Protein options

Options

Replies

• therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    quinoa, veggie burgers, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, other cheese, lots of veggies, fish, chicken, all other types of meat, protein bars, protein powders.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You feel like cooking/baking .. my girlfriend found some recipes on pintrest for protein bites... Just like bite size 100 Calorie granola bar looking things, but have alot of protein in them because you make them with nuts, and protein powder and other things like that, ill see if i can find the recipe if your intrested.
  • dannyennis74
    dannyennis74 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You can go with protein bars...which are totally gross and disgusting...unless you make your own...search for the forums, lots of recipes...lots of no-bake recipes too.

Also, a variety of nuts and chia seeds have a decent amount of protein...and fiber...which helps your body break down the protein so you can absorb it.

If you like fish, then have some tuna on a wrap, or celery stick, or something green. You can substitute almost any other fish for the tuna...and if you like meat, you can substitute that instead.

Lots of great protein sources, you just might need to think outside of the box to make them feel more like snacks.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Looking for snack protein options to up my protein intake. I know you can make shakes and go buy hard boiled eggs but was wondering if there are other options.

Working in nyc midtown, there are plenty of places here to get something but im trying to maximize the intake.

Lean meats, it seems weird to “snack” on that but it really helps with the protein – I make mini-meatballs out of ground turkey and snack on that

Nuts & Cheeses – though they are higher in fat – its good fat. 

Beans, beans, beans, I put them in everything! (salads, soups, burgers, tacos, wraps)

Peanut Butter.

Tofu
    Soy Milk
  • whedbeer
    Options
    HI I seen your post and wanted to offer some of the options I found
    cottage cheese 1/2 cup 15g
    plain Greek yogurt 1 cup 23g
    prepare chicken 6 oz can give you 33g
    tuna packets for on the go has 18g
    protein shots can run up to 50g
    protein bars homemade would best cuz you don't get high carbs
    hope this helps :)
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Looking for snack protein options to up my protein intake. I know you can make shakes and go buy hard boiled eggs but was wondering if there are other options.

Working in nyc midtown, there are plenty of places here to get something but im trying to maximize the intake.

Are you trying to keep fats and carbs low at the same time? If so, I think tuna is your best option and easiest. Nuts if you are not so concerned about the extra good fat. Lowfat cottage cheese with fresh berries but I am not a huge fan of that one. am trying to avoid the shakes these days but I saw that someone posted a recipe for protein balls(I forget the exact name) Basically chocolate protein powder mixed with nut butter, rolled oats and a bit of honey. That sounded good to me but not sure how many it makes and what the breakdown is of fats, carbs and protein per ball.
  • 01megar
    01megar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A small baked potatoe with cottage cheese, chopped green onions, dash of pepper is one of my favorite
    dinners with a salad, very filling.
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What about single serving low fat cottage cheese, yogurt, (they have one now that's greek with 2 X the protein) tuna fish, homemade trail mix with high protein cereal & nuts added?
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Because I m in my car a lot, I try to keep a small lunch bag of these:
    Almonds , always. And portioned bags of edamame out of the freezer when I remember to stock them from trader joe s.
    not being a big fan of Greek yoghurt, I make small containers of Kefir and yoghurt ( I like Pavel best at whole foods ) and strained yoghurt (Leben) from middle eastern style stores.
    I also stock on low sodium canned tuna, sardines, herring

I limit jerky cuz too much salt. I do some legumes but only once or twice a week, high in calorie, takes a lot in my cal budget.
    Bison I hear is a terrific protein source and Delish.

I stay away from peanut butter, cuz its ratio protein/fat is so disproportionate. I never understood why peanut butter was classified as a "healthy" food in the US. Just like candy at one point was considered ok cuz fat free.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    shrimp and sodium.... isnt shrimp loaded with sodium?

how do you combat that?

Do you have a medical condition that indicates you should keep it low?
  • Conscious1y
    Options

Cottage cheese me dude.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Tuna, greek yogurt, nuts
  • Staci64
    Staci64 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    This sounds DELICIOUS
  • Staci64
    Staci64 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I bought a protein bar called revolution, it has 20g of protein, 1g of sugar and only 180 calories, thats not too bad considering it taste sorta like a snickers, has caramel, nuts, nougat and chocolate. With that much protein, it should tie you over without breaking your calorie bank too bad!! Gotta read labels, some of those protein bars have a butt-load of protein, but like over 400 calories...hello, if I'm gonna eat 400 calories, give this girl some meat! lol
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options

how do you combat that?

no... but i just want to keep it lower so i dont retain much water...
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

how do you combat that?

no... but i just want to keep it lower so i dont retain much water...

Potassium rich foods are good at mitigating this.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    bump.... just for those who wanted to read some more