I am confused.

Options
2»

Replies

• Lindaj107
    Options
    I love MFP, thank you for all the feedbacks, I get frustrated and feel completely inadequate, but I really appreciates all of the feedbacks. I am going to get a food scale so I will know exactly how much I am putting on my plate.
  • Lindaj107
    Options
    Thank you for your advice will definitely add you.
  • babymariss33
    babymariss33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to other people's diaries. What works for one person does not always work for another. But I do agree with the above - sometimes what you're eating isn't the problem; how much of it you are eating is usually the culprit. That's definitely the case for myself. I am a glutton and could eat ten times a normal amount of something if I love it. Just don't base your own progress on someone else's. :)
  • babymariss33
    babymariss33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Also try to get at least a half hour of rigorous exercise a day if you don't already. That makes a huge difference!
  • Jrredman87
    Options
    Up your protein intake. Also fruits and Vegs are full of carbs and sugars. You have to be careful because too much of a good thing is still bad for you.

Also, Protein: 20-35% of calories burned through processing
    Carbohydrates: 5-15% of calories burned through processing
    Fats: 0-5% of calories burned through processing

To put this in tangible terms, if you eat 200 calories worth of protein, your body will use between 40 and 70 of them in digestion. The most common estimate for the total thermic effect of food is around 10 percent of your total caloric intake, but as your protein intake increases so does this number.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you can eat whatever you want, but not as MUCH as you want. That is why this site is so great, because you can track exactly what you eat. With a digital scale and a bit of willpower (and a lot of honesty!) weightloss is inevitable.

What you eat is important too, but maybe not in the way you're thinking. Nutritional science has come a long way and now we know that there isn't really such a thing as a "clean" or a "dirty" food. Perhaps if you're allergic to a food, then it is dirty. If it is contaminated, it is dirty. And to an extent, processed foods which contain a large list of chemicals which have little nutritional value but rather are used for industrial processing and cost-cutting purposes, are dirty. But at the end of the day if you eat mostly whole foods, get a good amount of protein, eat under your maintenance calories, drink water, and exercise, then you're going to hopefully live a long and healthy life while looking and feeling great.

And if you want to have a glass of wine or some icecream or something like that, there is no reason you can't, but you MUST control how much of it you eat. A good rule is 80/20 - at least 80% of the whole food, dense in micronutrients and with minimal processing, and 20% for some fun stuff if you want it here and there.