Share the REAL reasons why you're fat (or too thin)

Options

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I ate too much and moved too little. Got fat Got depressed about being fat. Ate more. Moved less. Got fatter. Repeat ad nauseum.

Yep me too

ditto
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was "fat". Then I got the crazy idea that starving myself would help make me skinny forever. I lost weight. I got too skinny. My body was like "*****, feed me!" I ate.. And ate.. And purged. And restricted. And binged. < Repeating those steps until my life was in complete chaos and I had gained back most of the weight I had lost. And now here I am.

But... I'm in a better place. Now I can lose weight in a healthy way. I can really give myself a challenge - every little accomplishment is a victory, not just something that I expect from only eating 500 cal or less/day. Losing weight isn't just about losing weight and watching the numbers go down... It's about feeling better about myself along the way and realizing that I have the strength to do anything I set my mind to. It's about getting healthy, not skinny. It's about showing that I can be an example for others to follow - something that's important to me since I'm determined to work in the medical field.
  • wantingmeback
    Options
    I ate too much and moved too little. Got fat Got depressed about being fat. Ate more. Moved less. Got fatter. Repeat ad nauseum.

This is me as well....... Just add a jealous insecure bf that complains about me working out. So I finally had enough of his redundant complaining and bought exercise equipment and put it in my bedroom and now he has nothing to complain about...... or at the very least I don't listen anymore!! I am tired of being "FAT" I want to be me again!!!
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating meat and potatoes. I lived on a farm and did chores and was in sports year round. I went off to college and didn't gain the freshmen 15 -- I drank a lot but I stayed pretty active. Then it stopped. I no longer played ball, but I certainly didn't change my eating habits. Boom -- sophomore 15. Then I met my husband to be. He's 6 foot and weighed 150 wet. He could eat anything at anytime at any amount and not gain weight -- he was trying. So I ate with him. Over the years it just kept coming - I was lazy and didn't do anything about it. Then we found out he couldn't have children - more weight. Finally getting pregnant -- high risk -- I couldn't even carry anything more than 10 pounds at a time. Had the baby, but didn't lose the baby weight. Then the stress of adopting our daughter. I'm a bored eater and a stressed eater now a days. Every time I would start to work out, I'd get frustrated that I couldn't do it without being totally exhausted. I just gave up.

Something changed in January. On January 7th, I just couldn't look at myself in the mirror anymore and pretend things were okay the way they were. My son wants me to play bball with him. My daughter wants to go ice skating with her. I'm sick of wearing victim glasses -- these were ALL choices that I made (bad choices, but mine). I'm going to get healthy and fit because I want my kids to look back and see me spending time with them, not just watching from the sidelines. I know it's going to be a long journey, but I've started it and already feel better than I have in years.
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 currently weighing in at 136.

I reached the weight of 163 TWICE in my life.

1st - I was depressed. My relationship was a failure, my home life was falling apart. Going out every weekend and trying to take the pain away with alcohol.

2nd - I was in another failure of a relationship, probably worse than the last one. It pretty much took over my whole life, flipped it and made it something it wasn't.

Today... I am FREE. Love YOURSELF above all else! Never let ANYONE take away the things that you love the most.
    I will never put myself through that again. I am in the best shape I have been since 2009. Good luck guys! :)

The sexiest thing a woman can wear is a smile!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I was easier for me to sit in my **** then to do something about it. Until I got sick of sitting in ****.
  • phoenixrizez
    phoenixrizez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I overeat...especially at night. I like sweets before I go to bed and last night I had peach cobbler and ice cream. I think that I have been sabatoging my own progress because I am an emotional eater and sometimes it is easier to eat than to deal with what I feel. I have decided to STOP doing that and begin blogging on here more. Yes...even more emotional rants coming from me but at least they don't equal calories on my diary ;)
  • Mphilli514
    Options
    My job is very low activity but high stress. I find myself walking during lunch just to get out of the office but that only depends on the weather. Up until now I havent had the funds to join and gym and I know everyone says all you need to do it go outside and run or walk but I have no motivation to do any of those things. Now at the gym I find it easier to see people who are going faster or pushing harder. Especially those who are larger then I am or have some sort of disability. My mentality is if they can do it you can too. I NEVER drink water in fact I could go days without it which probably is one of the causes for the weight gain. I found that if you write down what you will be eating it helps you stick to it. Also, I set a timer to force myself to drink water. The stress of work, low pay, bills on my own being a single young female(house, car, insurance etc..), less options for healthy food, and no activity at work were the reasons I gained my weight. I am the heaviest I have ever been at 183 and dropping due to the new organization I have in place for myself! Good luck everyone!
  • zac6
    zac6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Think it started way back when my kids were little- 4 close together- the only time i could claim for myself was time to eat. kids all hs and college now. ate for comfort and stress relief. spouse likes to eat and likes foods that i would have never eaten prechildren. Fried foods, sauces, gravies, butter..now taking responsibility for myself now and making time to exercise telling myself that i deserve to have time for these things making exercise a priority. Have spousal support on making exercise a priority and am still working on stopping myself from binging when stress and conflict occur or fatigue and desire for comfort and relaxing with food. trying to reinforce that these lifestyle changes are a daily choice and this is going to be along process to reach my goal weight and i cant give up. Lost 8lbs since new years.
  • jennifermarie16144
    Options
    When I was a child, my mom instilled in me that you have to clear your plate. To this day, I eat when I am full because I cannot leave anything on my plate. I also know that when I am full or not hungry, I have this feeling of being "safe". No matter what happens in my day, as long as I am not hungry, I am "safe". I also use food to fill me up when I have that empty emotional feeling. Food fills the void for me.
  • alednnz
    Options
    unhealthy food choices and lack of exercise and I was also a Yo-Yo Diet master
  • rede2go
    rede2go Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    A straight up honest answer for me.... being honest with myself. I am lazy. Want to be able to eat what I want and not do the work to burn it off. Well that is the old me anyway. Thankyou all for sharing such person stories I truly hope you all reach your goals. good luck everyone!!
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    When I was a child, my mom instilled in me that you have to clear your plate. To this day, I eat when I am full because I cannot leave anything on my plate. I also know that when I am full or not hungry, I have this feeling of being "safe". No matter what happens in my day, as long as I am not hungry, I am "safe". I also use food to fill me up when I have that empty emotional feeling. Food fills the void for me.

Oh, yes... The dreaded, Clean Your Plate Club.... I've always been a willing partipant of that group too, instilled in me as a youngster!
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    my fat was a shield after a sexual assualt. I know... crazy but it worked for a while... I am happy to say that I have dealt with my issues and am losing the weight...

Good for you! I'm in the same boat. Hugs :)

((((Hugz you back))))
  • MereExtraordinaire
    MereExtraordinaire Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Two reasons ...

1. I went to college. I did not have healthy eating habits and was relatively inactive, so I would sit in my dorm room playing video games or surfing the internet while eating flamin' hot Cheetohs. Oh, and don't forget all the nights of binge drinking at frat parties. I'm sure that didn't help.
    2. I met a guy whose idea of a good time was sitting inside all day playing video games. He did not like physical activity of any kind. As the relationship progressed and we moved in together, I allowed myself to become more and more uncomfortable eating whatever I wanted, however much I wanted, and spending my days in front of the tv. I could see that I was gaining weight, and I hated myself for it, but I had zero willpower to do anything about it.
  • red9812
    red9812 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Growing up I was the one singled out by the other girls in my school, on my street and in my church. I tried soooo hard to get them to like me. I used to follow them everywhere, even buy them gifts, which for a broke elementary student was a big deal. There must have been something wrong with me that made them hate me so much and I wish I would have known what it was. Because of this I have pretty much always had very low self esteem and was painfully shy. I hated myself. I even tried to kill myself once. That was in 9th grade.
    About 6th grade was when I started putting on weight. My family was pretty sedentary and my mom and dad's cooking was rich, creamy and delicious and we often went back for second helpings.
    My high school year I decided "Screw those girls who ruined my life!" and decided that no one was going to feel unloved and unwanted as long as they knew me. I was very popular in high school, though not with the "popular" kids. I was friends with all the "rejects", the nerds, anime freaks, goths, druggies. They were my friends and I loved them all. I don't think any of them noticed the mask I was wearing. I tried so hard to look happy and smile and go out of my way to say hi, but I was dying on the inside. I still hated myself, still wanted to die and considered it a few times, but didn't want to take the cowardly way out...
    That's pretty much it, sorry it's so long and such a downer. It's funny how I'm 24 now and even writing it as I am now is still painful and brings a lot of emotion with it. I am still pretty sedentary, but at least I exercise in the morning and am trying harder to eat better. I'm determined to become a me I can be proud of, one that I'll like looking at in the mirror, and maybe one that I can love.

There was nothing "wrong" with you. Kids are mean.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    Guilt, shame, boredom, whatever. I ate like it was a job. I was always a little chunkier than normal, but I really blew up due to sexual abuse. Food was my escape from having to concentrate on anything other than how good it tasted.

By the time I was 20, I was 350lbs and I decided to make a change, I just wasn't ready to do it the healthy way yet. I started restricting calories and purging when I went over my limits....eventually that developed into full blown *binging* and purging. I lost 100lbs in 7 months, but over the past 4 years I've put 50 of the lbs back on, even while still trying to restrict my diet. I've completely abused my metabolism, and it's finally time for the healthy change I should have started out with from day one.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Ate too much and didn't move enough! Got fat. Then I realized I hated looking in the mirror and changed things.
  • Danny0950
    Danny0950 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Drinking beer 2-4 times a week for the past 4 years since turning 18/ going to uni without doing the required exercise to balance it out. My eating habbits aren't that bad in all honesty so hopefully by reducing the amount of times i go out drinking and increasing my exercise, i should be ok.
  • mingecrackers
    Options
    Eating the same portion sizes as my boyfriend (And sometimes more), a massive sweet tooth, CHEESE