C-section belly- did yours go away?

Options
weemes01
weemes01 Posts: 13 Member
Hi everyone, I'm just beginning my weight loss journey (20 days) and I'm wondering what to expect of my skin and belly.

I had 2 children 2 years apart and c-sections with both. My recent son was 10 pounds 7 oz and with that and polyhydraminos (3 times the amniotic fluid) my skin got stretched to the extreme. I have the c-section "apron" in a bad way. Above my incision my belly fat hangs over. I'm wondering for those of you that had the same thing and were able to loose weight what happens to this? Does the fat shrink away but the skin still hang over? Does the skin ever tighten up? Please be honest, don't sugar coat it for me.

Replies

• Swmartz
    Swmartz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have three children all c-section delivery. Unfortunately, in my case at least, I still have the bulge of skin from the c section scar tissue. It has gotten better over the years (my youngest is 4), but no matter what I do I can't seem to get rid of it completely. Soory
  • eemorton
    eemorton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section with my twins almost 6 years ago and had a VBAC 3 years ago. I have lost 62 lbs over the last 14 months, 20 more to go, and while my stomach has gone waaaay down, the little skin flap is still there. I don't know if the last 20 pounds will make the difference but I hope so. I am not willing to do surgery to get rid of it. My weight has been so up and down that I am pretty sure the skin has been stretched to the max and is here to stay.
  • tacormier
    tacormier Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It might shrink a bit when you lose weight. It really depends on how bad it is and if your skin is wrinkly from stretching. Mine never went away (it did shrink a bit when I lost weight). I had a tummy tuck to get rid of it.
  • runningmama86
    Options
    I had 2 c-sections 2 years apart too and my "apron" is shrinking A LOT and I am hoping and praying it will go away pretty much completely. My mom had 2 c-sections as well and waited almost 20 years to lose the weight she gained (70+ lbs) and she totally lost her flap of skin. So it can happen! Fingers crossed it happens for us too, lol!
  • Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have had one C section and having another in July, but my apron has always been there. I asked my Dr and he said even if I got down to 130s I would still have it and the only way to get rid of it would be plastic surgery. Sorry sweetie. But it DOES shrink
  • jennymendiola
    jennymendiola Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Two csections, 2.5 years apart. I have lost 55lbs, and the flap is still there. It shrunk ALOT, but it is still there. I am only ten pounds away from my goal, so I guess I need to start trying to tone that area.
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been up and down with weight since having my son... and for a while I focused specifically on the tummy. I got it to where it didn't "hang over" when I was standing, but it was never flat. I have a friend who was tiny her whole life and is still a size 8 after her 3 c-sections, and still has a bit of skin leftover despite doing p90x after each kid. She's mostly toned and has a great body, but finally admitted to herself that the extra skin won't go away without surgery.
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well, I cant fully answer this question because I have only lost 9 lbs or so, with a goal of around 37 to lose! So my tummy is definitely still there. But, I can tell you that since I started MFP in the middle of January and really started to work out, my C section flap has shrunk considerably! I am honestly shocked at how quickly it happened. My daughter is 2.5 years so I have been carrying around that for a while!! I have seen women on here (and am friends with one of whom I speak!) who have incredible stomachs and they have had C sections! I think a lot of it is weight training.
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Seriously, don't worry about this... When I decided not to worry, I started losing lots of weight, my ticker says 15, its really 40, you know what? Its a block, we think "why try? I'm screwed!" or "It'll look really gross when I'm skinny" NOT TRUE! Mine has shrunk A TON, seriously, I probably could have carried a billfold in there, and now it won't hold a pen. I have SEVERE sketchmarks, from bottom of my ribcage to tops of my thighs, and they are starting to wrinkle up, but a wrinkly small belly is sexier than a fat smooth one any day. Be proud of your body, you GREW PEOPLE! How friggen cool is THAT?!?! If you have a little leftover flap, buy higher bikini bottoms, I promise, it'll look better and better the more weight you lose. :flowerforyou:

RANT OVER:blushing:
  • monacienta
    Options
    Hi,

I love this community. What exercises have you done to shrink it somewhat? I had two C-sections.
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I love this community. What exercises have you done to shrink it somewhat? I had two C-sections.

Who are you talking to?
  • Richardson62617
    Richardson62617 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have alot to lose now but after my first c-section I was only 127 pounds and mine never went away either now after second c-section and have gained alot of weight and tryin to lose it mines aweful now but if I can just get small again that will be good enough for me :)
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Well, I cant fully answer this question because I have only lost 9 lbs or so, with a goal of around 37 to lose! So my tummy is definitely still there. But, I can tell you that since I started MFP in the middle of January and really started to work out, my C section flap has shrunk considerably! I am honestly shocked at how quickly it happened. My daughter is 2.5 years so I have been carrying around that for a while!! I have seen women on here (and am friends with one of whom I speak!) who have incredible stomachs and they have had C sections! I think a lot of it is weight training.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone what kind of training is most effective (I have had two Caesarians 14 and 11 years ago, and am only now getting around to losing the weight!).

Like @sarantoio I do think of my scar as a bit of a badge of honour - two wonderful healthy daughters definitely make up for it! (But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't care for a flat tummy too!)
  • AVanCuren09
    AVanCuren09 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My "apron" is gone! I have lost almost 70 lbs since having my son, but i use the it works body wraps. Its cheaper than surgery and also fades stretch marks :) I suggest using them, if you are truly concerned about never losing the "flap" (as I call it) haha
  • weemes01
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess I'll have to learn to love the apron. Like many of you though, I'm going to work to shrink it as much as possible.

I'd like to hear if anyone has done any belly exercises that have helped or is it mostly cardio? It can be hard to use the lower ab muscles.

This is really inspiring to me, thanks! I just started and have lost about 7 lbs and can't tell a difference what so ever. I think maybe I'll try taking some before photos now.
  • weemes01
    Options
    My "apron" is gone! I have lost almost 70 lbs since having my son, but i use the it works body wraps. Its cheaper than surgery and also fades stretch marks :) I suggest using them, if you are truly concerned about never losing the "flap" (as I call it) haha

What kind of body wrap? I'm confused?
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    you GREW PEOPLE! How friggen cool is THAT?!?!

THIS. Not hating or judging people who choose to go the surgery route, but we're crazy if we expect women to have perfect bodies after having babies, ya know? I'm going to diet and exercise, and whatever is left, is what's left.
  • AVanCuren09
    AVanCuren09 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lol they are called "it works" body wraps. Definitely worth a try once you get to your gw
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i've had two boys, both c-section, one was 10.2 one was 7.11
    i had a tummy tuck a year and a half ago. although the skin didn't necessarily "hang," i had a lil pooch. the tummy tuck was fabulous, everyone hates my flat belly :laugh:
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Two c-sections, but I didn't make a real effort until 16 years after my last c-section; my kids are 20 and 16. So, my skin has been stretched pretty well for nearly two decades. I just don't know if there is hope for skin stretched for that long. But I am working on it. Not a fan of unnecessary surgery (yes, I am a hypocrite -- had lasik and have no regrets), so I will just keep working my abs. I hope what I don't like does eventually flatten out, but I am not counting on it after all these years.

I don't care about the scar. Mine, though light, is rather long, I think, but it does not bother me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!