what exercise to do to burn 500 calories

Options

Replies

• lika50
    lika50 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    50 or so minutes of Tae Bo should do the trick...
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If there's somewhere in your community where you can go swimming this time of year, I forget how much an hour of swimming burns, but it's up there. Same for biking (real biking, not on a machine). Good luck!
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA!!!!! I burn 900ish every time!!
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I burn about 500 in 45 mins of biking/stationary bike
  • Sunarian
    Sunarian Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Database shows moderate jumping rope for 35 minutes is about 500 cal depending on your weight. That's about the most efficient burn I've found : )
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Im doing this challenge and need to lose 500-1000. what exericeses do i do to get this kind of burn, without spending the whole day at the gym?

I get a 500 calorie burn from an hour of aquatic exercise. (Of course, the harder you work, the more your burn since it increases the water's resistance the faster you go.) Judging by the fatigue that I feel (and the hunger afterward) I'm sure that I get a better burn from regular Aquacize than I do from my joint disability class. The joint disability class is older people and the pace is slower than regular Aquacize. The bigger you are, the more water resistance you have, so again, you burn more. As I slim down, I find that I have to go faster to get the same effect that I had initially when I was fatter.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    About 680 here for Zumba. So much more fun for me than trodding along on a treadmill. (Although I do that as well....) :laugh:
  • glassxxballerina
    Options
    INSANITY.

Now this is based on my stats (5'9/24/160) and my heart rate monitor but I burned almost 800 calories doing Max Interval Circuit this weekend. It's 60 minutes of pure sweaty hell.

Even with some of the shorter 30-minute workouts, I burn around 350 calories, depending on which one it is.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I burn over 500 doing 55 minutes of extreme intervals
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Database shows moderate jumping rope for 35 minutes is about 500 cal depending on your weight. That's about the most efficient burn I've found : )

The only problem is that if she is very big, her joints will not be able to handle the pounding. I have heard of people jumping on a trampoline and getting a similar workout.
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    INSANITY.

Now this is based on my stats (5'9/24/160) and my heart rate monitor but I burned almost 800 calories doing Max Interval Circuit this weekend. It's 60 minutes of pure sweaty hell.

Even with some of the shorter 30-minute workouts, I burn around 350 calories, depending on which one it is.

Yep, Insanity burns a lot in a short amount of time. Swimming laps burns a lot also.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Walk or run 5-6 miles. I run 7 miles 5 days a week in 65 min. If you can't run then you can still burn cals by walking 5-6 miles ,but it will just take more time.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I've heard that purposeful exercise burns calories. I don't have any peer-reviewed studies to back this up though.

hahaha yes.
  • gmandolyn
    Options
    You might try this website: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm . You put in your age/height/weight and how many calories you want to burn, and it spits out a whole list of activities you could do and how long you would need to do them. I've been using it and it's really helpful when I have a specific target range and am bored with my current routine.
  • smccully88
    smccully88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba and Spinning in both of these I burn at least 500 calories in an hour class!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Muay Thai !!!!
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It depends on your height and weight--but looks like you have some really good suggestions here! I am doing Insanity and always get a good calorie burn...a 4 mile jog would get me 500 calories as well. :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Run for an hour...depending on speed you can burn about 500+
    Zumba...you burn a lot in an hour
    P90X Plyometrics DVD
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I burn the most calories running outside according to my HRM. A 40 minute run would burn 500 calories for me.
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Beachbody's Insanity. 500 to 1000 calories in 40 to 60 minutes.