High Protein Meal Ideas (W/O Protein Supplements)

Options
13»

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Ummm, just wondering if you use skim or semi-skim dairy? If so, switch to full-fat (better for you anyway), and you'll get all the protein you would be getting from protein powders at a fraction of the cost. The dairy companies are laughing all the way to the bank, having convinced people to pay twice - once for the milk without any of the protein/good fats, and twice at an exorbitantly-inflated price for all the whey they are skimming off and selling as 'protein powder'.

I never really thought of it that way. I may try whole milk. I haven't been very keen on whole milk for a long time now though. But I'm willing to try anything. :)
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese ... I have that with chicken for lunch and I was shocked at 38g of protein in the serving I had :)
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Ummm, just wondering if you use skim or semi-skim dairy? If so, switch to full-fat (better for you anyway), and you'll get all the protein you would be getting from protein powders at a fraction of the cost. The dairy companies are laughing all the way to the bank, having convinced people to pay twice - once for the milk without any of the protein/good fats, and twice at an exorbitantly-inflated price for all the whey they are skimming off and selling as 'protein powder'.

I never really thought of it that way. I may try whole milk. I haven't been very keen on whole milk for a long time now though. But I'm willing to try anything. :)

If you're used to skim, try using semi-skimmed for a while before you go back to whole - it's an easier adjustment. Same applies to other dairy - yoghurt, cheese etc.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    cottage cheese ... I have that with chicken for lunch and I was shocked at 38g of protein in the serving I had :)

Sounds so good! I used to do that quite a bit. That and rice noodles with it too.

@castadiva - Good point. Although we don't generally buy semi-skimmed in my household. I buy skimmed, my parents have whole milk. I think I'm going to give it a go with whole milk though. I used to drink it until it came out of my ears! But I just lost a lot of love with milk.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    My husband had some strange ideas about protein powder too, I explained to him the reasons behind it and how hard it is for me to meet protein macros etc I'm not sure he's convinced by hey ho!

I only use it on lifting days.

Please don't allow your bf to tell you what you can and can't consume. :flowerforyou:
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Google 'Low cal, high protein recipes' (I did). Lots to choose from and give you ideas.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Ok - diary now open.

My wife doesn't like the idea of protein powder either, if you can't get the required macros from eating a healthy, balanced diet, she thinks its a bad idea, and I kind of agree. I, however don't like protein powder because its bloody expensive and I'm a skinflint.

Cottage cheese *Is* curds and whey - and you don't have to put on a miss muffet costume to eat it apparently.

I used to feed loads of whey (in its liquid form) to pigs, and they did well on it...think of all the money I could have made selling it to people who wanted to consume more protein.....
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    My husband had some strange ideas about protein powder too, I explained to him the reasons behind it and how hard it is for me to meet protein macros etc I'm not sure he's convinced by hey ho!

I only use it on lifting days.

Please don't allow your bf to tell you what you can and can't consume. :flowerforyou:

I don't think mine will ever understand either. I will come up with something. I stopped lifting for a bit (I've only been doing Zumba toning for the past month or so), but I am starting again and need the protein. But thanks. :flowerforyou:

@SteveJWatson - Thank you. :) I shall be looking. It is very expensive, I agree!
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of protein, anywhere from 120-160g a day. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    I eat lots of protein, anywhere from 120-160g a day. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas.

Thank you! I will. :)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of protein shakes and added whey, etc. So I guess I don't eat them for different reasons. My husband have been trying to help me on this venture. We found protein bars. They are okay and some are really good. They look like candy bars too. You could try them :-)
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Beans, lean chicken breast, greek yogurt, nuts - all good sources of protein. Try to keep an eye on the cottage cheese though, most have a high sodium content so if you watch for that, keep that it mind. I use muscle milk vanilla creme for my protein shakes. Actually, I wasn't into protein shakes a lot until my husband made one for me (he's a Marine, so he's tried it all, lol). They are really yummy and great for on the run! Good luck :)
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    I hate the taste of protein shakes and added whey, etc. So I guess I don't eat them for different reasons. My husband have been trying to help me on this venture. We found protein bars. They are okay and some are really good. They look like candy bars too. You could try them :-)

Good idea! I just find them extremely expensive. However, I will definitely get some next time I got to a supermarket!

@miss_ally08 - Thank you. :)
  • gingerygal
    gingerygal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Here's a great recipe you can make a ton of, eat for a few days, and has 33 grams of protein per serving. You could up that by adding more chicken.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/gingerfitness/view/buffalo-chicken-quinoa-495759

It's delicious!
  • ninjakittens
    ninjakittens Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    A bit late to this party - but in case anyone is looking for more ideas this recipe is super super tasty and very protein-y too!
    Smoked mackerel pate:
    1 packet smoked mackerel - shred and remove bones.
    1 carton cottage cheese.
    Some lemon juice & salt and pepper to taste.

Eat with crackers/ryvita/bread/on it's own.....
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    edit 2:Oy, just realized this was a zombie resurrection thread. Nevermind.