Coconut Oil

Options

Replies

• connie1208
    Options
    I use it on my hair...better than conditioner..:)
  • saflows
    Options
    I just take coconut oil capsules-no mixing, no cooking with it. I just take a couple of pills and I've had my coconut oil for the day!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if it is suppose to be in liquid form like olive oil or solid like shortening. I saw a big container at costco, it looks solid. Is anyone using the one from costco and is it considered a "good one"?

I do! And yes, when the temperature of the room is colder it is more solid, in the summer in my part of the country it gets softer, easy to scoop. Easy to melt though!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    For a weekend treat, I cook my kids French toast with it. The French toast soaks most of it up and has a great flavor. (I usually don't eat it though because of the carbs and the sugar from the syrup.) My sister does Panko (or other breaded) Chicken with it. The crumbs soak up the oil.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I use it on my toast...it is delicious on cinnamon raisin toast! I have also had it on shrimp and also found that they were coated after cooling which turned me off. Pretty much IMO, it needs to be in/on something that stays hot while you eat it. You could even add it to a smoothie or protein shake.
  • bluestormyrain
    Options
    I was wondering if it is suppose to be in liquid form like olive oil or solid like shortening. I saw a big container at costco, it looks solid. Is anyone using the one from costco and is it considered a "good one"?

Yes, it is supposed to be somewhat solid at room temperature. I use the non-flavor kind almost every day for cooking and the natural coconut flavor as a sugar substitute in oatmeal, hot tea, shakes, and on skin!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite way to incorporate it into a meal:

Cut up some chicken breast (I use about 7oz) into very small pieces,
    Saute it in 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (I use Nutiva Organic, found at Costco),
    Sprinkle to taste with Simply Asia Sweet Ginger Garlic Seasoning (I found that at Costco),
    Toss some raw spinach/spring mix (I use 100g) with 2 tbsp Marie's Honey Mustard Salad Dressing,
    Pour the chicken, and remaining coconut oil over salad, and mix well.

I gave the detail I did because it is the most delicious thing I've ever eaten. I really highly recommend this dish! The amounts I gave are meant for one person, so multiply accordingly if you're serving more than one.
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I use it when I make a lot of raw foods, especially pies. It works magic.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options

I do! And yes, when the temperature of the room is colder it is more solid, in the summer in my part of the country it gets softer, easy to scoop. Easy to melt though!

thanks
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options

I saw it at Costco too. Curious to see what if anyone responds to your question.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

I use that one, and it's amazing! It is coconutty tasting, which is what I was looking for, and it's extra virgin (cold pressed). It's fairly solid, until you start working with it.
  • dalh
    dalh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite way to incorporate it into a meal:

Cut up some chicken breast (I use about 7oz) into very small pieces,
    Saute it in 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (I use Nutiva Organic, found at Costco),
    Sprinkle to taste with Simply Asia Sweet Ginger Garlic Seasoning (I found that at Costco),
    Toss some raw spinach/spring mix (I use 100g) with 2 tbsp Marie's Honey Mustard Salad Dressing,
    Pour the chicken, and remaining coconut oil over salad, and mix well.

I gave the detail I did because it is the most delicious thing I've ever eaten. I really highly recommend this dish! The amounts I gave are meant for one person, so multiply accordingly if you're serving more than one.

Thank you, this sounds yummy!
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE coconut oil i use it in everything. I fry with it i put it in my tea my smoothies popcorn with a little sea salt or cinnamon you can use it for everything i don't buy the CHEAP stuff make sure its Organic and its cold pressed . i also use it for moisturizer i add a few drops of Young living oils to it and its the best for your body as its all natural
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I use, and have been using coconut oil for cooking everything in, when oil or butter is called out, for about 4 years. I love it! Gluten free pancakes in coconut oil are fabulous... but yes, we use it as a healthy alternative for "frying." Olive oil should not be used at high temps as once it meets its flash point, it turns to a transfat and since coconut oil has a very high flash point, you don't run into that issue. You should only used cold pressed unrefined as well. As for the waxy coating, I have never noticed it honestly... mercola.com has plenty of articles regarding coconut oil.
    Olive oil does not turn into trans fats when over heated, nor does any oil. Oils high in polyunsaturated fats oxidize almost immediately though, which encourages free radical activity on the cellular level, not a good thing.
    I think the term you were looking for is "smoke point". Coconut oil is at about 350 degrees (unrefined) and 450 degrees (refined). Extra virgin olive oil is 375 degrees, and extra light olive oil is 468 degrees. So the differences are negligible (although olive oil is higher in both cases). It's especially unimportant since THEY DON'T TURN INTO TRANSFAT WHEN OVERHEATED ANYWAY. The smoke point is basically the point at which it starts to taste bad and to lose some of its nutritional benefits.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I put it in my oatmeal and sometimes add it to smoothies too!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Saturated fats tend to be solid a room temperature. Think butter, lard, etc.
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I found this on Livestrong.com and I think it explains about the notion that olive oil will change chemically only under certain conditions, not under general moderate heat cooking:
    When you heat oils to their smoke point, their chemical composition begins to change as the oils break down. The amounts of antioxidants found in the oils can decrease, removing one of the oil's positive health benefits. High quality extra-virgin olive oil has a high smoke point compared to cheaper olive oils. The Olive Oil Source states that the smoke point of olive oil falls between 365 and 400 degrees F. Olive oil exposed to light and air will have a lower smoke point. Oil that's already been heated one or more times will also smoke at lower temperatures. Olive oil turns to trans fat only when repeatedly reused and heated to very high temperatures.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/446570-does-overheating-olive-oil-turn-it-to-trans-fat/#ixzz2M9j0XSyE
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    What I wonder is this.

Is this actually resulting in more weight loss for anybody?
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I just started using it inmy coffee, oatmeal and just tried it on my baked sweet potato! Yummy! I use it as moisturizer and for me and my daughter's hair.
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: i use it for my hair and skin after a nice hot shower