Protein options

Options
Looking for snack protein options to up my protein intake. I know you can make shakes and go buy hard boiled eggs but was wondering if there are other options.

Working in nyc midtown, there are plenty of places here to get something but im trying to maximize the intake.

Replies

• nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    idk...but u r so lucky to live in NYC ;) ahhh that was my dream. :sad:
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'd like input as well, seeing as how my 1.5 scoops of muscle milk protein powder mixed in water (225 calories. I'd mix it in soy milk but it would go bad during my gym workout) never is enough to keep my hunger at bay after a workout, and i have an hour and 20 minute commute ahead of me. So I end up being so hungry that when I do get home, I overeat >_<

Also, if possible, I'd oike to avoid snacks with peanut butter. I love it so much but it's a trigger food and i have a hard time controlling myself with it. To those who would suggest portioning it out into baggies---I've tried...but that takes time AND i just end up eating a good deal out of the jar while portioning it out anyways!
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    bump
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    bump

anyone else have protein options they can think of...
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Fish.....what about sushi?
  • BrainsOnGains
    BrainsOnGains Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Tuna, protein bars..
  • Shelialouise66
    Options
    I spread out thin sliced pastrami and put cream cheese in it, then roll them up. I make a container full, then I have an easy snack
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky or Vegan Dream jerky if you wanna mix it up.
  • megd726
    Options
    I have a cup of cottage cheese with 4oz of cucumber and 5oz of grape tomatoes. It's 210 calories and 33g of protein. I keep it in a lunch bag with a couple of ice packs and it keeps from 6am until 3pm without an issue. Greek yogurt is another one that is fairly high in protein. Outside of that, nuts have some protein (not as much as the above options though).
  • sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of Tuna. Mixing with a little soft cheese and sweetcorn is a good snack to have.

Also, I wrap deli meat slices - such as ham, chicken, turkey etc around soft cheese and 3/4 of these is a nice little snack.

Chicken breasts are nice to cook in batches and keep cold. I'll just dip in hummous, or eat on it's own!

These are probably all weird sounding, but are good - low carb snacks that help me raise my daily protein :smile:
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My favorite sources of protein are:

Mackerel / Salmon (or any oily fish) cooked the night before (or store bought) If doing it yourself, add chillis and garlic to the cooking oil

Cottage cheese salad with loads of raw green veg

Quinoa and veg stirfry with added natural yoghurt or creme freche

Baked potato with baked beans

Tofu and green beans with wholegrain rice

Homemade fish-pie (tuna, salmon and haddock) green veg and mashed potato on top make with milk and butter

Full egg omlette eaten hot or cold with loads of veg, garlic and ginger for taste

Nuts and seeds such as Pumpkin and Almonds

Peanut butter (sugar free)

Wholewheat pasta and breads have more protein than others

Avocados
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt with protein powder mixed in.

I buy the 80 cal cups of Dannon Oikos plain - it has 15g of protein. I then take 1/2 scoop of chocolate Body Fortress and put it in a bowl. I add a small amount of water to it to make a slurry (you can't mix it directly into the yogurt or it will be gritty). Then I stir in the yogurt. Voila! 28g of protein for 150 calories. And it's pretty tasty too. You can mix in some fresh fruit or whipped cream or something like that if you want. It's a nice dessert at the end of the day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of greek yogurt (lots of people love it and it's high protein), so I've taken to eating cottage cheese.
  • allie__jane
    Options
    My favorite "quick-fix" protein option is the Babybel Light Cheese -- 50 calories for 6 grams of protein. I love them because they travel really well and can be eaten quickly. If I've got more time, I'm a fan of Greek yogurt. You can find it in 100 cal packaging if you want, though I tend to prefer the flavor of the Fage brand.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I spread out thin sliced pastrami and put cream cheese in it, then roll them up. I make a container full, then I have an easy snack

I do this with proscuitto and Laughing Cow! So good!
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Babybel cheese, nuts, greek yogurt, cottage cheese. I usually have the cheese and either almonds or cashews for a good snack and also snack on Atkins protein bars and shakes.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Jerky, but that's very expensive. Just stick with protein powder. It's very cheap and convenient.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt with protein powder mixed in.

I buy the 80 cal cups of Dannon Oikos plain - it has 15g of protein. I then take 1/2 scoop of chocolate Body Fortress and put it in a bowl. I add a small amount of water to it to make a slurry (you can't mix it directly into the yogurt or it will be gritty). Then I stir in the yogurt. Voila! 28g of protein for 150 calories. And it's pretty tasty too. You can mix in some fresh fruit or whipped cream or something like that if you want. It's a nice dessert at the end of the day.

mmmm.. that sounds tasty!
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    non fat plain greek yogurt! 3/4 cup = 18 g of protein add 1 tbs honey (taste better)
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'd like input as well, seeing as how my 1.5 scoops of muscle milk protein powder mixed in water (225 calories. I'd mix it in soy milk but it would go bad during my gym workout) never is enough to keep my hunger at bay after a workout, and i have an hour and 20 minute commute ahead of me. So I end up being so hungry that when I do get home, I overeat >_<

Also, if possible, I'd oike to avoid snacks with peanut butter. I love it so much but it's a trigger food and i have a hard time controlling myself with it. To those who would suggest portioning it out into baggies---I've tried...but that takes time AND i just end up eating a good deal out of the jar while portioning it out anyways!

Have you tried the single serve peanut butter cups? No chance to overeat because you can just carry one cup at a time so you can't have another even if you wanted to and since they are prepackaged you can't snack while splitting them up! I personally like the Jif-To-Go reduced fat but they make them in several varieties (creamy, crunchy, chocolate, natural).

As for OPs question. Try looking in the supplement section of your local store (Target, Walmart, Kmart). They have many many options for high protein snacks, mostly prepackaged snack bars and drinks. If you are looking for something more "natural" check out this site: http://greatist.com/health/high-protein-snacks-portable. It takes a little more effort to pull this together then the prepackaged stuff but it's also healthier :)