How many of you don't eat any wheat?

Options

Replies

• greeneyedKat
    Options
    Everybody has a different opinion on everything! There is a doctor that wrote a book called "the wheat belly" I haven't read it but from what I have heard he says that wheat can be a problem for some people. Something to remember is wheat today isn't what it was years ago......pesticides, chemicals, and now GMO's have changed it. I am limiting it in my diet
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    There are many gluten free people here. If you type "gluten" into the search box you'll find all kinds of conversation about it.

If you cut it out entirely, you'll know within a week if there is a change, but you need to be vigilant about getting it out of your diet. If you only get half of it out you won't see any change, even if you're intolerant. And it does take a commitment, gluten is hidden in all kinds of places you wouldn't expect to find it.

@speedgraphic1, I think gluten free bread is generally awful and don't eat it, but it makes excellent toast!

ps I've been gluten free for two years.
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten-free for 12 years. I was very skeptical ... however, it wasn't a trendy thing 12 years ago. I went gluten-free because I was, out of absolute desperation, trying it for a child. Mysteriously, a bunch of health issues I'd been dealing with for 3 years vanished within three days. Headaches, chronic back pain, mouth ulcers, foggy brain, mood issues, skin tags ... plus other stuff. I also lost 35 pounds within a few months without trying. Obviously I'm on of those for whom it's a good thing. The only reason my weight loss didn't continue was because more unhealthy gluten-free options became available, and I've enjoyed the novelty :-P.
  • kalipta1
    Options
    For weight loss purposes I have just changed all white stuff to brown, but have stopped pasta and bread, because of high calorie content and low nutritious value, and mainly eating whole grains etc,this has made quite a difference, but did suffer a lot of headaches and cravings etc at first, but it gets easier to resit giving in over time. I think it's worth giving it a try, can't do any harm! Good luck
  • puma456
    puma456 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You really should not cut any food group out of your diet unless you have a legitimate intolerance. I have Celiac Disease and I am unable to process gluten. As such I need to be extremely careful of anything I ingest, right down to having separate peanut butter from my husband's in case he got a crumb of his bread in the jar when he put his knife back in the jar to spread the peanut butter. I have to constantly watch that I am getting the proper nutrients and vitamins from my diet. All the food groups are necessary for a balanced healthy diet.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You really should not cut any food group out of your diet unless you have a legitimate intolerance. All the food groups are necessary for a balanced healthy diet.

i actually don't think this is true. Firstly, wheat or gluten doesn't constitute a whole food group, nor is it essential to health. And secondly, a lot of vegetarians and vegans would take strong exception to this.

People eliminate foods from their diet all the time, for many different reasons, with no ill effects.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You guys are so rude.... lol I said I was skeptical. I wanted to see what other people thought or if anyone else did this? Grow up people... if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be on MFP :happy: just saying

I'm not sure who exactly was rude... except for your post above.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Unlike some on here I do not see an issue with wheat or grains for that matter. Unless you have a medical condition where consuming these would cause you harm then there is no reason you can not incorporate them into you daily intake. That is not being a hater just a realist that all foods in moderation are just fine in your day as long as they fit.... Comes down to personal preference.....

*sigh* all food being fine in moderation is simply not true for a large number of people. and yes, obviously, if you're not sensitive to grains you can eat them freely. the question becomes, how do you KNOW you're not sensitive to them?

this argument is already happening in another thread though. This OP was simply asking a question of people who DON'T eat wheat. If you do, then you don't really belong in the thread........ she wasn't asking for your input in the first place.

and if she has no medical condition that would cause her problems eating wheat then there is no reason she can not consume them as part of her daily intake... and where do you get off telling me I have no business in a thread??? I have yet to add anyone to my ignore list but you my friend are getting really close... I have 4 years of trial and error and over 300 lbs. of weightloss and experience to say I have just as much of a right in any thread I see fit to comment in.... That being said OP this all comes down to finding what works best for you, trial and error is the only way you will ever find out how your body will respond but my point is if you have no medical conditions to certain foods then there really is no reason to cut them out of your diet other than not liking them...

go for it dude.

like you said, trial and error. many people don't know they're gluten sensitive until they get off gluten. so what's the harm in giving it a shot? if it helps, great. if it doesn't, great, then start eating it again.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options

i actually don't think this is true. Firstly, wheat or gluten doesn't constitute a whole food group, nor is it essential to health. And secondly, a lot of vegetarians and vegans would take strong exception to this.

People eliminate foods from their diet all the time, for many different reasons, with no ill effects.

True, gluten is not essential to health. However, wheat is inescapably a major component of the Western diet, and enriched wheat flour is how a lot of nutritional deficits are corrected. When you cut this out, you need to make sure to get the nutrients you no longer are getting that are essential to the human diet.

Gluten free substitute flours are usually not enriched (though that is changing in a brand or two), and care must be taken that vitamins are all accounted for on a gluten free diet. Vegetarians are familiar with this problem as well, same thing happens to them with B vitamins, especially B12.

I am a celiac, so I know this from experience.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    Options
    <raises hand>
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You guys are so rude.... lol I said I was skeptical. I wanted to see what other people thought or if anyone else did this? Grow up people... if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be on MFP :happy: just saying

Welcome to MFP, this site is full of rude people. :D
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I don't eat wheat... well, I would say about 90% of the time. It's partly because my boyfriend strongly believes that gluten is bad for you, so I don't prepare any of our meals with wheat products. I'm not super strict with myself, but I don't like bread or pasta to begin with, so wheat just doesn't generally cross paths with me much in general. But we're both flexible, we'll both get McDonalds from time to time or eat cake or whatever. It's just not part of our normal meals.
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    i do not do wheat. i had joint pain and i have pcos, my symptoms were getting really bad. i used a thing called google to research my symptoms, and now that i eat no wheat and no refined sugar and eat real food, (no gluten free goodies) i am able to live. not to mention lose weight which is very hard to do wen you have pcos
  • BoboDoesPrimal
    Options
    I stay away from gluten as well. As with anything, do your research, do the homework and decide which plan works best for you. Here is a good read on the topic (Wheat Belly), and it might provide you some extra guidance if you don't find it in these threads.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361740317&sr=1-1&keywords=wheat+belly

Good luck!
  • pamelalk
    pamelalk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i have cut back on wheat but i still eat it cause I loooove bread....i have been on MFP for a few weeks and love it..i love reading all the advise and stories on my community, but i have to say i am always leary about writing comments because some people are really harsh when putting in their 2 cents..i thought that was what this was for to educate and support in a kind way...to those of you who are knowledgeable, kind, supportive and sensitive ..thank you.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    i do not do wheat. i had joint pain and i have pcos, my symptoms were getting really bad. i used a thing called google to research my symptoms, and now that i eat no wheat and no refined sugar and eat real food, (no gluten free goodies) i am able to live. not to mention lose weight which is very hard to do wen you have pcos

I used Google once to research some symptoms I was having and ended up diagnosing myself with Lymphoma, Fibromyalgia, Acid Reflux, and I think I might have been having a heart attack as well. ;)
  • shabbychick81
    Options
    I'm trying to cut it out of my diet because I think I may be gluten intolerant. It's tough. I miss toast :(

It hasn't been long enough since I cut out wheat to see any kind of "progress", really, but cutting out wheat products meant cutting out a lot of carbs which ended up meaning that I'm eating fewer calories per day and need to get those calories from other (probably healthier) sources. *shrug*

Why not go get a test to see if you are? Would probably be easier than trying to figure it out on your own.

If you had an issue with gluten you would of seen results as soon as you cut it out of your diet.... so unless you are still consuming foods that have gluten in it you do not have an issue with gluten.

the tests are not accurate
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    To the nutritional issues:

http://www.uab.edu/reynolds/pellagra/history

Be careful of the "four D's" of pellagra. :)
    Pellagra, a nutritional deficiency disease caused by the lack of vitamin B3 (niacin) in the diet, is characterized by the four-d’s: dermatitis, diarrhea, dementia, and in some cases death. It is a global disease affecting places where the population diet is primarily maize-based. First described in Spain by Gasper Casal y Julian in 1735, it remained endemic in Southern Europe and the Mediterranean for close to two hundred years before it was recognized in the U.S. in the early 20th century.
  • shabbychick81
    Options
    that is funny! me too! but seriously........ if you cut something out of your diet and you feel better and function better, what is wrong with that. ?????
  • shabbychick81
    Options

I used Google once to research some symptoms I was having and ended up diagnosing myself with Lymphoma, Fibromyalgia, Acid Reflux, and I think I might have been having a heart attack as well. ;)

that is funny! me too! but seriously........ if you cut something out of your diet and you feel better and function better, what is wrong with that. ?????