BINGE EATING!!

Options
I have a seriouse problem with binge eating its always affected my life. If i cheat and have a slice of toast of a biscuit I feel i have failed and then spend the rest of the day/night eating and eating until i feel sick. There are so many places for anorexia, bulimia etc asnd not as much for people struggling with binge eating. just wondered if anyone had stories we should share and tips? :)

Replies

• alleshiam
    alleshiam Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. If I have one little screw up with food in my day, I'll just screw the rest of the day up too. I'll drink pop, take two portions of something instead of just one, and snack all the time. It's really hard and sometimes I don't even know myself why i do it. :/
  • daisygettinghealthy
    Options
    I have read lots of tips like brushing your teeth after dinner so food wont taste nice, but if im gonna eat it doesnt matter if my mouth is minty or not...
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    you need to eat balanced meals , make sure u getting in those calories and u are satisfied all day . Allow for cheat meals "planned cheat meals" and if u slip up just forget about it , we only human.
  • daisygettinghealthy
    Options
    Thanks, i find it helps to plan your meals for the day, the night before so i know what im eating and when im eating it.
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Funny, I have just about an hour ago posted something similar! But my question was to try find out the cause of my binge eating.

Someone sent me this link, although it's for the UK. Not sure where you are in the world, but have a read anyway. Might be relevent to you.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Binge-eating/Pages/Introduction.aspx
  • EmLikesToWin
    Options
    I used to (sometimes still) do a lot of emotional and binge eating. So I understand where you're coming from. I was watching one of those extreme makeover weightloss shows and saw that this is now a recognised and treatable addiction. Food addiction is apparently on par with drug addiction. Who knew? I guess the thing is, why do you binge? Why do you eat too much when you have a goal? Why do you eat until you feel sick? What do you get out of it? Ask and answer these question of yourself and you may just have an answer to your problem. Sometimes the most uncomfortable actions yield the greatest rewards. Sit down with a good friend and have an honest chat.

Check out: www.oa.org
  • daisygettinghealthy
    Options
    I am an emotional eater, a happy eater a sad eater, I eat with every emotion however I am starting to break cycle of binge eating when happy, because Im mostly happy about weight loss but it is whenever I am upset. I have bad day at work=binge, school=binge, fall out with friends=binge. why is it that as soon as you put some unhealthy into your mouth it triggers such a good comforting feeling. however what i need to rememeber is how i feel ten minutes later, horrible, bloated, more upset, lethargic. its not worth it.

eat to live NOT live to eat
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater too.
    "Ooo well done, that's great. let's treat ourselves"
    "Oh no thats awful, lets have a comfort pizza"
    "I'm so nervous, where did that pack of bisuits go and why am I holding the wrapper?"

I'm quite lucky it just hit me one day, that it doesn't help. If you always reach for the same things maybe put sticky notes on saying will this fix things? or have an apple. Ok we all know an apple tastes nothing like chocolate but worth a try.

If you slip up just think ok I'm over today, lets see if I can shave them off the other days to have a good week. I start each day a fresh and try not to dwell on my bad days. I actually feel really proud of myself when I'm on or under my goal
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is a difficult thing to break. I am just like you, I can binge when I'm happy, sad, or bored.

I have improved my binge eating a lot over the last year and now only slip up occasionally, and I firmly believe that there is no magic cure, you just need to want to lose the weight more than you want to eat.

You can help yourself along the way though. Try eating plenty of protein and fats to keep yourself full, and don't cut out everything that you love, just make an allowance for it in your calories.
  • daisygettinghealthy
    Options
    i also believe that if i wake up in morning and want a bag of crisps (i am a carb girl) then i should just have them at lunch because what ive found now is that if i deprive myself of those crisps i will crave them so much that i will binge and eat five bags, then toast, then biscuits, sandwhiches,, yuk whatever so in long run one bag of crisps would have been alot better.
  • mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am overtaken by uncontrollable binges sometimes. I thought I had a handle on them but last night it happened again for the first time this year and I felt (and still do feel) pretty crappy about it. It's really hard trying to explain to someone that binging is not necessarily the same as treating. When I really want a treat, I'll go ahead and have one and won't feel guilty about it but when I binge it's like something takes over, I'm not in control, and I can't stop even if I don't want any more or feel sick.

I need to work on it and I don't know what causes it but I just wanted you to know you're not alone.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Mostly I have things under control, but it's true that if you slip up it makes the whole thing go haywire. My danger point is when my husband goes off to football. The minute he goes out of the house I'm drawn to the fridge and start nibbling. It usually starts with bits of cheese and I am getting better at controlling it, but it is an emotional thing I'm sure. Perhaps I could make sure I have lots of healthy nibbles in the house to see me through the danger time. I always plan a delicious healthy lunch and that helps in the morning, but once I have eaten the lunch something keeps driving me back to the fridge for a top up. Still,it's not the end of the world as I am still losing overall, but it's annoying to see how fragile my willpower is!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am strange because I tend to binge on mostly healthy food. It took me a while to shift but I have officially shifted for good. At least I have fixed the foods I crave. Rice is my downfall but I have changed my shift to brown rice instead and I do crave chocolate sometimes but it is only the dark kind. I looove veggies and fruits and now and when hungry, I pick up a banana, orange or apple, or all 3 lol and that usually satisfies my sweet tooth. I have a very large appetite (I eat more than my husband most of the time). It is my biggest problem so I changed the foods I craved and went to. The biggest thing I gave up was gluten. On a bad day I will make gluten free pancakes with gluten free flour, otherwise I stick to my fruits and veggies. I do believe the calories from those are somehow different. So I do allow myself unlimited fruits and veggies, especially when I am ravenously hungry. Juicing helps me a lot too. At least then, I am getting all the great vitamins and minerals from my food. Maybe if you tried changing the foods you craved, it could help you too. Portions is a problem for me but fruits and veggies give me so much energy and satisfy like nothing else does.
  • daisygettinghealthy
    Options
    this is so helpful! thankyou everyone. its just little changes that makes big differences. the other thing i struggle at is the concept of going for a run or walk after a binge. i mean, ive ruined it so i may aswell ruin it proper and do nothing. however does anyone know if it helps by doing excersize like if it is beneficial to weight loss?
  • doublemum
    Options
    I can identify exactly with what you're saying. What is helping me at the moment is developing an attitude of mindfulness where I really think about my actions and make conscious decisions. I'm trying not to be scared of hunger, and only eating when I'm hungry. When I eat I'm trying not to do anything else, ie. I don't play on the computer, I don't watch TV, I concentrate on the food and I chew it properly. I definitely have a way to go on that aspect but I'm trying. If I want a treat I build it into my calorie intake. I'm trying to look at calories over the week rather than the day. I'm trying to make every calorie count so that I'm eating natural food that will fill me up. All small steps perhaps but it seems to be changing my attitude towards food which can only be good.
    I'm also cultivating the attitude that what's done is done, I can't uneat something, but I can get right back on it.
  • narelleconstable
    Options
    i am with you too! I have only been on this site for a couple of days, and I am amazed to find so many people who share the same issues - it really is great to feel a little bit "normal" or at the very least that the craziness is shared!!! I find myself going to the fridge or cupboard when I have a moment of peace which then turns into a crazy feast that i cannot stop. One thing that has helped is as I eat, I log stuff onto this site in my food diary - I tell myself I can eat whatever I want, but I have to record it in here....... it did stop me the other day... might be worth a try!
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    this is so helpful! thankyou everyone. its just little changes that makes big differences. the other thing i struggle at is the concept of going for a run or walk after a binge. i mean, ive ruined it so i may aswell ruin it proper and do nothing. however does anyone know if it helps by doing excersize like if it is beneficial to weight loss?

I feel it helps to exercise. I have always had a problem binging. Now if I do it, I try to wait an hour and get a good burn in. This isn't justified, but, I think it's helping me to turn away from binging because it's so hard to work the cals off. It is important to log all of it. I know how much this can be but, feel it helps to look back and see why. I know emotions...my problem too. Seeing it in writing opens eyes. My doc wanted me to go on anti depressants to calm down a bit. I tend yo want to eat when I am aggrivated/stressed. When I am alone in house...it can be really bad. Try not to bring trigger food in house. I know this is hard too...especially, when you live with kids and husband (lol). You could always talk to a friend. Therapy even from a friend helps. Friend me if you want. This isn't something made up and people need to understand it's similar to being an alcoholic and o swear it's hereditary. Hood luck, Hon. :)
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Sorry about all typos up there!
  • xxxemaxxx
    xxxemaxxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a seriouse problem with binge eating its always affected my life. If i cheat and have a slice of toast of a biscuit I feel i have failed and then spend the rest of the day/night eating and eating until i feel sick. There are so many places for anorexia, bulimia etc asnd not as much for people struggling with binge eating. just wondered if anyone had stories we should share and tips? :)

I am exactly the same! if i eat anything 'bad', i end up ruining the whole day and sayin il 'eat better tomorrow' :(