1st time mommy!

Options

Replies

• Skittlez_
    Options
    They have lists for you to look at and make sure you get. Alot of the stuff on their is not needed but heres my must haves as I had my first (and only...now)

1. Bottle Warmer (if you are not breast feeding its amazing. you NEVER want to put a bottle in the microwave because it heats uneven and can burn baby)
    2. Diaper Genie. ( it can get expensive for the refills but stops the smell so it's so worth it!)
    3. Wipe warmer. (no one likes a cold wipe on their bottom!)

Hope it helped! Congrats!! :)

I am breast feeding but I put the bottle warmer on my list just for when I pump so that I can easily warm it back up. I put the wipe warmer on there too. Those were almost my exact thoughts when seeing that haha!
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I agree with the mom who said not to get the diaper genie. I had huge problems with mine.

I would suggest putting diapers you can never have enough diapers and a diaper bag filled with things that you would need. burping cloths, baby blankets, things like that.
  • Skittlez_
    Options
    If your breastfeeding the Boppy Pillow is the best thing on the planet!

That was the first thing we bought =)
  • Skittlez_
    Options
    I agree with other posters that a diaper genie is a waste of money. As far as swings/bouncy seats and the like go, my oldest wouldn't stay in either, he screamed if I put him in it. But Nr. 2 loved the bouncy seat...for about 2 months LOL

We had a bassinet with the second one and he was in it (in our room) until he slept through the night. It was great, because that way we didn't have to worry about him waking up big brother (only 15 months at the time and sleeping in his own room). A pack-and-play is great especially after they outgrow the bassinet.

As far as nursing/pumping goes, I only used Lansinoh bags for milk storage and I LOVED them. I don't even know what else is out there, it's the only kind I tried. And I did have a double electric pump, but I also had a manual one, which worked great for taking to work or other places.

One thing I forgot... BOPPY PILLOW!!! I was not going to get one, because I thought they were kind of expenisive, but I found one at a consignment sale for $8 and I STILL use it every day. Best "investment" ever!

The other thing has nothing to do with baby registries, but check your area for consignment sales. They are great for getting anything baby for much cheaper, because it is used. There are various different ones that are twice a year for summer/winter stuff. In our area we have "Here We Grow Again" (my personal favorite), "Kids Closet Connection", "Just Between Friends", and "Rhea Lana". Those are the ones I have been to, but there are probably more out there.

I don't know how you feel about pacifiers, but neither one of ours wanted one (no matter what brand). We ended up with a ton of different ones, because people bought them, but we didn't really use them.

We bought one pacifier but I don't plan on using it unless I have to. I really hope I dont get any lol.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Diapers, diapers and more diapers (only get one maybe two packs of newborn, but get LOTS of 2's!!!!)
    Wipes
    Butt Paste (works 100x better than Desitin)
    Gas relief drops
    Infant Tylenol
    Lavendar bath wash/lotion
    onsies
    cloth diapers (best burp cloths...not as diapers)

Bouncy chair that vibrates - both my kids LOVED those things.
    Sound machine - white noise
    Rocking chair for the nursery

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Swing!!!! is a must both my kids loved their swing and my daughter is 2 months and she lives in hers. I also recommend using cloth diapers as burp cloths they are larger and cheaper than actual burp cloths, I liked my bassinet but both of my kids became too large for theirs early. With my son I got 1 month use and with my daughter we had 2 1/2 months she didn't become too big she just liked to stretch out and she kept waking up when she hit the sides of it. If you formula feed a bottle warmer is a waste of money just make the bottles on demand it is extremely faster. I also think breast pumps are a waste of money. If you are planning on pumping everyday and often I would check into a hospital grade pump most hospitals rent them. I was only able to breast feed for 2 months if I had bought one I would have been out of money. I paid $40 for the equipment and $1 per day for the pump. Since I didn't produce enough milk it was cheaper for me to do it this way and if it broke while I rented it I didn't have to pay for it to be fixed or replaced.

Diaper genies are a waste also. I also think that a cozy cover is a must if you live where it gets cold they are great for the fall and winter and so much easier to use than buntings. For me pacifiers were a waste of money neither of my kids took to them and the hospital supplied me with one because you have to use special pacifiers if you breast feed. Also newborn diapers were a waste unless you have a baby under 8lbs you really only need 1 package of those if at all. Also if you leave diapers you aren't going to use in package you can return them regardless if you have a receipt.

There are so many others but those are the most important.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    OMG totally forgot about the gazillion breast pads I got through! I was using the Tommee Tippee disposable ones.

Ooh and some kind of sling thing. I had a Baby Bjorn Baby Carrier that I used daily until DD was too big to fit in it! We're pretty rural and so much easier when going for a walk than taking a pushchair. Also really good for going shopping when they are tiny as you have your hands free!

Agreed on the baby wipes thing. I still buy them now and DD is 4! At least 1001 uses.
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A really good baby carrier. So easy to be an on the go Mommy after that. I have 6 kids and they all love being in the pack on mommy. Ergo baby has some nice ones. A bit pricey but worth it. I would suggest to to a babies R us and actually trying them on to see which one you like best. Congrats! Being a Mommy is amazing!
  • chubalina
    chubalina Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Things I got the most use of :

Bottle warmer (Dr Browns)

Diaper Genie (still using, my son just turned 2)

Bottles, Sippy Cups, Diapers, wipes, bath towels with hoodies, wash clothes, bath soap, cream, Triple Paste Diaper Cream is the best for bad rashes - don't waste your money on Desitin. Also the infant tub.

My son was/is a good a sleeper we would just put him in the bassinet and he would go to sleep (lucky I know) so we didn't really get much use out of the swing. It all depends on the baby for things like that.

Good Luck and Congrats : )
  • kellyf_83
    Options
    No to a diaper Genie, No to a bassinet. Yes to a sound machine for the bay's room! one that plays ocean and rain sounds. Also- don't waste your money on nipple cream- the hospital will give you as much as you need. you'll only have to use it for 2 weeks or so. Also- wait to buy a breast pump! You won't want to pump for a few weeks anyways, and if your baby requires supplemental formula you may not have a need for the cadillac of pumps. Even though I used my pump a lot, I hated it. And if you don;t need it then you can spend that money on other goodies for the baby. :)
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    A swing, a boppy pillow, one of those little nose sucker things (baby will hate this and scream like you are trying to kill it, but they come in handy!), a couple of "sleeper bags" so you don't have to put blankets in the bed with baby, a ducky that changes color if bath water is too hot, a spoon for feeding later on that also changes color if food is too hot, and a camera with lots of batteries! Congrats on your little bundle! You will be amazed at how much you will instantly love that tiny little person. :heart:
  • kdgolfer
    kdgolfer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One thing I received as a shower gift that was very helpful was a mesh bag to hold all of the little socks to keep them from getting lost in the wash.
  • Skittlez_
    Options
    I am appreciating all the feed back! Thank you everyone. I gotta get some work done but please keep the ideas coming!
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    And I see a lot about stocking up on burp cloths... Which is what we did, because we heard it from everyone too... But both of our boys ended up pretty much never spitting up (guess we just got lucky) and I literally NEVER used any of ours...

Our boys did just fine without the wipes warmer and a plastic container with hot water in it works great for warming up a bottle. My MIL used a little warmer that came with her crock pot, that works a little faster than the hot water, but is still cheaper than a bottle warmer. And when you don't use it for bottles, making dips works excellent :)
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Travel system carseat, stroller combos!! Soo easy to use, especially as baby gets older and heavier!

Breast pump-Medela In Style Advance Double pump, this is the one I have and I love it. It's easy to travel with. I even pumped in the car while away with my husband for our anniversary weekend, ridin' down the road with the battery pack. (I was covered up!) I haven't had issues with chaffing from breastfeeding, but I know some who have a they swear by lanolin!

If you plan on breastfeeding, I WOULD have a bassinet, at least for the first couple of months. It's so much easier to just roll over every couple of hours to feed baby, instead of having to wake allll the way up, walk to another room, to feed the little one. We never really used formula, but I think formula fed babies tend to sleep a little longer between feedings than bf babies. Someone gave us one, and I used it until my son was 2 months old, then put him in his crib. If you know someone that has one they would let you borrow, that's what I would do.

The biggest waste I think was the crib bedding set. I believe (and I could be wrong) that it is recommended that there should be no pillows, fluffy blankets, positioners, toys/stuffed animals in the crib with baby at least until baby is one year old to prevent suffocation. Dress the little warmly and keep the room temperature comfortable in place of blankets. We spent all this money on a cute bedding set that we wont use for another six months/year. (My baby is 10.5 months old now)

I do like wipe warmers, but I think that's just a personal preference.

A little tip, ALWAYS have extra clothes for baby and YOU and whoever else is out with you when taking the baby somewhere. I also used wetness protectors in the carseat and bouncy seat in case there ever was an accident-those things aint easy to clean if they get poop on 'em!
    I'm pretty sure that we didn't need half of the stuff we got, but hey, ya live and learn, and you will learn soooo much in the upcomin' months! Congrats and best wishes!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    oh yes burp clothes. You simply cannot have enough of those suckers. And don't bother with pretty ones. Seriously. They'll be foul in no time.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Sleeper gowns with newborn.

A smoke detector for babies room.

Baby CPR classes or online instructions.

Baby tylenol and gas drops.

And a few bottles of spray n wash
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    And I see a lot about stocking up on burp cloths... Which is what we did, because we heard it from everyone too... But both of our boys ended up pretty much never spitting up (guess we just got lucky) and I literally NEVER used any of ours...

Our boys did just fine without the wipes warmer and a plastic container with hot water in it works great for warming up a bottle. My MIL used a little warmer that came with her crock pot, that works a little faster than the hot water, but is still cheaper than a bottle warmer. And when you don't use it for bottles, making dips works excellent :)

We didn't have to use the bibs/burp cloths so much for the spitting up as for all the drooling because of the teething... The daycare my daughter goes to uses a crockpot to heat up bottles as well... I just ran hot tap water over it (or in a container if I couldn't stand there for a few) and it worked alright... but I used the drop-ins so it was easy to heat that way.
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    . Also- wait to buy a breast pump! You won't want to pump for a few weeks anyways, and if your baby requires supplemental formula you may not have a need for the cadillac of pumps.

I had to pump while still in the hospital, little man didn't latch on correctly until my milk came in fully, and I had to pump to help my body produce milk. We used what I pumped at the hospital to supplement him until he got the hang of bf. I had my husband bring me my pump so the hospital wouldn't charge me for using theirs.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    steer clear of new born diapers, new born clothes!

I used newborn sized stuff until DD was about 3 months old or so... everything else was super big... so newborn sizes just depends on how big the baby ends up being when born.