Any success stories from India??

Options

Replies

• Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    1) Find a weight training program like starting strength/ stronglfts and do it 3-4 times a week with progressive loading
    2) Eat at 20-30 % deficit from your TDEE(search tdee on mfp if you dont know what it is)
    3) Do not do excessive cardio(30-40 mins 3-4 times a week at moderate intensity)
    4) Log in daily here and get motivated
    5) Keep surprising your system with a new workout,different diet every 3-4 months
    6)Eat lots of proteins!! around 1 g of protein per pound of LBM(lean body mass)
    [/quote]

Please find my points below:

1. I try to do weight training 4 days a week (2 days upper body and 3 days lower body). i try to workout 5 days a week, though I want to work out for 6 days. what you think is better: 5 days or 6 days?
    2. I got TDEE from one of the posts and trying to follow that,
    3. I do cardio everyday 20mins(3-4 days) before weight training and around 40 mins on cardio days (1-2days). ALso try to cardio on weight training days in the evening (I generally workout in the morning) for close to 30-35mins. Is that fine or need to change?
    4. I have a PT at the gym who generally advices for new exercises or workouts.

Plz advice..
  • rushikareddy
    rushikareddy Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hello there!! I have to loose about 20 lbs to reach my goal weight! That's about eight to ten kilos :) my weight loss is slow but I lost five kilos in about a little more than two weeks! You can add me ! :) I am always in need of more Indian friends who can help me with Indian recipes :)

Five kilos in 2 weeks is not a slow weight loss. It may even be a too rapid weight loss rate. MFP recommends 1 pound a week -which is little less than 1 kg every 2 weeks.

In any event, you have done a lot better than most people. Great job.:smile:
    I should have been clearer! My scale didn't budge a bit for five months and i was working out everyday and checked my diet! Suddenly in two weeks I lost about five kilos lol! I am still trying to figure out what my body type is and work with accordingly! :) and thanks! :)
  • shanighias
    shanighias Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am from Pakistan Gilgit and I have lost 30 pounds so far..stil far away from goal but proceeding daily!
  • Ritesh_Pandey
    Ritesh_Pandey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've just started my weight loss trip, let see how it goes. I am a daily Yoga practiioner. I've started brisk walking in night for 35 min and started taking homemade Salad in night time. Other than this my daily routine is as usual no big change. I'll record my progress after 1 month.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    1) Find a weight training program like starting strength/ stronglfts and do it 3-4 times a week with progressive loading
    2) Eat at 20-30 % deficit from your TDEE(search tdee on mfp if you dont know what it is)
    3) Do not do excessive cardio(30-40 mins 3-4 times a week at moderate intensity)
    4) Log in daily here and get motivated
    5) Keep surprising your system with a new workout,different diet every 3-4 months
    6)Eat lots of proteins!! around 1 g of protein per pound of LBM(lean body mass)
    [/quote]

Please find my points below:

1. I try to do weight training 4 days a week (2 days upper body and 3 days lower body). i try to workout 5 days a week, though I want to work out for 6 days. what you think is better: 5 days or 6 days?
    2. I got TDEE from one of the posts and trying to follow that,
    3. I do cardio everyday 20mins(3-4 days) before weight training and around 40 mins on cardio days (1-2days). ALso try to cardio on weight training days in the evening (I generally workout in the morning) for close to 30-35mins. Is that fine or need to change?
    4. I have a PT at the gym who generally advices for new exercises or workouts.

1)Keep it at 4 days a week.6 days is totally unnecessary.You should hit all body parts equally so 2 day legs and 2 days upper body.
    2)Good!
    3)Cardio should follow weight training not the other way around.Like i said cardio should be done in moderation for your cardio vasulcular health and the ensuing endorphin rush.It doesnt affect weightloss that much.I have had weeks where i burnt 7000 calories and lost nothing.Eating at a deficit is what is gonna cause you to lose weight not cardio.
    4)Read the forums and learn.There is so much bull**** out there that you will get confused cuz most of the time you will get contradictory advice.Start learning about nutrition because if you want a healthy lifestyle and want to maintain it for the next 40-50 yrs,you really need to know how your body works when it comes to nutrition and overall health.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hi!!

I have lost about 18 pounds in 1 and a half month and have to lose another 29 to reach my goal weight.I exercise twice a day 6 days a week for about 2 hrs total everyday.Cardio , circuit and strength training.I eat about 1200-1400 calories everyday..
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am from Pakistan Gilgit and I have lost 30 pounds so far..stil far away from goal but proceeding daily!

Good to see someone from Pak. Congrats on your weight loss. I see you do the P90X. Which workouts?
    I have tried the p90x yoga and stretch workouts. Both are nice. Haven't started doing weight/strength training as Sam suggested in earlier post.
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Namaste! I am from India too :smile: and have been here at MFP for couple of days :tongue:
    I started on MFP about 30 lbs heavier than what I am now. I have lost over all 38+ lbs over the last one year and I am glad to be at maintenance for sometime. I love running, yoga and fasting every once in a while. Friends are welcome!
  • MsJourno
    MsJourno Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Am glad someone started this thread...please add me. My weight loss goals are not very big, I just wanted to knock off about five pounds and mostly, get fitter than my current level.

I got on MFP around the last week of January, but seriously started logging in only after Feb 11 (well, actually, I DID NOT log in for a couple of days after that, but got back to doing it pretty soon), In just about two weeks of logging in, I have lost about 3.4 lbs. MFP helps because I am now more conscious of what I put in my mouth. I have always been very keen on fitness and workout and do regular yoga, but somehow I had never accounted for what I ate. Now I do and I can see the improvement.

Here is how I go about it: I make sure I eat only 80 percent of my TDEE and avoid sugars and fried foods as much as I can, a tough call on an Indian diet. My daily food intake is now 80 percent fruits and veggies (mostly as juices/smoothies and salads), and the rest of it is a combination of nuts and whole grains. At night, I mostly only have a bowl of soup, combined with spme fruits.

Plus, I do about one hour of gym workout four days a week (mostly cardio, weights and some abs) and forty minutes of yoga thrice a week. For those of you who love Indian food, here are a few suggestions:

1) Always make sure you consume enough calories. Eating below your calorie limit is a no-no, since you are depriving your body of enough fuel to burn off fat. If you starve your body, it then starts hoarding fat, instead of burning it. So, eat healthy, eat sensible.
    2) As much as possible, try avoiding fried stuff. The occasional samosa is okay, but try steaming/baking some of the stuff that you normally like fried. For example, I made kadi pakodi yesterday and instead of frying the pakodas, I mixed up two cups of shreddeed cabbage. 1/2 cup besan, one shredded onion and 1/4 cup cilantro with some spices and steamed them as koftas before dunking them into the kadi. Believe me, it tasted awesomely different.
    3) If you love rice, substitute white rice for brown rice. Or even better, broken wheat or even quinoa. Did you know quinoa tastes great in classic south indian dishes like pongal and dosa? And it is a slow release protein, so you stay fuller for longer.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I would love to hear them.

Happy weight-lossing!
  • Satyenx
    Options
    Hi,

I just started my weight loss journey in January and I've lost about 5 pounds until now. I run for about 2.4 kms and workout combined with diet that's aminly about eating on time and eating more proteins and no fat.
  • Shalini_15
    Options
    Good going people.. Keep it coming..
  • chanvi
    chanvi Posts: 26
    Options
    Hello All,

I have lost 4 Kgs in 3 Months. And 11 more to go. Pretty slow weight loss but exactly what I want. I defenitely want it to be a slow change which will promote a healthy lifestyle as i go through the progress. Feel free to add me.

- chanvi :flowerforyou:
  • dushyant92
    dushyant92 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thats great start Namrata. Yes I have lost 6 kgs in 27 days. I stick to 1400 calories a day diet. U can friend me and see my daily eating.
  • chetnabhatt
    Options
    Hi there..I m also an Indian. Joined MFP in april 2012 and lost 13 kg in around 4 months. I was very happy with my progress. I could relate the one in mirror with 'older me'. But soon I lost my track because of the shifting and all. My husband got transferred from Noida to Hyderabad. Checked my weight a few days back and the scale tells I have piled on 7 kg back weighing 66 now..:cry: So decided this morning to kick my butt and get in shape again. Earlier I did stationary biking and Jillian's 30 Day Shred. So going with it again. Completed my day 1 of level 1. I have a sweet tooth and for that I eat lots of fruit. Most of the times I don't log on my diaries completely . Somehow I keep track of calories. It came from long checking on calories in everything I eat. Hope I see some good results in a month.

Would love to find some Indian friends here.:smile:

Feel free to add. :flowerforyou:
  • Shalini_15
    Options
    Welcome :) Lets do it..
  • anubhavsharma18
    anubhavsharma18 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Lost 12 pounds in 2 months. Started to do jogging everyday. Said no to junk food. lost 2 inches from my stomach, 4 more to go.
  • aad999
    aad999 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey! Nice to see so many indians sailing in the same boat. I have lost 10KG in 4 months which i failed to achive in last 15 years. I am very excited to reach to ma destination which is expected in 3-4 months. I already started receiving nice compliments from my surroundings.All the best to all indian fella for their weightloss journey.
  • chandruper
    Options
    Just started my journey..Letz see how far am going..
    feel free to add me..
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    What about people BORN in India =)
  • Shalini_15
    Options
    Lost 12 pounds in 2 months. Started to do jogging everyday. Said no to junk food. lost 2 inches from my stomach, 4 more to go.

Awesome going :) All the best for your future loss :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!