Healthy Flapjacks - Do they exist??

Options
2»

Replies

• literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Looks to me what id call a granola bar ....sorry, I was going to give a nice protein pancake recipe

They're more like a gooey oatmeal cookie. Delicious!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    http://workowt.com/nutrition/recipes/high-protein-pancakes/

I used this recipe last year with no shame. It's not bad.
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    *laughs*

Hey, Americans, this is flapjack when a Brit is asking!
    foodie-flapjacks-HERO-bb9b24d9-db77-4b62-b49b-d0573af3fef1-0-472x310.jpg

OP - I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid, but assumed you weren't after pancake recipes!

If I hadnt seen the picture I would have assumed pancakes too..lol♡♥

But, I just made this granola cereal this week and it looks alot like the picture but was more of a granola cereal consistancy than bar. For the 1cup sunflower seeds I swapped that for a bag of 'salad pizzaz'that had a 1 cup mixture of sunflower seeds, raisins, pepita seeds, cashews and almonds. Delish! It is high calorie so I just adjust my meals for the day so I dont go over.

http://cavegirlcuisine.net/2012/08/01/cinnamon-pecan-crunch-cereal/

chocolate chips optional :flowerforyou:
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    1 cup of plain Greek yogurt (I used Fage)
    1/2 cup of flour
    1/2 TSP of baking soda
    1/4 cup of egg substitute
    2 TBSP of skim milk
    1 TSP of vanilla extract
    1/2 TSP of maple syrup

Combine all ingredients, mix until well incorporated. Heat a skillet (using medium heat), use cooking spray and scoop one pancake at a time. I used sliced bananas in my recipe, but you can add whatever you want. The bananas helped spread out the batter as it is thick and I used a cookie scoop for them.
    Makes three medium-sized pancakes.
  • catcalledjinx
    Options
    I just loaded my homemade flapjack recipe and it came out at just under 200 calories a serving. I might have to cut it into smaller pieces. Most of the calories come from the oats and the butter, so maybe you could try a low-fat butter to cut it back a bit more. Here is my recipe: 150g butter, 100g light brown sugar, 2 tablespoons syrup, 250g porridge oats, 50g dried fruit and 50g nuts.
    Makes 16 servings. So, if you cut it into say 24 pieces, it will come out around 130 calories per piece.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just made this recipe after reading this topic... It was way too delicious. >_>;;

http://video.about.com/britishfood/How-to-Make-Flapjacks.htm

I only made half the recipe though cause I didn't have enough oats, and I didn't have glucose syrup either so I just used 1 tablespoon of light syrup and 2 tablespoons of honey.
    I also had some almond flour and cranberries. I didn't feel like chopping nuts hence the flour.

One serving (49 grams) out of eight (377 grams) was around 240 calories.

And it's probably a lot less if you use (ugh) margarine instead of butter and don't add berries and almond flour.
  • ljmiller11
    ljmiller11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions. In the end I went for a recipe that was healthier than normal but also yummy!

I used 150gms of low fat butter, two table spoons of golden syrup, 200gms porridge oats, 30gms dried apricots, 30gms dried apple & raspberry and then covered in a little dark chocolate for added flavour. It was delicious!

I bought the rest into the office for everyone else to try. Mainly so I don't eat it all myself :)
  • Carlos0371
    Options
    Don't know if anyone is still looking for low calorie flapjacks (the UK ones) I found one here: http://cakeincardiff.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/low-calorie-flapjacks/
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy crepes so I tweaked an Alton Brown recipe. Whisk together

2 large eggs
    1.25c carbmaster skim milk
    3tbsp melted salted butter
    1c chickpea flour ( scoop and shake-not sifted)
    Pinch of salt

Small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Take pan off heat between crepes and wipe with a paper towel that has a little coconut oil on it. This recipe makes 20 crepes
    I estimate the crepes are about 65 calories apiece but they have 11.5 g of protein in a serving of 5.
    You can use them for breakfast or like any wrap. I like to spread them with mayo and pop in some avocado and tomato.

Buy your chickpea flour at an Indian market-much bigger bag at half the price. They call it Besan or Gram flour