How Many Pounds Does It Take YOU To Go Down A Size?

Options

Replies

• Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I don't know.. I have not dropped more than 3-4lbs in the last month and am almost down 2 (from a 14 to a comfortable 12 and almost 10).....

I blame it on lifting.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Depends on how big or small you currently are. When I started my weight loss, it took about 30 to 35 lbs to drop a size. That has decreased as I've gotten smaller. Now, it's between 10 and 15 lbs.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    It depends how tight you are comfortable with your pants. Personally I didn't go down to the next size until I could wear them very comfortably with no hint of a muffin top at all. It was just recently.. I know that right now I CAN fit into another size lower but I would rather wait until they are almost 'loose' so that I don't look like I'm trying to stuff myself in there. I have however gone down that extra size in shirts and dresses.

I have lost about 45 lbs and 'technically' 3 sizes so about 15lbs for me. I think it will also depend on how you lose weight / hold weight. I lose evenly all over. Some people will lose more on the top or bottom or face or other parts so it will take them longer to go down sizes. It really isn't going to be set in stone for everyone the same way.

Also as omma_to_3 said above.. It really depends how big you are right now.. Larger people will have to lose more weight before they see a difference where for a small person losing 5 lbs is VERY noticeable. I had to lose almost 40 lbs before people started to notice it. Yet if my boyfriend (who is very slender) gains 3 lbs he has to go UP a size.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I went down a pants size without losing a pound - lost fat and inches, but my scale stayed the same. :smile: The measuring tape is better than the scale!
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    I blame it on being epic.

fixed it for you
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Lol i think the 14s i was wearing when i was 20 lbs heavier were just way to tight, so now they actually fit me right. Hopefully in the next 10lbs i will be in 12s. I can get them on, but they don't look good yet lol
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45 pounds and gone from a tight 16 (US) to a loose 12. I think I'm almost in a 10 which will be 3 sizes. Planning to do some shopping this weekend to test this out :wink:
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    For me it was 12 lbs but that was combined with cardio/strength training 5-6 times a week.
  • mogzBH
    mogzBH Posts: 50
    Options
    For me it tends to be about 12lb - 15lbs between sizes for trousers and skirts, takes my top half a LOT longer to drop down a size because even if my arms, waist, everything else will fit my damn boobs just can't take the squeeze! Haha!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't rely on pounds. It's about lost inches.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I went down a pants size without losing a pound - lost fat and inches, but my scale stayed the same. :smile: The measuring tape is better than the scale!

This and all the lifting comments are also really good; if you're lifting heavy, the scale might not move while inches drop--so, again, "how many pounds before I lose a size" is hardly a good estimation.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I don't see a "proper" way to answer to this question. Some people can weigh exactly the same, but through heavy lifting and eating right can be up to 3 pant sizes smaller. It's all about your body composition and muscle vs. fat.

I'm with you on this one
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'd go with 15 lbs. I'm between sizes right now, so I'm wearing the larger size. It's irritating to have to hike up my belt line every few minutes when I walk though. I seem to loose fat in my butt and legs a lot faster then my middle. I can put on a size 14 right now, but I can't button them. They fit great EXCEPT at the waste line (my hips are narrower then my belly button area. So here I am, hiking up my size 16s because I have less butt.
  • kcook323
    kcook323 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, depends on your body type, and if you exercise. I always heard shorter people can tell a difference with less pounds than it takes taller people. Um, hope that made sense.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's not just about the pounds. I went down a full dress size without losing anything, due to my body changing shape and size through exercise.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Its all relative to size. When I weighed 250 lbs, I lost 35 lbs before I went from a 22 to an 18. (Had some 20's in there too, but loose fitting.) Then I had to lose almost 25 more to get into a 16. After that, I fit into a 14 at 185 lbs or so (I am 5'10), then stayed in a 12 for a very long time, until I was about 170? After that, went from 10 to 8 in no time but was building more muscle than losing weight - I think I stopped at 156 and was size 8 in pants and size 6 in dresses.

I wouldn't judge too much on clothing sizes. I'm in 8's and 10's now and can clearly see some of the 8's are made bigger than the 10's are. Don't let it get you down.
  • leradoms
    leradoms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I dropped 11 lbs and HAD to get a size smaller pants, they were falling down seriously. I can wear my old pants but with a pretty tight belt. I have only gone down about 1/2 a size on top though, which is where I carry my weight.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    15 lbs lost I went from a size 13/14 to a size 8. The next 11 lbs I only went down one more size to a 6.

It depends on your body type, where you lose your weight from, and bone structure as well.

Perhaps try taking measurements instead of looking at the weight on the scale to show progress in losing inches? Seeing as "weight lost" is widely different for everyone.
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    ... Some people can weigh exactly the same, but through heavy lifting and eating right can be up to 3 pant sizes smaller. It's all about your body composition and muscle vs. fat.

^^^THIS^^^ It depends on
    1) starting percentage body fat, i.e. Muscle vs. Fat,
    2) what is being done, i.e. simple calorie restriction or gaining muscle while also losing fat, and
    3) body shape
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    between 10-15 lbs