The Extraordinary Science of Junk Food

Options

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    That was fascinating! Thanks for sharing that article.

It really makes me want to try as hard as I can to give up my prepackaged type foods. And by low sodium of as many things as I can.

Then you are buying the marketing. If they lower sodium, they are increasing fat and sugar. If they lower fat, they are increasing salt and sugar.

Eat food as close to the way nature created it as possible. I'm not saying don't ever splurge, but their are a lot of people who eat processed food almost exclusively.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    A New York Times article on why food companies are evil? I'm shocked! Of course, any excuse someone wants to use for lacking self control is fine with me. It's their life.

Food conglomerates are purposely addicting people to substances that will destroy their health. Why should we blame their victims? Shouldn't we blame drug peddlers who set out to addict children to street drugs? The food processors are taking advantage of the ignorance of people who eat their crap. That is why we need to help people to understand the deadly nature of junk food.

Sure. Keep playing victim and encouraging others to do the same. Those of us leading healthy lives will continue to look on in utter amazement at the self delusion.

I no longer have a problem and I have lost 51 pounds. But that doesn't stop me from being sympathetic to others caught in the junk food trap.
  • diggswood
    diggswood Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I read this article and was a little startled. Perhaps I should have known food companies were aggressively creating very unhealthy products but I was surprised at the aggressive push to create very unhealthy junky foods for children.

The article made me very sad but I am glad I read it. As a mom, I need to continue to be vigilant of the foods my children get.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    A New York Times article on why food companies are evil? I'm shocked! Of course, any excuse someone wants to use for lacking self control is fine with me. It's their life.

Food conglomerates are purposely addicting people to substances that will destroy their health. Why should we blame their victims? Shouldn't we blame drug peddlers who set out to addict children to street drugs? The food processors are taking advantage of the ignorance of people who eat their crap. That is why we need to help people to understand the deadly nature of junk food.

Sure. Keep playing victim and encouraging others to do the same. Those of us leading healthy lives will continue to look on in utter amazement at the self delusion.

I think that companies should be forced to be more transparent about the consequences of eating their products, but I also think the term addictive is bandied around too much.

Addiction comes from doing something that changes you neurologically and/or physically that you then desire to happen again so you repeat the pattern of behaviour. By this definition exercise is also addictive as it releases endorphins and will physically change your body.

Nearly all food is addictive not just food that is bad for you. The term needs to be used more carefully and less as an excuse for people taking responsibility for their actions.
  • aleesh_
    aleesh_ Posts: 137 Member
    Options

The fact that said food companies aren't literally putting a gun to my head to eat their products doesn't negate the ethical concerns. It's more complex than blaming either the companies or the consumers.

Are you saying that perhaps you would like to see people better educated about these products so they can make better/healthier decisions?! :noway: Stop playing victim! :explode: I hope you enjoy getting laughed at by those superior beings who are amazed that others want to share information about unhealthy choices. :wink:

LMAO seriously! :laugh:
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    That was fascinating! Thanks for sharing that article.

It really makes me want to try as hard as I can to give up my prepackaged type foods. And by low sodium of as many things as I can.

Then you are buying the marketing. If they lower sodium, they are increasing fat and sugar. If they lower fat, they are increasing salt and sugar.

Eat food as close to the way nature created it as possible. I'm not saying don't ever splurge, but their are a lot of people who eat processed food almost exclusively.

And you somehow believe that the term 'whole food' is not a marketing gimmick? I'm not saying the advice is bad, but people who sell 'whole foods' are really the same people who sell the junk food, they just have a different audience and marketing strategies.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

We can only be victims if we accept it. I for one isn't going to blame junk food for being fat. I did this to my self and I am taking action to rectify it.

I grew up being addicted to sugar and wheat. Does everyone get addicted? No--no more than others get addicted to street drugs or alcohol. But enough do that we need to take a close hard look at how we can educate children to avoid the addictive traps (and there are MANY). I am no longer addicted and I have been able to lose 51 pounds more or less effortlessly, once I learned the truth about sugar and its role in the promotion of food addiction. Here is an article that some of you may find interesting about the role of sugar (and specifically the fructose portion of it--sucrose is 50% fructose) that is instrumental in food addiction: http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/docs/johnson-359fructoseindex.pdf

p.s. By the way, this paper was among a number of other papers given at the Food Addiction Summit that pointed to sugar and simple carbs as a major part of the food addiction picture.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What about websites and games that design them so people want to keep coming back to them, wasting time that could be spent more productively.
    Or, of course publications which put the appropriate 'spin' on graphics and media to keep people coming back?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

We can only be victims if we accept it. I for one isn't going to blame junk food for being fat. I did this to my self and I am taking action to rectify it.

I grew up being addicted to sugar and wheat. Does everyone get addicted? No--no more than others get addicted to street drugs or alcohol. But enough do that we need to take a close hard look at how we can educate children to avoid the addictive traps (and there are MANY). I am no longer addicted and I have been able to lose 51 pounds more or less effortlessly, once I learned the truth about sugar and its role in the promotion of food addiction. Here is an article that some of you may find interesting about the role of sugar (and specifically the fructose portion of it--sucrose is 50% fructose) that is instrumental in food addiction: http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/docs/johnson-359fructoseindex.pdf

I see fewer alcoholics raging against alcohol than I see supposed "sugar addicts" railing again sugar and "junk food." It's an excuse pure and simple. Either one takes responsibility for his/her own life or not. Blaming others is a symptom of a lack of self control.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I see fewer alcoholics raging against alcohol than I see supposed "sugar addicts" railing again sugar and "junk food." It's an excuse pure and simple. Either one takes responsibility for his/her own life or not. Blaming others is a symptom of a lack of self control.

It is much easier to avoid alcohol than it is to avoid junk food. Everyone must eat to live---no one needs to drink alcohol to live. You missed my point. I am not longer addicted to sugar and wheat because I simply don't eat them--just like an alcoholic understands that he can't "drink in moderation". I am free of all inclination to eat them. And I have NO problem staying within my calorie allotment. It is a simple matter of avoiding sugar and wheat for me.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

It is much easier to avoid alcohol than it is to avoid junk food. Everyone must eat to live---no one needs to drink alcohol to live. You missed my point. I am not longer addicted to sugar and wheat because I simply don't eat them--just like an alcoholic understands that he can't "drink in moderation". I am free of all inclination to eat them. And I have NO problem staying within my calorie allotment. It is a simple matter of avoiding sugar and wheat for me.

If you are free of all inclination to eat sugar and wheat as you say, then that seems to fly in the face of your addiction argument.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Perhaps you should read the article before dissing the source. Just an idea.

I did. All the more reason to be "dissing the source" of this particular article.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

If you are free of all inclination to eat sugar and wheat as you say, then that seems to fly in the face of your addiction argument.

It's not my argument---there are medical researchers who think that way too---thus the Food Addiction Summit that I cited. I am free of an inclination to eat sugar and wheat in the same way that alcoholics are disinclined to drink alcoholic beverages--their lives are just a lot simpler if they avoid it, so they don't even go there, rather than relying on "self-discipline" once they are there.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

It's not my argument---there are medical researchers who think that way too---thus the Food Addiction Summit that I cited. I am free of an inclination to eat sugar and wheat in the same way that alcoholics are disinclined to drink alcoholic beverages--their lives are just a lot simpler if they avoid it, so they don't even go there, rather than relying on "self-discipline" once they are there.

The alcoholics I've known never completely lost the desire for alcohol, and I know many smokers who have quit for a decade or more and still have the craving. They stay away from their addiction through hard work and by exercising something called self control. I say again, your claim to be free of all inclination to eat sugar and wheat is clearly at odds with your addiction argument.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...The alcoholics I've known never completely lost the desire for alcohol, and I know many smokers who have quit for a decade or more and still have the craving. They stay away from their addiction through hard work and by exercising called self control. I say again, your claim to be free of all inclination to eat sugar and wheat is clearly at odds with your addiction argument...."

Okay, professor, you tell me (and the docs) what you see happening here. I didn't say that I didn't sometimes consider returning to my old eating habits---I just said that I don't do so, and it is because I don't want to. Yes, I am exercising self-control, just like every other former addict. Do I ever get a twinge when a see a dessert table? Of course. Am I inclined to partake? NO.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Read it a few days ago. It's a good article with a lot of great info and insights.

Of course, I still eat what most people would call "junk food" as long as it fits my macros. See no compelling reason to change. The thrust of the article is that these companies make their food so yummy and desirable that it makes people eat too much. If you don't eat too much there's not much to worry about.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    bump for later reading!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    didnt read the article but sure why not they need to pay their bills too

I suppose you think it's okay for cigarette companies to add chemicals to their products to increase the likelihood that a user would become highly addicted. After all, they need to pay their bills too.

It was a great article. All companies have social responsibility.
  • Mandigormas
    Options
    Bump
  • vashnic
    Options
    Very interesting. :) I do feel that food companies need to be more upfront about the contents of their foods. That example from Finland was great--

"Every grocery item that was heavy in salt would come to be marked prominently with the warning “High Salt Content.” By 2007, Finland’s per capita consumption of salt had dropped by a third, and this shift — along with improved medical care — was accompanied by a 75 percent to 80 percent decline in the number of deaths from strokes and heart disease."

--and I think a nice balance to allow salty (and tasty!) food while helping educate consumers on the ridiculous levels of sodium.