MissDeAnn
    MissDeAnn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have gone over but not by a lot. I just record it because I want to be honest with myself. Lord wiling their is always tomorrow not to go over you calorie intake.I like tracking what I eat because you need to learn not to go over.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, if I'm having an 'effit' day, I probably don't log everything, though I will often go back to try to remember all I had, but if it's not a completely out of control day, yeah, I log everything.
  • tladkin
    Options
    Be honest with yourself at sometime we all have to be held accountable so start right now the purpose of doing a food journal is to visualize where your areas for improvement are and then make the gradual changes. Great Job to all of the above^^^^^^^ Keep It Up!
  • wholelottarosa
    Options
    Well, usually when I go over it's on a binge. Sometimes it's hard to remember exactly what I ate, so if that happens I'll put in an estimate. I do try to record it though, otherwise I could tell myself how well I'm doing when really I'm not.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I think the best and most important tool that MFP gives us is logging what we are eating. Log every single bite! I was in the hospital for 4 days, but wrote down all I ate so I could fill it in when I got home (my son logged me in so I wouldn't have a "break" in days but I actually did go back and fill it all in). Leaving out anything hurts only one person... yourself! I keep my diary private for a number of reasons, but most importantly because this is MY tool for my own personal use. "Cheating" would be ridiculous!
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It really depends. When I know I've bombed, it's so hard to see those calories add up, but I know that I need to see it in order to believe it. Some days I just start over the next day, but I have really been trying to count everything....sometimes I'm as much as 1500 cals over.
  • Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am 99% honest with what I eat and track. However, I stopped stressing that I get it all 100% as far as values. I also track my cals by what the machine says, because the cals on MFP are always way to high.

the 1% I don't track my morning decaf coffee and cream and coconut oiI. since i follow a low carb lifestyle, the cream & coconut oil isn't a big deal to me like the carbs are. That doesn't mean I am not aware of the missing cals from my tracker. I am just a bit lazy and lower the daily cal goals to make allowance for the missing cream I use daily..I hope this makes some kind of sense...

Keep being honest, it's the best way to get to know yourself :)
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I put the "overage" onto the next day's breakfast. I am starting out with fewer calories to burn for the day, but that way it averages out over 2 days.
    I like that idea! thanks think I'll try it. As for recording I try to do it as honestly as I can. ONe day I had a few glasses of wine and didn't record but won't do that again.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    If I know how much I exactly ate, then I will log it. If I just go crazy, likely I will not know how much of what I ate.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Every frightening bite and I try to write a tickler in the notes of what set off the binge.
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I record it all, except on Christmas Day (I did my best to log, but it was just too difficult to work out as I wasn't the cook)... and when I'm away from home I also struggle to log when the nutritional information isn't provided by the establishment where I eat. But normal daily recording, good AND bad? Absolutely, I log it all.

I went through a phase of trying to keep each day's total right on what I was allowed and adding any surplus to the next day's food, in an attempt to balance it over a week... the problem with that is that once you start doing it, it gets very difficult to ever get back on track again, and you eventually end up going into the next week's allowance too. So I don't do that any more.

I've eaten really, really badly this year. This past week hasn't been as bad as previously, but it still isn't great. But since I've logged all the really bad days/weeks too, I can see the improvement in the past week... and that's helpful to me.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I record it all..the good, bad and the ugly, whenever possible. This tool is for YOU and not recording the calories does not delete them from your body. :flowerforyou:

When I simply can't calculate (dinner at a friend's house, for example), I try to estimate as closely as possible and then put it in my comments.

Admittedly, if I'm under my calories and then have a glass of tea with honey or snitch a chip or something from my hubby, I usually don't go to the trouble of adding it. I guess I should, though. It can add up over time even if I am under my daily goal. I think that is more useful for long-term problem identification.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for almost a year and used to log every bite as well every single day. Lately I've been giving myself cheat days where I don't log at all. Especially if I'm going out to dinner or something and it's harder to know the calorie amounts anyway. Sometimes I just have days where I need breaks from logging but I don't make it a habit. And on days I do log, I log everything even if it turns into a bad day
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do!
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Record it all
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    honesty is key.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I record everything as well. When I have had a bad day I have been surprised that what I have eaten doesn't actually amount to as much overage as I had thought.