Sweet potato

Options

Replies

• mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    They are SOOO good baked and topped with coconut oil, cinnamon, paprika and a little sea salt. :) Mmmmm
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Love them!! I eat one everyday as my snack!!
  • DeeOnAMission
    DeeOnAMission Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    baked sweet potatoe fries! ....Im including these in tomorrows menu.........mmmm (salivating):love:
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Eat up, they're good for you!

Keep in mind when choosing at grocery store and recording in your food diary that yams and sweet potatoes are not equal in nutritional content:

Yam, raw, 100g = 118 cals, 28 g carbs.

Sweet potato, raw, 100 g = 86 cals, 20 g carbs.

(FWIW, I always choose yams, because I love them - and record them as such since their calories for an average size one are significantly higher. :smile: )

Edit to add that white potatoes aren't the enemy either, sweet potato trumps them for vitamin A, but a russet potato wins vitamin C.

Russet potato, flesh and skin, raw 100g = 79 cals, 18 g carbs.
  • nurse_ratty
    nurse_ratty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes contain carotenoids (think thats spelt right) that appear to help stabilize blood sugar levels and lower insulin resistance, making cells more responsive to insulin. This can ultimately help with your metabolism.
    bulk to keep your tummy full for hours. Yet its nutritional profile makes the calories worth it, especially since they are fat-free. Its fiber alone is enough to make a sweet potato worth eating. If a beta-carotene contest were held, sweet potatoes would tie carrots for first place. Sweet potatoes are also rich in potassium and vitamin C; a small potato provides almost half the daily allowance.

Nutritional Values for Sweet Potato - Serving Size: 1 potato (3 oz), baked
    Calories 90
    Fat 0 g
    Saturated Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Carbohydrate 21 g
    Protein 2 g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Sodium 36 mg
    Vitamin A 19,218 IU
    Folic Acid 6 micrograms
    Pantothenic Acid 1 mg
    Vitamin B6 <1 mg
    Vitamin C 20 mg
    Vitamin E 1 mg
    Calcium 38 mg
    Manganese 1 mg
    Carotenoids 11,552 mcg
    Potassium 475 mg
    Magnesium 27 mg

loads of info here http://www.livestrong.com/article/2702-facts-health-benefits-sweet-potatoes/

I love sweet potatoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out where all of this carbs are bad for you started. Fruits and vegetables are mostly carbohydrates. They have very little protein and no fat., but you need them. Anyway, sweet potatoes are a starchy vegetable. I am trying to get at least the recommended servings of veggies and fruit in, and sweet potatoes add variety.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Food of the gods and goddesses! I :heart: sweet potatoes! Just had one with my dinner, in fact.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Starch? Veggie? I don't care because they are DELICIOUS!

+1. I love them. During bulking I eat one or two.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Both, and they're a superfood!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Starch, but they have lots of good stuff in them
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ... white potatoes aren't the enemy either, sweet potato trumps them for vitamin A, but a russet potato wins vitamin C.

Russet potato, flesh and skin, raw 100g = 79 cals, 18 g carbs.

WIN! I love my white potatoes! :drinker: Everybody's always hatin' on my healthy carbs! :grumble:
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    They are SOOO good baked and topped with coconut oil, cinnamon, paprika and a little sea salt. :) Mmmmm

I'm gonna have to try this.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    its better'n a regular potato so i dun't care. lol
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share today at superstore I got a sweet potato the size of a football lol mmmhmm going to mash half and make a veggie pot pie and have fries with the other half :) nom nom
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes! I love carbs too. Goes well with my Coke Zero. :drinker:
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Starch? Veggie? I don't care because they are DELICIOUS!

+1. I love them. During bulking I eat one or two.

I eat 2 when i cut
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    sweet potato is good twin of evil carb potato

Again with the "carb is the devil" BS...

Btw: "Just a single 100-calorie sweet potato supplies more than 250 percent of the DV for vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene, the powerful antioxidant. Sweet potatoes are also a good source of vitamin C, potassium, iron, and the two trace minerals manganese and copper" Runners' World
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I see them as carbs.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out where all of this carbs are bad for you started. Fruits and vegetables are mostly carbohydrates. They have very little protein and no fat., but you need them. Anyway, sweet potatoes are a starchy vegetable. I am trying to get at least the recommended servings of veggies and fruit in, and sweet potatoes add variety.

Thank you! Everyone thinks that carbs are just pasta & bread. HELLO! Fruits & Veggies ARE carbs :):):)
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    Options

I think ppl just summarized to include all carbs when, in fact, processed, white carbs are what to watch out for.