Is it safe to eat 2 eggs everyday?

Options

Replies

• erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    No, centenarians never ate eggs. People that say 1 egg a day is fine but eating 2 will increase risk are thinking illogically.....the obvious answer is don't eat any and you eliminate that risk......wasn't that easy and logical.:wink:

Lets face it, it's the 300 or 400mg's in the eggs that will kill us and not the 35,000 or 40,000mg's we have naturally circulating in our body and any given time....those damn pesky eggs that have that big bulls eye for the nutritionally challenged to target, easy peasy.

What if the risk is not caused by cholesterol but by something else? I'll admit I haven't read a lot of egg research because I don't care for eggs enough to eat them often. But of the research I've seen that tied eggs to increased incidence of heart disease, it didn't specifically tie cholesterol to the same risk.
    Lets see, over the last 30 years going back to the low fat diet era it was either cholesterol and saturated fat that was seen as the problem. If it's not cholesterol then it's saturated fat. The argument against saturated fat is that it raises LDL cholesterol, simple, and people don't have to think or even research because "they" say so, so it must be true or maybe your talking about trptophan, selenium, iodine, b vitamins, vitamin D, or phosphorus in eggs that are harmful. Maybe it's the cloline in eggs being so prevalent are causing the problem, nah, that can't be right..........it's probably that 1.5g's of saturated fat in an egg, yeah that's the guy, it will kill us all. But wait, there's more saturated fat in a serving of salmon or almost the same as an oz of almonds, and an avocado has twice as much saturated fat as an egg. lol. :smile:

Or that it's neither and actually not caused by cholesterol or saturated fat. That systemic inflammation and lipids are the cause.

The Framington Heart Study followed the dietary habits of 15,000 participants over three generations. The longest most comprehensive epidemiological assessment in medical history (started I'm 1948). Dr Castelli summarised this issue "serum cholesterol is not a strong risk for coronary heart disease)". It found that there is no correlation between dietary cholesterol intake and blood cholesterol levels. Framington residents who ate the most cholesterol, saturated fat, and total calories actually weighed the least and were the most physically active.

Aren't lipids fats? That was my understanding of them.

Yes but not dietary fat, it has many processes in the body one of which is carrying cholesterol. This excerpt explains it better than I can:

Ironically, it turns out that it’s not the cholesterol part of the LDL or HDL moiety that is dangerous, but the actual lipoprotein part. Unfortunately, once medicine had found a way to differentiate between the amount of HDL and LDL in a cost-effective blood test, it was the cholesterol part that got the short end of the deal.

The latest research into LDL shows that there are actually sub-categories of this cholesterol transporter and that some are more dangerous than others. The larger, more billowy LDL particles are now thought to have little or no significant role in heart disease. On the other hand, the smaller, dense LDL particles are the ones believed to be most involved in the process of inflammation that begins the atherosclerosis cascade. And wouldn’t you know it, but it’s a diet high in simple carbs that most readily promotes the formation of these small LDL particles! Unfortunately, this important distinction is probably something your doctor knows very little about, yet it’s the number of small particle LDL that might be the most important reading in any cholesterol test. So a total cholesterol of, say, 230 or even 250 might not be dangerous at all if your HDL is high and your small particle LDL is low.

edited for innaccuracy
  • Caleen58
    Caleen58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I followed the "egg debate" for many years and I believe the current scientific thinking is that eggs are not "bad" anymore. Plus, the give me that protein that keeps me full.
  • Caleen58
    Caleen58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When we were kids we colored eggs for Easter and left a basket of them on the table, ate them for week and all of us lived!:laugh:
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    According to the American Heart Association, healthy individuals should limit their dietary cholesterol to 300 mg per day. One egg yolk provides about 200 mg of cholesterol. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for pate, butter, fish, cheese, meats, milk or chocolate! It's a good thing that plant-based foods such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables do not contain cholesterol. But then again, dietary cholesterol may not significantly influence your blood cholesterol levels. Fats and sugars play a greater role. This is what I have read. I don't really know. I have two eggs every Sunday morning and otherwise eggs just once in a blue moon, say a hard boiled egg on pumpernickel or at a diner serving Eggs Benedict. I love eggs, but don't often yearn for them.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating eggs every day. I eat 3 almost every morning with 2 strips of bacon. I found this article helpful in debunking most of the egg scare myths:

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2012/08/23/more-on-the-egg-yolk-study/
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    2 every day for me. My cholesterol level is 3.4 Maybe you have to keep an eye on things if your cholesterol levels are high but otherwise I say get cracking!! :laugh:
  • dannyennis74
    dannyennis74 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs everyday with no problems, but only eat 1 yolk a day

Dan
  • mrsk27
    mrsk27 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i love eggs too...i read today that by eating them poached stops the yolk from oxidising (dunno what exactly that is)
    yolk oxidising is what causes it to produce bad cholestrol which can harm the body.......very pleased bout this this as poached is my fave way to eat my eggs
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    If you are referring to the cholesterol than yes it's safe. From what I've read, eating cholesterol doesn't raise your cholesterol. Excess simple carbs and too much sugar is typically the culprit.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    As long as you are having a healthy diet throught your day it's ok and the doctor says you are ok to do so. I just don't like that the more you eat them, the more you run out and then you have to buy yet ANOTHER carton of eggs. My cousin buys them by the crate at a wholesale store. Me, I don't have the space to store them, so I just eat one.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Even Dr OZ has changed his tune about cholesterol. Your bodies cholesterol is not determined by your dietary cholesterol intake despite what the AHA has been saying.

Dr. OZ: The Doctors Who Say Everything You Know About Cholesterol Is Wrong
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swrKkwlnSnI&list=WL65ED074376F6842C
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Ugh did you just hint at Cadbury Creme Eggs? I have to say I hate you. I have been trying to avoid them since they are soooooo yummmyy and terrible for me. Thanks for reminding me that they exist. LOL
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm broke this week and might end up eating nothing but eggs most days. I'll let you know if I die or turn into a chicken.

Also, done this before plenty of times, never killed me yet.

I'm going to bet that you will die eventually. The question isn't whether eating eggs today will kill you today, which is unlikely unless you choke on them. The question is whether eating too many eggs will cause you to die earlier than if you didn't eat them.

"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

i will not cut anything out of my diet...
  • the_crazy_ninja
    Options
    Eating eggs every day. 2-6. Eggs are damn healthy!
  • stestut
    Options
    I have 4 egg whites every morning. I haven't had any issues.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

How does one die of nothing?
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I ate 4 today...and damn...they were YUMMMMY!:bigsmile:
  • melaniemiller2002
    Options
    I eat eggs every day but I eat eggs from pasture-fed chickens. The Omega fats in them are higher than traditional processed eggs and the cholesterol is lower. My current cholesterol is 119, triglycerides are 66, and LDL is in the 50's, which is a decrease from 201, 176, and 105 numbers a little over a year ago. We switched over to pasture fed eggs and coconut oil at that time so I am pretty sure that had something to do with it. I actually cook my eggs with coconut oil....yum!!
  • turner95
    Options
    Make sure to get rid of the shells before you eat them :)
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    I eat 2 whole eggs every single day for breakfast. I see the doctor and have blood work done regularly; no issues, stunningly clean bill of health!

I bet it depends on some other factors. Your body might process things differently, or you might have different sources of cholesterol that add up more... If you're worried about it, I would ask your doctor. But my amateur evaluation is that unless you know you have some kind of cholesterol problem, you're probably fine.