Replies

• marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    touche sister!
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Your body prefers carbs (as an energy source) because carbs are composed of monosaccharides (in their most basic form), like GLUCOSE, which is the body's primary (and FAVORITE) source of energy- not because they're the easiest to convert to fat. They're the easiest to STORE... as in glycogen storages (again, one of the body's favs) and when glycogen stores are sufficient, excess glucose will be stored as fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You body prefers carbs because carbs are composed of monosaccharides (in their most basic form), like GLUCOSE, which is the body's primary (and FAVORITE) source of energy- not because they're the easiest to convert to fat. They're the easiest to STORE... as in glycogen storages (again, one of the body's favs) and when glycogen stores are sufficient, excess glucose will be stored as fat.

there you go again...talking all sexy about glycogen stores....damn its getting hot in here!
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    I do love that she used "pompous *kitten*" though.. :-)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    LOL I guess that was kind of funny...

I am just curious why I have to cite sources for studies that I have not referred to...weird..?
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    Well SOMEONE needs to cite them.. why not you? Oh, you have no idea what study is being referenced and can't provide appropriate citation? Yeahhhhhhhh....
  • jessicafunkyy
    Options
    I eat a lot of things. I make sure I eat a lot of protein, fruits, and veggies and I'm usually at around 1300 to 1600 calories. I don't do strenuous exercise though.
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested I try for around 100 grams per day to control tryclerides. I have been eating this way except for holidays or feast days (like today at church). I eat great foods. Berries, a half banana, or half an apple, with peanut butter or cheese twice a day, great salads, lots of green vegetables, almond milk, Josephs pita breads & meat.. I don't do heavy lifting but I am very active doing gardening, carpentry, etc. My diary is open is anyone wants to look. Lots of doctors are advising those of us with metabolic syndrome to cut down on carbs to reduce going into full blown diabetes. I watch calories too but mostly average 1300-1400 day. I am 57 and have lost 30lbs since the first of August 2012. If you don't have health issues & your body does well with carbs, eat them. I do not eat this way because I think it is the Only Way to lose as some have suggested. Some people lose counting calories, some fat grams & some count carbs. Why don't we encourage each person in their quest for better health as long as we don't feel they are harming themselves. I wish you all, regardless of your plan the very best health & success in all you do.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer 1, it's not really stupid.
    Disclaimer 2, find your own way that works and do it

Lean meats, fish, vegetables, full fat dairy, nuts, eggs, many more.

Post as many studies as you like, till you are blue in the face. It doesn't matter. There are people on both sides who will laugh at anything you post valid or not. The only thing that matters is 'does it work for you'.

For some people, the fact is, it's just easier.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest here. The only reason people do low carb is because they think that's the "only way to lose weight." I used to do that and I can't imagine ever going back to that. People that have the mentality "oh carbs cause an insulin response. If I remove them, it's impossible to store fat." Your body turns protein into glucose.

To be fair, I've lost weight in the past both eating a low-fat diet and just simply restricting calories without specific attention to macros. However, I am now diabetic and have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

My macros are set to 20% carbs/50%fat/30%protein. I have eliminated grains completely ( I also have celiac sprue and some food intolerances which make that an easier choice) and limit my fruit to small, infrequent servings of berries, melons and apples. I get my carbs from non-starchy vegetables and nuts/seeds. A1c is now in the normal range, cholesterol is now in the normal range, LDL /HDL ratio is almost in the nromal range, triglycerides are in the normal range. I've lost weight and feel great. I'm not sure what you consider "strenuous" exercise. I don't run marathons, but have no problems with weights, HIIT on the elliptical or back-to-back cardio classes

The truth is that carbs ARE the devil for anyone with a metabolic disorder. For those individuals, a low-carb diet is NOT a fad, but something that must be adhered to for the rest of their lives.
  • savbentley
    Options
    I'm only doing 1200 calories a day plus exercising so it usually gets me up to about 1400-1500 calories a day. After taking into account breakfast lunch and dinner of protein and veggies as well as a snack during the day, there isn't any issue with reaching those calories. I guess I don't understand why this topic was posted in the first place though.... When I first clicked on this and posted, I thought there was an actual interest in the response. Unfortunately it seems that this is just a string of posts to bash other people's way of dieting/eating. For anyone that this hasn't worked for, I hope you have found something that does. For those of you that this has worked for, congrats and I am very glad that it has! For anyone who can't accept that what doesn't work for you is 100% wrong and there is no possible way that it could work for someone else, I sincerely hope and pray that you are not this bigoted and judgmental on other aspects of your life.

Nobody provided a substantial argument. I'm not bigoted or judgmental whatsoever.. this is the internet. It's apparently quite easy to misread.
  • savbentley
    Options
    you really should do a little research before you ask questions with disclaimers......

some of us ( type 2 diabetics) cant handle carbs.....our bodies are all different....some people can handle a LCHF (low carb, high fat)
    diet and lose unbelievable weight...

me...i lost 130 pounds in 7 months... I am also type 2 diabetic...so low carb high fat works...FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT....
    carbs that turn to sugar and glucose in your body does.....

I find the GOOGLE is a great resource...try it!

If it's a medical necessity that's a different story.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer #1: I think ridiculously low carb diets with regular exercise are generally stupid...
    ... Like I said.. I'm just curious.

If you don't know anything about it, how do you manage to be so opinionated?

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!
  • savbentley
    Options
    Disclaimer #1: I think ridiculously low carb diets with regular exercise are generally stupid...

If you don't know anything about it, how do you manage to be so opinionated?

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!

I still don't understand why it's assumed I don't know anything about it. I know the science behind why carbohydrates are important. What I was asking, is what do people who do low carb diets eat day to day? Out of my apparent "passive aggressive" curiosity, lol. I don't see why me defending my opinion makes me so awful, unless a doctor tells you to do so I don't agree with the idea of cutting an important macronutrient (for the most part) out of your diet.
  • 366to266
    Options
    Peter Attia, M.D. explains it here: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/my-pet-peeve

Dr Attia wrote this:

"The notion that you can’t do high-intensity exercise without carbohydrates is simply and categorically false. Everything about this myth is false – the necessity of so-called “carb loading,” the necessity of carbs for glycogen production, the necessity of glucose to feed your brain, the necessity of carbs to “spike” insulin to drive amino acids into muscles. All of this mythology is just that.

Every study I have seen that draws these conclusions is replete with methodological errors and without exception does not carry out an apples-to-apples comparison. In time, I hope to address all of these points in greater detail for folks who are interested in combining low carb eating with intense athletic performance.

But for now I thought I’d demonstrate that you can flip 450 pound tires or do jumping pull-ups without eating carbohydrates.

Furthermore, if you can do these things without carbohydrates in your diet, you can assuredly carry your suitcase through the airport, carry your groceries to your car, pick up your screaming toddler in the mall, or do virtually any other physical challenge you need to."
  • 366to266
    Options
    If the OP would simply read this one page, it would save all this argument.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132598293

It begins

There is a lot of understandable skepticism and tons of misconceptions about keto; I want to give back to the community and let newcomers know, however surprising it may be, that keto (or at least a diet low in grains/sugars and high in fats) is a very healthy diet with numerous benefits....

so click the link
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Furthermore, if you can do these things without carbohydrates in your diet, you can assuredly carry your suitcase through the airport, carry your groceries to your car, pick up your screaming toddler in the mall, or do virtually any other physical challenge you need to."

Which of course compares to heavy lifting and HIIT. Why didn't I think of that before?
    But for now I thought I’d demonstrate that you can flip 450 pound tires or do jumping pull-ups without eating carbohydrates.

Yes, of course it CAN be done, by why WOULD you do it? You'd feel a hell of a lot better, could push more weight and do more "jumping pull ups" with carbs than without.
  • Darlekins
    Options

I still don't understand why it's assumed I don't know anything about it. I know the science behind why carbohydrates are important. What I was asking, is what do people who do low carb diets eat day to day? Out of my apparent "passive aggressive" curiosity, lol. I don't see why me defending my opinion makes me so awful, unless a doctor tells you to do so I don't agree with the idea of cutting an important macronutrient (for the most part) out of your diet.

You weren't being passive-aggessive. You were being aggressive - words like "stupid" certainly tend to be interpreted that way, especally when "stupid" really would be ignoring a HUGE subset of people with metabolic disorders. And, no, coming back later with lolz and "If it's a medical necessity that's a different story" doesn't work. How about if you do some research about the reasons why a low-carb approach might be preferred by some BEFORE you post about how stupid it is.

Fat (essential fatty acids) and protein (amino acids) are necessary macros. Carbohydrates, while certainly tasty, are not important as you claim.

And to answer your "innocent" question, low-carbers eat vegetables (thereby getting some of those "important" carbs), nuts and seeds (thereby getting some of those "important" carbs), meats (including eggs), fats and cheese (also a source of those "important" carbs. Depending on where a low-carber's macros are set, they may also include small portions of fruits (especially berries), legumes, dairy products in addition to cheese, and starchier vegetables such as sweet potatoes.
  • savbentley
    Options

You weren't being passive-aggessive. You were being aggressive - words like "stupid" certainly tend to be interpreted that way, especally when "stupid" really would be ignoring a HUGE subset of people with metabolic disorders. And, no, coming back later with lolz and "If it's a medical necessity that's a different story" doesn't work. How about if you do some research about the reasons why a low-carb approach might be preferred by some BEFORE you post about how stupid it is.

Fat (essential fatty acids) and protein (amino acids) are necessary macros. Carbohydrates, while certainly tasty, are not important as you claim.

And to answer your "innocent" question, low-carbers eat vegetables (thereby getting some of those "important" carbs), nuts and seeds (thereby getting some of those "important" carbs), meats (including eggs), fats and cheese (also a source of those "important" carbs. Depending on where a low-carber's macros are set, they may also include small portions of fruits (especially berries), legumes, dairy products in addition to cheese, and starchier vegetables such as sweet potatoes.

Let me point out I said "generally" stupid. Which means usually, but not always. As in it's not stupid when it's medically necessary. Anyways. People are too sensitive. Let's remember this is the internet before we go getting all offended.

Also thank you for so kindly answering my question. :)
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Let's remember this is srs business before we go getting all offended.

Fixed.

<3