Ladies only please.

Options
2»

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Did you try a smaller band size when you tried on the D and DD bras? Usually with a larger cup you can get one with a smaller band size. I can wear anything from a 38B to a 36C. IF you didn't try a smaller band size maybe try a size or two smaller in the band for the D/DD cup.

You can buy a single sports bra from Walmart. Maybe get one and wear one of the three pack ones over it. I did that to stretch out having to buy a new one when mine was a touch too big.

Normally you will have to spend a bit of money on a good, supportive bra. I have had great luck with the cheaper, single bras from Walmart and other stores like Walmart.
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I hate spending lots of cash on something that I know won't fit me in 2 months anyway - so all my sports bras and other workout gear comes from Marshall's/TJ Maxx. Sports bras are from $9.99 to $19.99 regular price (cheaper if you can find some on clearance). I found some great ones that say "Maximum Support" on the tag. I did have to go to 4 or 5 different ones to get enough stuff, but you can't beat the prices!
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just wear two bras. I'm a 36 DDD and even at my thinnest (155 lbs) I was a 36 DD. Losing weight really has never any effect on their size.

No matter how much money I spend on a "good" sports bra, they will work great for a few runs and then the support is gone. So I wear my normal, every day underwire bra and then a really good sports bra over it. I have one from Target. Those two plus a compression cami and I'm ready to rock and roll.

Hope that helps!

:tongue:
  • linnaeus
    linnaeus Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For all of you doubling up, there ARE bras out there that eliminate the need for that. I got a Moving Comfort Bra and that thing keeps everything in place with no need for extra bras and fitted tank tops and what not. There are other brands out there that offer wired sports bras too. I suggest getting a proper fitting (NOT at Victoria's Secret). I know places like REI carry top-quality sports bras. It's worth the money for the comfort.

You can also use the fitting guide in this post: http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/comments/rh26h/is_getting_fitted_for_a_bra_as_humiliating_as_it/c469bi0

Within that forum you'll also find a ton of supportive (and well-supported!) women who can help with sizing advice.

Recently I bought a bra in my real size (just went from a 36DD to a 34G) and now I hate the way my old bras feel.

http://brastop.com has tons of sports bras in all sizes.
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    I am on a budget as well. and all I have is the cheapy 3-pack type bras too....So what I do is I wear one of my older, normal bras under a cheapy sports bra, it helps control the girls when I run!! It works, and I didn't have to spend a fortune on sports bras :)
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    sorry....repost
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Moving Comfort Maia II is what I wear; I buy them at RoadRunnerSports.com when they're on sale and they're always having sales. I also buy my running shoes from the same place. I was a 44DDD when I started; I'm now a 36G and am wearing the same sports bra, just moved to different rows of hooks. Well worth the investment!
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    UA armour bra, its around $70, but it literally holds everything in place and it isn't uncomfortable

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/ca/en/armour-bra/sports-bras-collection

Yup!
  • mesicali_chica
    mesicali_chica Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I got the razor backs from old navy.... They are $10 and they seem to do the job.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Don't buy more than a couple----pretty soon you won't need them -most likely you'll need smaller sizes as you progress especially your band size. Good luck :smile:
  • mkmb1983
    mkmb1983 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others not to buy too many because you'll go through sizes and having to buy often is both expensive and annoying. What I do is get fitted and then buy that brand cheaper online. (For example, the bra I wear is literally half the price online as it is in the lingerie shop.) Plus I have exercise tops that have support features in them. So then it's sorta like doubling up but the exercise top will be good for ages. G'luck! :)
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I'd buy one, REALLY good bra. If you *know* they'll get smaller, just one will get you through your bounciest routines, and you can go back to doubling up the cheap ones for weight lifting and lower bounce workouts.

I've found the less elastic, the more "regular bra"-like in appearance, the more stable they hold the girls. Right now I'm adoring my champion powerback underwire bra. Very little stretch, you buy your real bra size (get fitted by someone at a proper bra store to be sure), and they won't move, at all, ever. I've got two of those, and two milder bras I use for biking and yoga and other lower bounce stuff. I did save up for them, but real bras that fit are 200% worth it.

In general:

1.) steer clear of any bras sold in generic sizes (S/M/L/XL), these need elastic to accomodate the different sized/shaped people, and that elastic will let your girls flop all over the place. Use them for lower impact sports while you save for a real bra.

2,) steer clear of "compression" style bras. sorry, but shy of mammogram-type compression, if you can breathe, they'll bounce all over the place. This is the most popular, cheapest style of bra (common to #1). "encapsulating" bras will keep your girls contained individually and minimize chafing. Again, use only while you save up for a real bra.

3.) steer clear of anything that looks "cute". Hate to say it, but if it's cute enough to wear without a shirt on, it's not capable of the hard work you're wanting it to do. Save cute for the shirt that goes over top.

4.) You want thick, industrial straps with lots of hooks, "encapsulating" or individual cups for separation (chafing sucks!), and as little elastic as you can get. Enough give to get into it (barely), and breathe. Anymore, and the tatas will take advantage of it.

5.) I then take a needle and thread and stitch over the strap adjustments so they won't move - ever. I do this in all my bras - that adjustment doesn't really move at all for me, it's not like I have "high boob" and "low boob" outfits, or days when my boobs sit naturally in different places.

6) your boob size may change less than you think. Some people slim down and lose it in their chest - when I was 164, I was a 34D. When I was 125, I was a 34D. I'd love to lose a little (and thus be able to use the cheaper, cuter bras), but they seem semi-permanent for me. YMMV, just thought I'd bring it up.

Good luck!!
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Look on Amazon, to my surprise they sell bra's on there.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Doubling up on a sports bra has never worked for me. I keep going back to Champion high impact sport bras. Been wearing them since junior high. I was a cheerleader in school. (Not a pompom shaker.) It was very high impact, so lots of jumping, running, flipping, stretching, weightlifting, tossing & catching of people, etc. Practices were 3 hours long 5 days a week. My girls always stayed put. I'm a 32DDD, so exercising is painful if my chest moves around. I feel like I've tried every sports bra available in the U.S. and have ordered from overseas. Lots of money spent on trial and error. Bought my last set at Sears (surprisingly) on sale for 14.99 each last year. The key is to definitely buy smaller, not necessarily more expensive. My sport bras are 34D. They should be very snug at first. The band will stretch. If you feel like it's too snug for you to exercise in, try washing it in warm water and stretching it around something slightly larger to dry. It should help. The cups on the bra should hardly stretch at all. Also look at sport bras with wider shoulder straps. Don't buy for looks. Mine are totally boring (solid colors), but they mean business!

If all else fails, duck tape over some sports bra works. Though, it's really not a long term solution. I've only done it in emergencies.

Best of luck hunting!
  • gaylaworrell
    Options
    I will third the call for Enell! I got two a few months ago and now wear them as everyday bras not just for workouts. They took a bit getting used to, as did the price, but now I can't imagine anything else.

There are a lot of different kinds of sports bras so it's really important that you find the style that works for you. I like compression rather than encapsulation and the Enell does that very well. Read the reviews on Amazon and see if it sounds like something that will work for you. It's worth the money.

After about three days of wearing it all the time, I realized that for the first time since grade school, I wasn't walking around slumped over trying to hide. It's a nice feeling.
    For heavy activity, you can't beat Enell. Maybe not cheap, but trust me, your girls will not move while jumping up and down! and they last forever.

Agree 1000000% with this. I play hockey, run and CrossFit. enell is well well wellllllllll worth the investment. I think I started buying them well over 5-6 years ago and only have had to purchase like 4-5 of them tops. They get looser as you do more stuff and wash them, so I have a newer super tight one for when I know I'm running or CrossFit and use the slightly older ones for hockey since it's not as high impact but still need to keep them under wraps lol.
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Torrid? They carry bras, I think, 38D and above, they carry A, B, and C, but you have to measurement of 38 or above. This is for regular bras, not sure if they carry sports bras, I would assume so, though.
    I've been on their site all morning and nothing =( it is my favorite place for clothes but that's where I got measured and they didn't have anything in store or online.
  • BrightonChick
    BrightonChick Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Im am also gifted with having a large bust and I have been using 'Shock Absorber' for years. I'm not sure if you get them over in the US, but certainly here in the UK they are found in most sports shops and department stores (Debenhams, John Lewes).

They are definitely on Amazon too...I'd recommend them. No need to 'triple bra up' as they don't move an inch...even when jumping around like an idiot! :)
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Victoria secret has sports bras for about $30 bucks.. TOTALLY WORTH IT!!

I love mine
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I double up. I wear 2 sports bras for extra support (and I think it helps save their elasticity a little).
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've had lots and lots of sports bras over the years, from the crappy walmart kind to Lululemon to everything in between. I run from a C to a D depending on my weight. And I ride horses. Sitting trot is the ultimate enemy to boobies. As are show shirts.

Honestly my preferred method is to wear a tight sports bra (I usually get smalls even though I am supposedly in the medium to large category) under a tank top that has a built in bra. It's a little comfier than doubling up but more supportive than the one bra alone. I haven't tried every single brand mentioned but I'm fairly convinced there is no end all be all sports bra out there.

My favorite though is one of my thicker Nike ones that I've had for a long time. It gets the job done (mostly) without making me look like a 12 year old boy-man-girl with a strange growth. But I've had other Nikes that I didn't really like so again, no end-all-be-all.