Tips to increase my fat intake

Options
From reviewing my recent food diaries I've noticed that my fat intake is always very low (I think this is partly due to eating lots of fruit and vegetables and partly due to not knowing what to eat to increase it!). I'd like to increase my fat intake for a couple of health reasons (not to a really high number...but to a reasonable and healthy amount).

I can be a bit fussy so it would be good if you could please give me suggestions that don't include - nuts, avocado, peanut butter. I rarely fry things so olive oil doesn't get added too much.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Cheese , eggs , mayo , bacon , eat chicken with the skin , butters and dressings ... :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Try full fat yogurt and fattier cuts of meat, leave the skin on chicken, use mayo and forget low fat diet alternatives.
  • inkysmurf
    Options
    natural yoghurt (not low fat!!) is a good one
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have just started adding organic virgin coconut oil to my smoothies, it makes them taste delicious! And its good fat :)
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil. You can use it instead of butter on toast, or add it to a smoothie.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eggs
    seeds
    any 'full fat' dairy instead of low fat/diet stuff
    salmon
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Chicken with skin, mayo, cheese, dressings etc :smile:
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have just started adding organic virgin coconut oil to my smoothies, it makes them taste delicious! And its good fat :)

Haha *jinx!

It also has natural antibiotic properties.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    fullfat dairy and oily fish :)
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Flaxmeal!!! Incredibly good for you in numerous ways.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Don't discount olive oil just because you don't fry. You shouldn't actually fry in olive oil anyway. Try tossing your veg in a tsp of it after cooking, or adding it to your salad.

Eggs have a higher fat content and pack a good bang for your calorie buck.

Some good dark chocolate? If you can trust yourself not to finish the lot :)
  • hope516
    Options

Haha *jinx!

It also has natural antibiotic properties.

Lol pinch poke you owe me a coke!!!

Yes it does and not only can you eat it, its great as a conditioner and lotion. I have been using it for about a week now and I LOOOVE it. And not to mention it makes me smell delicious!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Don't discount olive oil just because you don't fry. You shouldn't actually fry in olive oil anyway. Try tossing your veg in a tsp of it after cooking, or adding it to your salad.

why shouldnt you fry in olive oil?
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

you can but it shouldn't be heated to the same temperature as other oils...
  • ouluann
    ouluann Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dipping whole grain bread in olive oil is yummie.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

it burns too easy
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Try hempseed oil as your dressing on your salads - make a vinaigrette with it to dip veggies in.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    This is like a license to eat cheese. REAL cheese not diet cheese...*shudder*
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Have ALL the avocado!
  • hope516
    Options

You can fry with it but it has a low smoke point. Meaning it will smoke and burn at lower temperatures, unlike corn oil. Corn is 410 degrees, while olive is in the 300 range. cant remember how much exactly