$40.00 a month (im serious)

Options

Replies

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    $40 - $50 / month??? Damn....thats my cost for about 5 days worth.
  • stephanie40403
    stephanie40403 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    emeals dot com

check out that site.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Hey, dude. I'm on a pretty tight budget, too. Target these:

-Eggs
    -Potatoes
    -Bananas
    -Rice
    -Offal

These are dirt cheap and can be your main staples - a good mix of fats/carbs/protein in all of them. The remainder of your budget can be spent of other stuff, ie, veggies, fruit, chocolate, whatever.
    Offal is organ meat, and tastes like steak and normal meat except is much, much cheaper. Hell, if you have a meat grinder, you can make nachos with offal - won't even know you're eating heart and liver. Put upon top of oven-baked potatoes and sprinkle on some cheese and bam, you're in business.

This is a good base line, though I have no idea what Offal is.

Some other suggestions:

Oatmeal
    A bag of frozen, skinless chicken breast (cook it in the crock pot, shred it, portion it, and freeze it) - $7 a bag and it could last you all month
    Low-sodium canned tuna
    Cabbage can be cheap (again cook it, portion it, freeze it)
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Here's a serious answer.

Turkey Dogs are a dollar for a pack of 10. They have a good amount of fat and protein. Eat 2 dogs 4x a day as small meals. You'd need about 240 dogs a month which would be $24.00

Buy 3 large tubs of oats ($9.00). This will be your breakfast and your source of carbs and fiber. This can also be a snack.

Spend the last $7.00 on bananas.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how anyone could stay fed for $40 a month unless there was a food bank involved, but if you google "How to eat for $10 a week" there are lots of websites so i guess it can be done.

Actually, a food bank is not a bad idea. You can use this to supplement your budget, and pay it forward when you are able. Don't be ashamed about it.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    too bad your not a woman order water say your not hungry and eat off everyones plate
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I cook in bulk (I do have a significant other) but I prep all of my food for lunches once every three months and put them in the deep freeze. Usually each of my lunches turns out to be between $2.60-$3.00 a meal. You could do this for dinners as well. If you could make a bunch of meals let's say at $3 for lunch $3 for din din and $3-$4 for b-fasy (I've made bulk egg bakes and frozen them).

I LOVE to cook so cooking for just one or two is not my style. (My mom used to run a catering business when I was young) Cooking for a catering/bulk is WAY WAY Cheeper than doing it one meal at a time.

By the end of the three months I'm ready for a change. The other cool thing is with MFP you can enter all of your ingredients and make a recipe and divide that by the # of your containers.

I've done spaghetti with brown rice noodles or rice
    High protein low carb meatloaf with carrots and parsnips
    Sweet Potato Kale Egg Bake - YUMMY!
    Chicken/Broc/Mushroom

You got this buddy you can do this and be healthy all at the same time. A tiny investment for approx. 100 Containers and you're good to go (you can find a pack of $10 for a $1 at a dollar store).

I have $11 a week for food a few years ago and I was able to get extremely creative as well as empowered that I could live and sustain myself on that. Have fun with it, you'll do just fine!
  • CassandraChloeJ
    CassandraChloeJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I struggle with spending too. Growing your own works as well as community gardens if you have those available in your area. I also like tubs of oats and eggs. Anything in bulk is always a bonus.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I didn't price out this list, but I'm fairly sure you could get everything on it for about forty:

--Granola, 2-4 boxes (high in protein, small portion size so each box will last you at least a week)
    --Rice, 5 lb. bag
    --Canned tuna, 10 cans
    --Baby carrots, 4 bags
    --Eggs, 2 dozen
    --Bananas, 1 large bunch
    --Broccoli, 1 package / 2-3 large heads
    --Cucumbers / Squashes / Zucchinis, 1-2 of each
    --Fresh garlic, ginger, cilantro, green onion (1 bulb/ chunk/ bunch each)
    --Mustard, 1 bottle

And sometimes, in summer, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries will be on sale for $1/pint or $2/quart. I look forward to those sales every year <3

Best of luck to you!
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Some of the things I buy regularly but, have reduced but, has reduced my grocery bill a lot!

dried beans (any variety) you can boil them and freeze them to use in dishes later especially if you are short on meat
    Bag of rice
    tilapia (bag of frozen is $3.20 each at Fred Meyer / Kroger grocery stores)
    squash (acorn and spaghetti are my favvs and fllling), zuchini, brussel spouts, green onion (if you can stand them much mellower than regular onions) egg plant, spinach, broccoli, etc...eat what is in season if you can its cheaper
    potato
    Bag of frozen chicken (many times 6.99 on sale) or get a whole chicken on sale. Boil it with carrots and celery, strain and refrigerate the chincke broth to cook with later. shred the boiled chicken should last a few days.
    Lemon or lime for your water
    find a place you can get cheap fresh fruit (if you neighbor has a fruit tree?). When I lived in CA people would sell their backyard fruits cheap on the street corner
    ground turkey or chicken (shop around) this would be a splurge item
    18 pack of eggs
    Things to accumulate:
    Braggs amino acid (liquid) substitute for soy sauce-very yummy if you like asian dishes or just on your rice and veggies
    Cumin, garlic powder, ginger(raw or powder) helps give your dishes some flavor
    EVOO (if you can get a small bottle) you might have to just work on accumulating some of the spices etc. But it will really add flavor to your dishes.

If you have any asian/ethinic markets sometimes you can get great deals on seafood and veggies. Shop smart and you can really stretch those $$$..the beans are a real life saver and can bulk up your veggies.

I had to feed a family of 4 for several years on 120.00 a month for groceries it was tight but, we did it. Buy things that you can cook once and make multiple recipes from. If it is only you eating make up something big and freeze leftovers or eat it all week long. I like to freeze in the big freezer baggies (2.00/box) and then you have something quick later. Best of luck you can do this!
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • CaroleC2B
    CaroleC2B Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you have produce stands/stores or road side stands in your area you may talk to them. Ours has left over produce nearing expiration.for really cheap or for free. Bread stores sell all kinds of bakery items at deep discount and can be frozen. If you have 99 cent only stores, they sell all kinds of stuff, but do not take coupons. If you are able to bake it is very inexpensive to bake your own breads, etc. Also check with local churches, many have a food pantry and are often open to the local community. I truley wish you thevery best and hope things get better very soon.
    Sincerely Carole
  • mabernier
    mabernier Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You rock for a practical and sarcasm free answer!!!!
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    For later
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Sorry.. I spend that much a week on veggies and bread..

I guess if you hit the dollar store you might manange?
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lol! Impossible!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    dried beans, dried rice, dried lentils, potatoes.

and make sure you hit up the food bank every week.
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Some of the things I buy regularly but, have reduced but, has reduced my grocery bill a lot!

dried beans (any variety) you can boil them and freeze them to use in dishes later especially if you are short on meat
    Bag of rice
    tilapia (bag of frozen is $3.20 each at Fred Meyer / Kroger grocery stores)
    squash (acorn and spaghetti are my favvs and fllling), zuchini, brussel spouts, green onion (if you can stand them much mellower than regular onions) egg plant, spinach, broccoli, etc...eat what is in season if you can its cheaper
    potato
    Bag of frozen chicken (many times 6.99 on sale) or get a whole chicken on sale. Boil it with carrots and celery, strain and refrigerate the chincke broth to cook with later. shred the boiled chicken should last a few days.
    Lemon or lime for your water
    find a place you can get cheap fresh fruit (if you neighbor has a fruit tree?). When I lived in CA people would sell their backyard fruits cheap on the street corner
    ground turkey or chicken (shop around) this would be a splurge item
    18 pack of eggs
    Things to accumulate:
    Braggs amino acid (liquid) substitute for soy sauce-very yummy if you like asian dishes or just on your rice and veggies
    Cumin, garlic powder, ginger(raw or powder) helps give your dishes some flavor
    EVOO (if you can get a small bottle) you might have to just work on accumulating some of the spices etc. But it will really add flavor to your dishes.

If you have any asian/ethinic markets sometimes you can get great deals on seafood and veggies. Shop smart and you can really stretch those $$$..the beans are a real life saver and can bulk up your veggies.

I had to feed a family of 4 for several years on 120.00 a month for groceries it was tight but, we did it. Buy things that you can cook once and make multiple recipes from. If it is only you eating make up something big and freeze leftovers or eat it all week long. I like to freeze in the big freezer baggies (2.00/box) and then you have something quick later. Best of luck you can do this!

everything she said, but skip the chicken and buy tofu way healthier away cheaper. and go apply for food stamps. and then get online ans learn how to budget.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Chicken/ Whey for protein
    Rice- 10lb is like 10$
    Olive oil- 5$

There ya go.