No More TDEE posts

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what the average loss would be if you aim for TDEE-20%? How about if you aim for 2 lbs. a week? Wouldn't you be under BMR? I've seen people losing that much so I'm curious.

It depends on your size, activity level etc as to whether you will be under. Generally TDEE - 20% is about 1lb a week.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You're already arguing with a better informed, more articulate person than myself. Nothing I could say to penetrate that she has not already said.
    Good on her for having the patience to try to save others from your disinformation. I haven't got it.

So the answer is no.

So far no one has articulated a reason not to go below BMR if TDEE - 20% is below BMR. All we've had is some vague words like "it's what your body needs to survive."

There is absolutely no reason not to go a bit below BMR if you have been fairly inactive on a particular day. There's nothing magic about that number.

If the answer was "no" I would have said "no." But, thanks for demonstrating my earlier statement of "no cure."

Also, please contact the military. I'm sure they'd like to study your brain pan to help in the development of future body armor. Impenetrable is a desireable quality in that line.

You haven't articulated a reason.

BMR is a theoretical value. It's the number of calories your body WOULD use if you stayed in bed all day. We don't stay in bed all day (usually). Therefore, BMR is a theoretical value.

It's not like the body says "ok, these calories I'm burning are for BMR, and these calories I'm burning are for stuff on top of BMR - so I'll take the calorie deficit from the calories on top of BMR but I better have enough calories left over for BMR!" It doesn't work that way.

The calorie deficit comes from actual energy expenditure. Your calorie deficit is a result of calories actually used in a given day minus the calories eaten in a given day. The calories you would have used if you stayed in bed all day are irrelevant.

BMR is useful as a starting point for determining TDEE. There's nothing magic about the number. There's absolutely no reason in the world not to dip below it slightly on days you weren't very active.

We already have the term "broscience." I think I'm going to coin a new term: "MFPscience." The definition is "common knowledge on MFP that has no evidentiary or logical basis."

^^ This may be one of the most intelligent posts I have read on these forums in the past 6 months! Makes perfect common sense to me. And if you think about it, there is no way you can know for sure what your BMR is, without having it professionally tested, An online calculator, which can vary drastically from a different online calculator, can give you an estimate based on certain factors, but it cannot give you an exact number.
    Now as for TDEE, you can figure this number from experience, by logging your cals and exercise for several months, so you can figure this number more accurately. So take 500 off of your TDEE and you will lose a pound a week. No brainer. If that number puts you below the BMR number that Scooby or whoever says it should be, then the world will not come to an end.

Bottom line is that you are eating at a 500 cal deficit, which is what MFP recommends as a safe weight loss. People get too hung up on the 'never eat below your BMR thing'.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what the average loss would be if you aim for TDEE-20%? How about if you aim for 2 lbs. a week? Wouldn't you be under BMR? I've seen people losing that much so I'm curious.

It depends on your size, activity level etc as to whether you will be under. Generally TDEE - 20% is about 1lb a week.

Right but then 2 lbs a week would put you below BMR. Am I correct? I am thinking that would get you arrested on the MFP forums?
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I thought BMR was constant, and TDEE was the variable. BMR doesn't vary does it?

In other words, given an individual, their BMR is always the same, correct?

The other thing I want to point out is one of the diseases people suffer from is not thinking long term. No one does it. Example, "I eat below BMR and I'm fine". Another example, "they say smoking causes cancer, but I've been smoking for years, and I'm fine." There can be long term effects from bad decisions that don't seem to have any effect on you now. If you're curious, talk to someone with an ED.

I'm not suggesting your occasional dip below BMR is causing any harm at all, but the comment you made about, "I eat below BMR on some days and I'm fine" reminds me of what I said above.

However, what you didn't say initially that you are now saying is that your average is at or above BMR. You could have said that earlier and avoided pages and pages of silly back and forth. Nice trolling though. Good job dragging everyone through unneeded arguments.

Also, BMR is an estimate. Online calculators don't really know your BMR. maybe it is lower than you think.

QFT
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    I thought BMR was constant, and TDEE was the variable. BMR doesn't vary does it?

No, BMR depends on weight so as you loose weight/fat your BMR sinks. Although of course, generally BMR calculators don't take into account body fat which makes a differences as muscle uses more energy. So as your weight or body composition changes, your BMR changes.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No, BMR depends on weight so as you loose weight/fat your BMR sinks. Although of course, generally BMR calculators don't take into account body fat which makes a differences as muscle uses more energy. So as your weight or body composition changes, your BMR changes.

A pound of muscle only uses about 6 more calories a day than a pound of fat. I was surprised when I learned this.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Of course, but it doesn't flucuate liek TDEE, right? All things being equal, it is constant.

BMR changes slowly over time depending a lot of factors.

TDEE isn't something that's static. It's the sum of that day's BMR and the calories burned from activity that day. So TDEE is different every day unless you literally do the exact same thing every second of every day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Right but then 2 lbs a week would put you below BMR. Am I correct? I am thinking that would get you arrested on the MFP forums?

Not necessarily.

Someone who is very active can lose 2lb a week and be above their BMR. For example: say someone's BMR is 1,500 calories - they can have enough activity through exercise and NEAT to get that to 1,500 easily. So, a 1,000 cut will get them to their BMR, not below.

ETA: I am not saying this is a good idea as large deficits are an issue (context being applied of course) - just that it is possible.