Anxiety and depression= Lack of motivation :(

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I also have general and social anxiety problems. It too prevents me from going into public and the gym has always been a death trap. There are still some things I can't do at the gym but honestly, forcing myself to go works. I always feel silly for stressing it when I am done, I always feel great and as I have lost weight or had NSV's the anxiety has improved immensly. I literally just make myself go and I love going so much now that I usually spend between 45mins-90mins working out and losing track of time.

Physical health is a huge part of mental health.
  • sasu27
    sasu27 Posts: 51
    Options
    I have pretty bad depression and anxiety, and the thing that is helping me is eating Paleo. It seems the more nutritious the food I eat it is the happier I feel, which to me only makes sense. I get super depressed when I eat low fat, but eating a high fat diet I'm the happiest I have been in years and steadily losing weight.
  • coreysarahsmoot
    Options
    I had to go back on meds and it's made a big diff. Working out is going to make an even bigger one! I started off doing the 30 day shread at home and though its really hard, saw awesome results in the matter of two weeks! Then I started adding in the gym. I will walk on the treadmill for an hour and an incline at about 4mph. Also will do some weights. I have to say the working out and changing my eating habbits have been the biggest positive to my depression and anxiety. I am not a very good cook, so I do things like Lean Cuise etc to help me stay on track with foods. I am trying to educate myself also about the things I put in my body. Take it one day at a time! You might have to push yourself to do it the first day, but I promise once you do you start NEEDING it. My thoughts changed from food all day long, to when am I getting to the gym and what am I going to do today! BOL!!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Dealing with the same thing, but I'm telling myself things will be better if I lose weight. Honestly, overeating rarely makes me happy -- except for the few minutes I'm actually eating. It's not worth the consequences. You'll feel better, overall, about eating healthy and losing weight. Might as well do something to make yourself feel better rather than worse, right?
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Let's see. Major depressive disorder, dysthemia (long term low grade depression), panic disorder w/ agoraphobia, OCD, social anxiety disorder, some things I'm probably not remembering.

Number one helper for me was getting together with God. But that is a topic I'll leave for private messages if you're interested.

I found that activity, any activity, helped my depression. Motivation doesn't precede activity, activity precedes motivation. I'm not saying it's easy, it's not. But you have to literally force yourself to do something. Anything. If it's something that involves some interaction with people it is better, but I know how hard that is for someone with anxiety and depression.

I still take 4mg of Clonazepam (Klonopin) a day, and I have Xanax available for emergencies. Otherwise, anti-depressants either did nothing, or really bad things, for me. You should still see a doctor and try it though. They do work for many people.

Take it slow. You don't have to beat it today, or tomorrow. You may never beat it entirely. I haven't. I still deal with it regularly. For anxiety, gradual exposure, very slowly, to the things that make you anxious will help. But you have to go slow or you'll just scare yourself and make things worse. For depression, for me anyway, activity.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    This is a great read to start with management of stress/anxiety and can be downloaded to a Kindle or Kindle app: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KWMTHA/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title.

You might want to start here.

I wish you well, not hell.

BigD
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I absolutely feel your pain, something interesting my RMT taught me is keep water with you always. Everytime the anxiety and depression sneaks into your brain, drown it with the water.

I'm on year 3 anxiety and depression free and I still drown those feelings daily.

Silly but works!
  • jamiehenry
    Options
    I was there and would be lying if i said i am never there now...However for me, the best way i defeat my anxiety and overwhelmed feelings, i get on my treadmill or go for a walk outside. The release of endorphines is a big pick me upper! It is so hard and there are definitely days when id rather sit on the couch with ice cream and potato chips...and defeating the desires are almost as hard as the day i quit smoking...but it will be worth it in the end...Another tip...Get some GOOD motivating to YOU music! helps me out a lot!
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My advice is to talk to a doctor/psychiatrist and see if he or she thinks you need medication. It's hard to motivate yourself if there is a chemical imbalance or something physically wrong. Or try some essential oils to see if that helps. Once you are on medication and feel better then you will have the ability to do what is necessary to lose weight.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Add some :

HAPPY FATS to your diet.
    Plant and fish based fats: they are calorie dense, but it takes a small amount to feel satisfied...
    Purported to improve brain function, depression, protect your nervous system and reduce the risk of diabetes.

Fish has lovely Omega 3s which protect your heart.
    Avoid hydrogenated fats and oil, and limit saturated fats.
    Watch your portion size.

PROPER ALL AROUND NUTRITION You will be less physically stressed if your body gets what it needs, It's easier to handle things emotionally, when your physical needs are met. So track, calcium, protein, iron, vitamins, etc.
    Calcium and magnesium are some key players

COFFEE
    Have read a couple of studies recently talking about benefits of coffee in reducing depression... Sorry, I don't have the articles handy, they did say they saw no down side to up to 4 cups (8oz) if coffee a day. Google it and see if you find anything helpful, from a valid source.

EXERCISE
    I saw plenty of other responses, encouraging exercise...
    I got over the hump to start by telling myself I would go for 10 minutes... If I could stay longer if I wanted to, but if I hated it after 10 minutes I'd could quit.
    My thinking being that I if I find something that I enjoy it improves the odds of sticking with it. I want to associate healthy with happy.
    Set yourself up for success, not failure. If I tell myself I'll do 10 min and I do 20... woo hoo. I got used to doing 20 and before you know it I was doing 30... I got used to doing 30 and before you know my boss was yelling at me for going over my lunch hour at the gym. You've got to start where you are, not where you think you should be.

HUGS
    This is harder, because you're dependent on others... but my new thing is don't wait until thing are yucky before I ask for a hug... physical contact sends all sorts of happy hormones through your body.

While you may need more help than this I always figure start with what is most accessible, see how much you can improve with diet and exercise to find your base line before throwing meds into the mix. It's about getting your life to work for you and for meds and/or therapy are an important part of that for many people. Use all of the tools that you need to be the best you, you can be.

Good luck!
  • Hadley_SM
    Hadley_SM Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I deal with anxiety a lot right now. I just starting getting help for it. It was scary going to the doctor's office about it, but it was helpful to get a plan going.

I'm trying to focus on the present and avoid distractions (not very good at that part yet, as I'm online during work!). I put a note above my computer that says Do it NOW! When I'm starting to slip into the I don't want to, I'll do it later mindset, I see the note. I force myself to take a deep breath, and just get it started.

For my weight loss mission, I keep my workout shoes and clothes at work, so it's easy to just do it now, even when I'd rather put it off. I bring my food to work, so I have healthy things to eat all day. I also cleaned out my 'snack drawer' at work. I now have beef jerky, single serve sized popcorn chips, tea, and really good dark chocolate in there now.
  • slynnalex
    slynnalex Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Smash323
    Options
    I just joined MFP (I was a long time Sparker on Sparkpeople, but never could find a fitness buddy there, and now they're charging for their iPhone app. Boo.) and I'm amazed to see so many people sharing their stories to encourage each other.

I, too, struggle with anxiety and depression. For a few years, a regular yoga practice really, really helped me. I was too anxious to try it initially, but luck and the hand of providence brought a friendly yoga instructor across my path who dragged me into her studio. Yoga and meditation really helped me, and it can be done anywhere!

Unfortunately, I've had several major life events that have escalated my anxiety. I recently joined a study at a local university and am being treated for panic disorder with cognitive behavior therapy. I believe someone else mentioned CBT, but I don't remember seeing that they spelled out what it is.

Making big changes -- even positive ones -- can seem colossal when you're dealing with anxiety. Keep those success stories coming, because knowing we're not alone can help. A coworker of mine is fond of constantly reminding me, "Progress, not perfection!" So any day you track your food, survive your anxiety, learn from yesterday, move a little more, and reach out to us here or other support systems is progress.
  • NonsensicalSteph
    NonsensicalSteph Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What if, though, you can't find the motivation to make yourself workout? How do you push yourself when you have nothing to push with?
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    People can give you advice all day about what worked for them, but honestly, you need to see a doctor. Whether you go on meds and therapy, or change your diet, or start meditating... what you need to do first and foremost is talk to a doctor and have them evaluate you.

If you've already seen a doctor and been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, then you need to go back and talk to them about your current situation.
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    See a doctor but don't expect a miracle from them. I have seen 3 different doctors as well as a therapist and they all just seem exhausted, it's like they don't believe me.
    I barely exercise, I simply can't find the motivation or energy for it. When I do, I like to go outside for a walk/jog...something about the fresh air lifts me up a bit.

Good luck with your battle!!! I've been "managing" for roughly 3 years. It sucks.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Id love to honestly, but my personal problems wont allow me. Im not making excuses honestly lol. New year I tried going back to my local sports centre, and couldnt stay :(

Unless you have a physical disability, or some issue about timing, or a medical issue not related to your mental health, this *is* an excuse. I say so becuase i have the same shiznit. I drag my bum to the gym sometimes. It always makes ya feel better. Exercise releases endorphins that make you feel better. Running gets ya runner's high, improves mood, and reduces anxiety. I noticed when I did cardio for 20 mins at least 3x's a week, my mood was greatly improved. Make a plan for yourself, stick to it, no excuses. Try it for two weeks and see how you feel.

that is how i talk to myself when my depression and anxiety is dragging me down.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    Hello!

Seems there are many of us suffering from anxiety and depression. I have to say it will get better when you start getting into a routine of exercise and eating better. You don't have to do everything perfect especially when starting out. I used to get stressed out at first that I couldn't do everything right (push ups, sit ups, running, eating etc) and that made me feel worse about myself. My advice to you is to take it slow, one meal at a time, one day at a time, and one week at a time. Don't expect it to be easy all the time and set realistic goals. Keep in mind progress shows slowly (we see ourselves everyday so we might not notice) and overtime a little progress every month goes a long way!

YOU CAN DO IT! Just don't give up and keep the negative thoughts at bay. You might have days where it's hard to do anything and days that are really great. I don't have a gym membership or much equipment but there are many DVD's and videos online to help you out at home. :smile: I hope this helps. Good luck with everything. Also, if you are considering medication I would definitely do research first. I was prescribed Zoloft and Xanax but I didn't like them one bit.
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Id love to honestly, but my personal problems wont allow me. Im not making excuses honestly lol. New year I tried going back to my local sports centre, and couldnt stay :(

Unless you have a physical disability, or some issue about timing, or a medical issue not related to your mental health, this *is* an excuse. I say so becuase i have the same shiznit. I drag my bum to the gym sometimes. It always makes ya feel better. Exercise releases endorphins that make you feel better. Running gets ya runner's high, improves mood, and reduces anxiety. I noticed when I did cardio for 20 mins at least 3x's a week, my mood was greatly improved. Make a plan for yourself, stick to it, no excuses. Try it for two weeks and see how you feel.

that is how i talk to myself when my depression and anxiety is dragging me down.

Depression and anxiety ARE medical issues. Saying they are not is ignorant.