just heard "Diary as part of a diet is no good"

Options
a friend at work said this and he is a big health freak. Semi body building and takes tons of vitamins. Then he said that.... now i lost weight with string cheese, greek yogurt and skim milk. But i cant seem to find that to be true. Unless maybe he is trying to get cut...

your opinions?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I was sitting here wondering how tracking food could be bad for a diet. Then I realized that you meant "dairy" not diary, lol. Anyway, I don't believe in cutting anything unless it has an adverse effect on your body. If you get along with dairy, don't worry about your friend.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It's a load of bull. Dairy is good, it has calcium, vitamin D, and is just generally awesome. People get it into their heads that it's bad because it contains fat.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    wheat, dairy, and legumes are the only form of food based disease...(or something like that).
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. Keeping a diary is the only thing that has helped me get on track. It makes me think twice about putting that cookie in my mouth. I don't deprive myself but keep myself in check. He may have lost weigh simply by working it off and building muscle. Unfortunately most of us do not have that kind of time.
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ask your friend if he thinks there is a such thing as "good fats" and see what he says?

The answer will probably clear it up.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    a friend at work said this and he is a big health freak. Semi body building and takes tons of vitamins. Then he said that.... now i lost weight with string cheese, greek yogurt and skim milk. But i cant seem to find that to be true. Unless maybe he is trying to get cut...

your opinions?

Anyone who says that any particular food is by its nature bad is someone you should never listen to.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    not gonna give up my greek yogurt....
    not gonna happen.
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am really confused. Diary or dairy?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    The paleovore "What Would Caveman Ogg Eat" argument against dairy is that as mammals, our digestive systems and bodies are designed to process milk . . . ummmm, specifically HUMAN milk. . . up until about the age of weaning, which, depending on diet of the mother and cultural practices could be anywhere from about 2 - 6 years. Beyond that, we're really not supposed to be consuming the heavy amounts of fat and lactic acid from the mammalian glands of other species such as cows and sheep, and so we should avoid dairy on the grounds that "it just ain't right" for our systems.

The counterargument is that humans are also opportunistic omnivores, and that we've managed to survive for thousands of years on stuff that would be completely foreign to Ogg--including processed grains, fermented beverages, and the whole crazy concept of COOKING meats and vegetables before consuming them.

So, as a proud omnivore, I include SOME dairy in my diet because I like it, but I try not to go overboard because of the fat and calories,
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    More cheese and yogurt and milk for me!

Other than that, just nod at his beliefs and move on.
  • rachlat
    Options
    Lots of people have lots of diffferent ideas about diets which is why there are so many different types. At the end of the day we need variety so good old fashioned calorie counting and variety is the way to go. If you cut something out you only wind up craving it because you deprive your body of something that it needs. Unless there is a health risk, eat dairy, calcium is needed
  • HealthyNowForever
    HealthyNowForever Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of dairy and I have lost about 85 pounds. I use dairy as one of my protein sources and lift weights in addition to cardio. Greek Yogurt and cottage cheese have been great for losing weight.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    mannnnn no way for me to edit... i meant dairy... not diary... doh!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    A whole bunch of people have lost weight by using a whole bunch of different methods, cutting dairy works for some....cutting carbs works for others and just overall portion control works for others. If you have seen results with dairy continue on, if you want to try cutting dairy go ahead. There is no one method or one way to have success losing weight, this important part is finding which way works best for you and gives you the desired results in a manner that fits into your lifestyle.
  • nondomesticgoddess
    Options
    I was sitting here wondering how tracking food could be bad for a diet. Then I realized that you meant "dairy" not diary, lol. Anyway, I don't believe in cutting anything unless it has an adverse effect on your body. If you get along with dairy, don't worry about your friend.

This. If dairy doesn't bother you - physically or morally (vegans) - why cut it out when you can enjoy it and be healthy? I see a lot of cut guys and girls on these forums who intake dairy products. I know active 80 year olds who eat cheese and yogurts for the calcium. In the end, it's about healthy balance.

Maybe it also depends on what makes you proud. If someone feels they can't brag on themselves without being able to say they successfully sacrifice certain food groups (look at what I give up Dude, but I'm so ripped it's worth it)...more power to them. Myself, well....a life without some cheese isn't much of a life :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    If you read all the current buzz about calories in/calories out, new health models, and new food assumptions, there is plenty fo "food for thought", so to say (:smile: ) about the how, when, and why to track calories. There is a lot of the science that is old and is being researched and updated to reflect current thoughts that it is more important about the quality of calories vs. the quanitty.

That said, I think tracking calories is STILL the best visual representation of how your diet is effecting your weight and health. Fact is, NO ONE is in great shape and helath from over eating.

As for those folks who suggest milk and nuts should be cut, or that bananas are bad, or that ___________ is the worst thing for helathy eating....bah humbug. I eat what my body likes and wants.

Cheers all.
  • littleblackcar
    Options
    Unless you're allergic to a given food, cutting out whole food groups doesn't do anything beneficial. If you lose weight doing it, it's probably because it's an indirect way of cutting calories (broccoli + cheese = more calories than broccoli - cheese, right?). I used to be godawful allergic to oranges but I'm not going around telling people to give up eating citrus.

I remain dedicated to dairy (grains, legumes, etc.) myself.
  • KpieS86
    Options
    http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/health-concerns-about-dairy-products

READ. We're not supposed to drink (human) milk past the weaning stage. Today's "milk" is hardly anything like it was when people milked their cows and had raw milk, cream, cheese... growth hormones, antiobiotics, pesticides, these are all in your dairy milk. There are better ways to get Vitamin D (go outside for 15 minutes daily), and calcium (veggies!!!!), and protein (lean environmentally friendly animals, or plant based). It doesn't need to be part of our diet these days, honestly.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'd go crazy if I couldn't eat dairy. Actually I'd go crazy if I told myself I couldn't eat ANYTHING. Moderation.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Ask your friend if he thinks there is a such thing as "good fats" and see what he says?

The answer will probably clear it up.

But.....but.....but.....fats will make me FAT!!!!

J/k. I totally know the truth. :wink: