What am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Maybe I don't have something set right? I'm set at sedentary, 5'6, 208.2 pounds (as of today). I work with elderly clients- some of which I am constantly on the go with (grocery shopping, cleaning, personal care), and some I am sitting on the couch keeping them company and assisting with cooking or personal care.

#1 - You are not sedentary. Sedentary is doing a desk job all day and getting no exercise whatsoever.

I'm no expert, but looking at your diary for yesterday what shouts out to me is that it's a refined carb and sugar fest and that's food your body really doesn't have to struggle to digest. Personally I'd up the protein and lower the carbs and see how you get on.
  • Cjmjr
    Cjmjr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I agree with the other posts that mention cutting out more of the processed foods, and also trying to better balance your protein to carb ratio. I've been on Atkins (which is basically all protein, and I'm NOT recommending it) for 13 days and I've lost about 4 pounds. Starting tomorrow, I'll adjust to a 40%/30%/30% ratio - and incorporate tons of fresh veggies to count as my carbs... That way, it's not sugar that's making up my carb intake, but rather natural whole foods. My weight loss is slow right now because I'm not able exercise just yet (had a baby a month ago) but once we are able to incorporate exercise that will really help too... particularly some weight or resistance training. VERY BEST OF LUCK to you!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Well I'll be the semi blunt one.

First, cut out the d@mn sugar!!!. A McDonald's Ice Cream shake for Bedtime Snack? Hot Chocolate and etc for nighttime snacks?

Secondly, are you weighting and being accurate on your food logging? Especially on days you are eating your exercise calories?

Get a food scale, make sure you log everything, even a nut or bean that you just taste to test something you are cooking. Lay off the empty calories at night. If you want to lose the weight, buck up and get serious about it. You are the one with the dead line, which eliminates the little area for the shakes here and there.

Lower the sodium as well. Work out more, even if it's just a walk. Most days you don't have much for exercise calories. Try lowering your calories a bit on some days (not much just 150 or so).

You have a goal, now even if it's walking start putting one foot in front of the other and get out there and go get that goal!

BTW, you are going to look great in your wedding dress.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Start the day with less high glycemic carbs (bread, etc) and eat more fat/protein. Eat the high glycemic carbs right before or during a workout. Read up on glycemic index and blood sugar levels (i.e. how insulin works to make fat when blood sugar levels are too high).

The week of your wedding cut way back on salt, all carbs, and other food items that cause water retention, and you will shed a lot of water (feel and look tighter) for your wedding day.

I say the above with hesitation because it is a great oversimplification and it will be labled broscience or other names by the low carb haters.

Good luck.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    holy carbs Batman!! change your macro ratios to 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein and you should see a difference
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Like has been said before, lower your carb intake a bit. If you can walk, you can exercise! Maybe even while watching some of your elderly clients. Leslie Sansone walk off the pounds is a great start, it is low impact, walking workouts. Get some resistance bands for some light strength training if your injury allows. And have patience, most importantly. Don't let slow progress discourage you. You will be a beautiful bride.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I ran your number as sedentary and hear is what it came up with

"Mifflin-St Jeor
    (FOR WOMEN)"
    BMR 1,692
    Maintenance 2,199
    Cut (@ 15%) 1,869
    Cut (@ 20%) 1,759
    Build (@ 15%) 2,529

Have a blessed day and good luck!
  • douglaskminty
    Options
    Run. I started this program just after new years and have almost lost 20 pounds so far. I jogged before I started this plan, but now with counting calories its greatly accerated the proccess. I limit myself to 1650 cal a day and run a min of 20 km a week. So my advice is to run your little heart out!!!
  • nikkionwine
    Options
    I pretty much agree with what everyone else said, especially the diet and time. Eat whole foods, a clean diet. It's not hard and actually very yummy. Allow yourself a treat every once in a while, not every day. Incorporate upper body weight lifting if your injury is down low (you didn't say?), most if the calories from lifting are fat calories. You won't get bulky. In fact you'll love your fit arms in your wedding dress :-)

And the time part...it takes time. It took me 14 months to lose 48 pounds, and the second half didn't happen until I started exercising.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor? There could be so many health-related issues that could be holding you back - Thyroid, PCOS, insulin resistance, etc. I would say if you've had a check up and received a clean bill of health, you may want to lower your sugar intake and for a while, that may include fruit, too. I did take a peek at your food diary and although I just glanced at a few recent days it looks to me like you're taking in way too many grams of sugar. You have to be careful - fruits, especially dried or canned, can be loaded with sugars so even though you think you're doing the right thing by eating fruits instead of traditional desserts, you can still be going overboard with sugar. I would also say if you can't incorporate exercise into your regimen at the moment, you may want to cut back some of your calories. I'm no expert by any means but you're going to have a slow loss eating more and not exercising.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising, watching calories, and not losing weight, then you're eating too many calories.

Drop your calorie goal by another 200-250.

The "whole foods" and "no processed food" is mostly nonsense. Eat whatever you want. Hit your calorie and protein goal for the day and forget the rest.
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    Options
    I haven't looked at your food log yet, but my nutritionist told me that I needed more protein in my diet. Maybe that is the case. For my own diet just as a general rule, I don't fry a thing. Everything is baked or grilled. I drink water all day. I bought a cup that is 24 oz. I drink that beginning with breakfast. At lunch, I fill the cup up again. At dinner the same. That's 9 glasses of water without the cup used when I exercise. I take the stairs whenever possible instead of the elevator. I've swithched from regular pasta to Veggie pasta, from whole milk to Almond milk. I read the recommended serving sizes and adhire to them. You may be eating too much.

Your calorie intake is 1600? You need to lower that. Mine is 1280 & I'm 5'6" as well.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Processed foods, sugar, carbs, sodium. It may seem inconvenient, but truly it is very simple. Your carbs and refined sugar is really high. Stick to whole foods. Whole fresh fruit, fresh or frozen veggies with no sauces, and lean proteins should be the building blocks of all meals. Try to stick to clean grains-brown rice, quinoa, cous cous, whole wheat choices in small portions. Incorporate healthy fats-nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut oil, etc. For "dessert" try yogurt, cottage cheese with a little fruit, frozen grapes, and apple with peanut butter, etc. Those simple changes will give you the results you want. And obviously incorporating exercise, but diet is the larger factor.
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Here are some suggestions:

1. Drastically reduce your sodium intake. You're likely holding onto a lot of excess water weight due to your sodium levels. And not drinking enough water is not going to help that. Instead of salted butter, tried whipped unsalted butter. Instead of a Special K cereal bar for a snack, try a banana or some fresh berries. Make your OWN FOOD when possible. Packaged food has CRAZY high sodium content! Salt is a "natural preservative" but it is one of the most deadly preservatives also.

2. DRINK MORE WATER! It is one of the best aids in weight loss. It not only helps you flush out the sodium, but it also lubricates your body from the inside. To drink more water, make it a bit of a challenge. Get a water bottle that has the ounces listed on the side. Rubbermaid makes a good one and they sell it at Target. Get the one that has 32 ounces listed on it (4 cups of water). Fill it up at LEAST twice a day. I do four. And associate times of day with when you want to get your water in. So if you haven't drank your hopeful 16 oz of water by 10 a.m., you better get to chugging. The benefits of drinking more water are incredible. You will love them all.

3. Reduce your sugar intake. Try not to drink juice, just eat the fruit. Try not to eat anything with ADDED sugar. Eat things that are naturally sweet.

Best of luck to you. I hope these suggestions help. :)
  • jmedile
    Options
    I went to my medical doctor wondering why I wasn't losing weight. I was doing Zumba 4 to 5 times a week. I thought something must be wrong with me. He said that it was all about your diet. The workout is 10%. The workout gives you the ability to add calories to your day, but if you really want to lose weight I wouldn't add any. I lost 10 pounds within 4 weeks after he told me to log everything I eat. I then went to a weight loss doctor for Lipo-B injections and he said the same thing. He told me to lower my calorie intake from 1200 to 1000. I'm waiting to see how much more I can lose doing it. So...my suggestion is to eat more vegetables, less meat, and lower calories.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I fractured my coccyx in August. The actual bone has healed but it caused something called coccyxdynia which is inflamation around the coccyx joint and the membrane that surrounds it. I've received a steroid injection but did not have much relief, so the next step is probably physical therapy. Because of the injury- I can't run like I used to because of the jarring caused by pounding the pavement. Walking fast seems to irritates it, so there are days that I have to just walk at a 'normal' pace to get in that exercise. I can't sit on a weight bench to be able to do any kind of machine lifting because it's hard and I won't get proper form if I have to sit the way that I do. I tried getting in a pool and that seems to put pressure in that exact area and causes pain (I guess that's where we get our buoyancy from?) which is exactly what I thought was not supposed to happen! Frustrates me beyond belief and really is a pain in the @ss!!

I can do some hand weight stuff or something where I could lay down on my back (as long as it doesn't require me to go into a sitting position on my tailbone). I'll add some of that in.

I do weigh all of my food, and measure it out. I don't go walking every day, especially not on days that I work but I have gone more than 3 times in the past 2 months. I focus to much on logging every last bite that I don't even think about logging my walks. For working- I work 3 days a week, 4 hours each day.

I think that answers some of the questions.

Where can I get some extra protein from? I don't eat red meat, and I don't really like chicken or pork so I find myself forcing myself to eat it. Peanut Butter and celery maybe? That way I don't add in carbs like bread or crackers?
  • hyphenbobbit
    hyphenbobbit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi,

How frustrating it all is! No expert, but from personal experience I don't lose if I have too many carbs and even if restricted, if I take my carbs as breads n sweet things I don't seem to lose either. Looks like you are well within calories but maybe try replacing some of the 'not so good' items with something more nutritious and keep away from processed foods if you can. Obvioulsy, I don't have all the answers or I'd be nice and thin but hope this helps:smile: